Expats sought to help Thailand’s tourism industry in its hour of need, end to dual pricing mooted

webfact

This reminds me of when I visited Vancouver many years ago. On leaving the place I had to pay an “Airport Improvement Fee’. Why I had to fund someone else’s future business plans when I wouldn’t see any benefit myself was a mystery to me.

I always thought the usual business model is to offer something beneficial to your customer before attempting to entice them to buy.

Although I should have learnt by now that people that place themselves above others and seek a place in government are the least likely to have the management skills necessary to run a coconut shy business at a country fair.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

555....555 now they want/need us and came back begging......, all good no problem but we have a couple requests such as : No More dual pricing at ANY facilities, that includes hotels, restaurants, water parks, natural parks and so forth and since our purchasing power has been dropping on a daily basis due to baht appreciation, once and for all just depreciate the damn baht to allow us to spend some more money

Wishing them the worst ! Or they will have to beg more and do it well !

• Like 2

I'm not concerned with dual pricing while on tour...lets get the important things done first. a) Stop dual pricing at hospitals. b) let hospitals sort out a reasonable insurance scheme (like the one they had for Asians) for all expats. c) Drop the 90 day reporting and the newly enforced regulations regarding 800,000 Bt in the bank. d) give all expats longer extensions, like 2, 3 or even 5 years. When these are done then...don't know why I'm wasting my time to even think about it, it ain't gonna happen. I can't see them dropping dual pricing because...we all know why. 

• Like 2

Well, perhaps we should negotiate.

Here's my demand list before a single satang goes to tourism:

- All usurpers find the highest building and take a dive

- Army is put back to barracks and key thrown away

- New constitution and elections

- Permament residency route for non-working spouses is opened up

- Land ownership for foreigners with permanent residence

- 100% foreign company ownership, BOI-style, without the BOI

To start with. I'm sure others can add a few minor details or so. 

And BTW this needs to be done yesterday.

Will be waiting for your approval and fruitful co-operation going forward, khop khun khraaaaapp (forgot, TAT must be dismantled and MoPH required to disclose all it's testing numbers. Oh, and no Chinese or Russians allowed in. And....).

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, johng said:

Why the hell just not say  "We are closed"  ???????

Its just like the requirements to re-enter Thailand. Should just say we are just closed as well. Must be something about Thainess.

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Someone should tell him there is a very long list to start work on.

I do find it amusing that we have been slagged off chronically through the Covid drama, but are now being looked to as the potential saviours.

Only till your purse empties.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

We might well be interested if Immigration didn't make life so hard for us expats . I would like to travel around the country but they insist on knowing where we are all the time and with all the reports they want from us i just go to the supermarket .

What reports would that be.. TM30 have been dropped this year (or at least once per residence / visa). 

I dare say that there are a lot of expats that are unforgiving (page 1), that was enough for me.

The fact of the matter is that Mr Richard Barrow has done a great job in raising awarness to the Thai's of a thorn that has stuck in most of our necks with double pricing, we should be grateful......well done Richard, instead of p-i-s-s-i-n-g and moaning like the rest of us, he has been proactive in achieving something big for us, so we should get behind him and stock carrying on, begging us, get on their knees, oh please, so insensivitive you lot are, they would never beg or get on their knees as you lot wouldn't so sobber up.

I for one will support the Thai tourism industry by going on holidays, the kids love it, we love it and it is something we have been doing since living here 5 years now, that said, won't be paying 85% more for those hotels who want to try to up their prices during long weekends, in fact will not be supporting them when we can avoid them, although it is hard as they are the only ones that offer the double bunks in the room price, why others don't is beyond me, perhaps the hotel association can advise their members to put in double bunks in their rooms big enough to accommodate them for families as opposed to trying to charge them for two rooms (separating the family), or charging 800 baht for an extra fold up bed while the other kid has to sleep with the parents, not enjoyable either way.

The above said, I will write them a letter myself as I think it's a great idea, hotel rooms with a double bunk in them, they can up the room charge within reason when a family with two kids occupy them, or charge a standard price when a couple or a single person uses the room because the others are occupied, now there's thinking outside the square, rooms which would be multi person purpose rooms....lol  

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mavideol said:

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/minister-encourages-thai-hotels-to-stop-price-gouging-expats

Minister Phiphat says the Tourism Authority of Thailand will continue to work with hoteliers and travel associations to “ensure expats will receive the same hotel rates as locals”. But he admitted that his Ministry is unable to stop dual pricing in the near future as the issue falls under different ministries.

on top of that they blamed us for importing covid19

overpriced accommodations  & ongoing misinformation about foreigners being ‘responsible’ for bringing Covid 19  into the country.

and they are asking for our help,  that's the joke of the week 555

Don't flatter yourself, you ain't the savior,  neither here nor anywhere

• Haha 1

I think one soluton to the rising unemployment would be to let exoats work on any visa.There is a wealth of experience and opportunity getting wasted ???? This would give Thais opportunity to learn and develop .Income could be taxed and  help fill the gap left by the tourism sector.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, davemos said:

I think one soluton to the rising unemployment would be to let exoats work on any visa.There is a wealth of experience and opportunity getting wasted ???? This would give Thais opportunity to learn and develop .Income could be taxed and  help fill the gap left by the tourism sector.

This is probably one of the best ideas I have heard in a longtime.

Expats are here because most of them have been successful in their own Countries and moved here on the success.

Lawyers, Engineers, Doctors Etc Etc Etc. All those skills and all that experience not being tapped.

Skills and Experience that would transform Thailand as a nation if they could be taught.

But no, we are not allowed to Educate these people to our high standards.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bluetongue said:

5 pages so far of mostly whinging about dual pricing - been here 11 years, been coming and going for 30 rarely seen it, TM30s - done 1 in 11 years, so much negative and hostile waffle. All because some article mentioned that some tourism guy thought it a good idea to encourage a few expats to try a few different places. A lot of you should be ashamed of yourselves for such a childish, selfish display, in a country which by the way has kept you pretty safe during a pandemic. Sure nothing's perfect but that's life. Might go somewhere I haven't been before in the next months. 

"TM30s - done 1 in 11 years, so much negative and hostile waffle". Only done one TM30 in 14 years, because I came back from abroad, never had 400.000 or 800.000 Bt in a Thai bank account, I will leave that to the "scared of your own shadow" brigade.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1