Expats sought to help Thailand’s tourism industry in its hour of need, end to dual pricing mooted

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

and the "two million expatriates" who work and live and have families in Thailand. 

To encourage the Thai market he is planning on utilizing the appeal of Thai celebs Weir Sukollawat and Bella Ranee for promotional material. 

I'm not sure that will work. As an expat living here I've never heard of "Thai celebs Weir Sukollawat and Bella Ranee".

Here's an idea, instead of ending dual pricing how about first continuing it with preferential reduced rates for expats that are cheaper than Thais? This will pay for past unfair practices and also make some overpriced Thai attractions more attractively priced to many expats stuck here, out of work and unable to travel to work due to covid.

Nah didn't think so, I'll get my coat.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Bella Ranee

She was in the hit TV series   that promoted "everyone" to go around dressed as  "olde Ayutthayins"

'Love Destiny' is about a woman archaeologist who, after a car accident, wakes up in the body of a woman living in Ayutthaya during the reign of King Narai the Great, who lived from 1632 to 1688.

670578476_bella2683230.jpg.e0cd7d190e5bfa81e8ef11f0b45e7781.jpg

19 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

I'm not sure that will work. As an expat living here I've never heard of "Thai celebs Weir Sukollawat and Bella Ranee".

Really? He is one of the more popular celebs and is always on TV and she popular and is his wife. Issan guy. Also they both have a tooth paste commercial on TV now as well so are regularly in yo face. They are currently really trending.

image.jpeg.06bbb84d47161c0990e6295b48046031.jpeg

Edited by holy cow cm

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The most sensible and positive words I have heard for a long time from a TAT spokesperson. I will hold my pessimism for a while.:coffee1:

Just don't hold your breath for a while!!!! 5555????????????????????????????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I believe most of the stranded tourists are doing there job at keeping what is left open ( I am at least). They are still spending money here, and due to the fact the doors are still locked, its good that the government extended the amnesty.

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

555....555 now they want/need us and came back begging......

You wish, very pleasing to the farang ego, but the original article implies no such thing. They're looking for ways to encourage domestic tourism and have targeted Thais previously. So expats are next in the list for some incentives as well. It's a tit-for-tat, actually.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

but are now being looked to as the potential saviours.

Gross exaggeration. No. Could be helpful, though.

"Save" is a TVF spin not found in the Thai Rath article. Worked beautifully as usual.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, johng said:

Why the hell just not say  "We are closed"  ???????

I totally agree but they probably have a marketing manager who thinks it looks bad! It's like businesses that claim to close for renovation when they've really closed because there's no custom. Very common practice in Phuket during low season. You can see there's no renovation when they open again!

• Like 1