Expats sought to help Thailand’s tourism industry in its hour of need, end to dual pricing mooted

webfact

5 hours ago, lupin said:

Perhaps farang might be more interested in spending their dollars while traveling if, for example, restaurants didnt have policies refusing to serve said farang

I've never, in the 20 years that I've traveled and lived here, been refused service in any establishment. What state were you in when they refused to serve you? 

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

This is probably one of the best ideas I have heard in a longtime.

Expats are here because most of them have been successful in their own Countries and moved here on the success.

Lawyers, Engineers, Doctors Etc Etc Etc. All those skills and all that experience not being tapped.

Skills and Experience that would transform Thailand as a nation if they could be taught.

But no, we are not allowed to Educate these people to our high standards.

Yes so successful that they can not keep 800000 in the bank????.

so many foreign owned businesses claiming to be experts and charging premium yet providing below average service 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, djayz said:

I've never, in the 20 years that I've traveled and lived here, been refused service in any establishment. What state were you in when they refused to serve you? 

There a big hoo har a couple of days ago about a restaurant not serving foreigners along with viral video.

1 hour ago, davemos said:

I think one soluton to the rising unemployment would be to let exoats work on any visa.There is a wealth of experience and opportunity getting wasted ???? This would give Thais opportunity to learn and develop .Income could be taxed and  help fill the gap left by the tourism sector.

I was a 7/11 clerk back home. Surely Im impotent?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, FNQ said:

Yes , i check online first then approach the Hotel to give them the option of cash.

Funny though in some cases i have been told to book on line using the computer in the recption area because it is cheaper . Go figure.

Me too, usually when I decide to book more nights.

22 minutes ago, djayz said:

Actually .... I have many times when I lived in Bangkok. Nearly all the Japanese clubs and bars would refuse me entrance. They would also refuse Thais.

I'll gladly start travelling and spending here again as soon as: 

* I'm treated like a tax paying resident who works and resides here legally (by that I mean I want to be treated like a normal human being),

* they permanently abolish dual pricing,

* they prohibit tuk-tuk/taxi drivers beeping and shouting at me/us when I/we go for a stroll, 

*properly train those employed in the hospitality industry. As part of their training, they should be educated not to pick their noses in the restaurant or kitchen, not groom their hair or clip/file finger nails while anywhere near food and they should clean tables and cutlery thoroughly, 

* tell the BIB to stop targeting farang for driving offenses which their countrymen commit a million times more often, 

* prohibit the brain dead street vendors from walking up to restaurant tables trying to sell their wares,

*clean up the parks, roadsides, canals, rivers, etc.,

*tackle the soi dog population explosion (sorry it that upsets some of you, but it really is a problem which should be tackled asap. Some of those muts pose a real health hazard). 

I could go on ad infinitum, but those are my main grievances. 

Having said that, I've had pretty positive experiences while travelling here, but I can't help but feel that if the above mention problems (and a few others) were solved, it could be so much better. 

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

Personally, I wish The Kingdom nothing but the worst. And honestly...everything bad for Thailand is actually good for me and my Thai family. 

Likewise. Proof is, Thai economy crashing? Look the exchange rate is back in our favor!

• Like 1

Now the financial economic situation is FINALLY biting them hard in the raer end. Now they are FINALLY realizing the economic fall out that has been created. Now they are asking expats to spend money when they slagged is off and accused the dirty farangs being responsible for Covid19. Now they want you to turn the country back around.

what a false.

• Like 1

As nearly all the expats in Thailand don't want to take part (by the majority of comments here) in helping to save poor Thailand from the fruits of its own government/s led xenophobia. Maybe they should let us who are stranded outside back in to kick start the economy? 

We promise to be good little servile farangs if you will let us back in. We promise to never raise the spectre of your throwing us out with the rubbish already.

• Like 1

The statistic that stood out to me was 12million Thais go abroad every year. That's a huge amount considering we keep getting told how little they earn. 

I also don't expect the dual pricing to end any time soon considering the new hospital tariffs that were confirmed a few months back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hank Gunn said:

But the key is, "really trending" with who? They may be famous with Thais but doubt many expats know who they are and if they do, they'd be a small minority.

Guilty as charged. I do watch and enjoy thai tv sometimes. Me and the wife recently watching a show or two he was in and there was One from old times she was in. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, GigsGigs said:

Likewise. Proof is, Thai economy crashing? Look the exchange rate is back in our favor!

Not sure what your currency, but mine is U$D and it is down against the TH฿ about 2% since mid-July and down more than 5% since early April. But hopefully in the longer run!

• Like 2