Jump to content
BANGKOK
phetphet

Things turning on after electricity drop off.

Recommended Posts

Just bought a new TV and AVR.

With all this bad weather we have been having over the past week, (strong winds and rain), the electricity supply keeps cutting in and out, phase dropping off, or just going off for periods, then coming back on.

Every time it comes back on, my new TV, and several other things, including one air con unit, switch themselves on.

It is annoying at night time, when that one aircon unit, comes on of its own accord, or the tv comes on, but I am more worried about any damage these supply fluctuations might do. I will buy another UPS to try and protect this TV. Don't know if I can do anything about the air con.

 

The thing is, it never happened with my old TV which was just plugged into the wall, and doesn't happen with my other AC units. Just in one bedroom.

 

Can anyone explain why this happens? Is there any way to prevent this? I have started turning off the power to the socket for the TV when not in use, until I can get another UPS.

 

TIA

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the TV a Sharp by any chance? We have a 45" Sharp in the lounge which turns itself on at seemingly random times, could be supply fluctuations but I really have no idea why. 

 

Nothing else in the house does it.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Can anyone explain why this happens? Is there any way to prevent this?

There is usually a section in the settings to govern the way they work, you may need an AC tech to change the setup for the AC. 
 

our AC will only come on if it was on when the power went out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Is the TV a Sharp by any chance? We have a 45" Sharp in the lounge which turns itself on at seemingly random times, could be supply fluctuations but I really have no idea why. 

 

Nothing else in the house does it.

 

No. It's a Samsung. New 2020 model. My old one never did it even though plugged into the same socket as the new one is. woke up the other night wondering what the bright light was in the living room. Got up to check and the TV was on. happened a few times now. I am just switching off at the socket now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you using the remote to "turn off" after a power failure?  If I need to make sure stuff stays off when power resumes, I either off the breaker or, like you, turn off at the socket.  Our Samsung TV's ranging from a 10 year old plazma to a G7 and G9 Smart have never done that.  Cheers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Are you using the remote to "turn off" after a power failure?  If I need to make sure stuff stays off when power resumes, I either off the breaker or, like you, turn off at the socket.  Our Samsung TV's ranging from a 10 year old plazma to a G7 and G9 Smart have never done that.  Cheers.

Yes, I turn off with the remote. I also turn off the AVR and whichever source; Apple TV, NVIDIA Shield or other box. nevewr bothered before with the sockets because I never had this problem. Now switching off at socket when I go to bed or when the power problems start.

Some devices, Shield, router are connected via a strip to a UPS. I will now buy another UPS to protect the TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, GregTN said:

Ours did that too however it is an LG tv.  To stop the problem there was a setting in the menu under power/eco settings that would make the tv start up quicker when it was off.  I turned this setting off and it fixed the problem.

 

I was just creating a post when you replied.

 

Many devices these days you put in sleep mode, so they start up right away when you press power button, but it also mean they turn on when power cycles.

 

Same as with a PC. I usually put my PC in sleep at night, but that means that if I had a power cut during the night, I will wake up to a running PC

 

So you need to look in the settings to define what the power button does.

Edited by Susco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, phetphet said:

No. It's a Samsung. New 2020 model. My old one never did it even though plugged into the same socket as the new one is. woke up the other night wondering what the bright light was in the living room. Got up to check and the TV was on. happened a few times now. I am just switching off at the socket now.

Go into setting and locate CEC and turn it off. My TV CEC is in the Sound and Display section.My TV is LG and it fixed the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Used to happen that all my aircons would come on after a power outage. I don't know why it happened but I put a wall mounted on/off switch in all my aircon circuits. I assume your aircons are remote controlled, it never used to happen with my manual ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Susco said:

Many devices these days you put in sleep mode, so they start up right away when you press power button, but it also mean they turn on when power cycles

In your Windows Settings Power Options, set it to go to sleep after say 15 minutes. Then if it does turn on after a power cut, it will go back to sleep soon.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Crossy said:

Is the TV a Sharp by any chance? We have a 45" Sharp in the lounge which turns itself on at seemingly random times, could be supply fluctuations but I really have no idea why. 

 

Nothing else in the house does it.

 

put it on an external on/off switch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a dehumidifier that will return to the state it was in after a power cut, one of the requirements for it is that it should not be switched off then back on without around a 3 minute period for the  compressor etc to cycle back to the resting state. We have frequent power cuts here, daily is not unusual, many last a few seconds. As you can understand this could easily trash a quiet expensive (40k) machine, the cure was to add an NVR switch to its power line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...