Things turning on after electricity drop off.

phetphet

Just bought a new TV and AVR.

With all this bad weather we have been having over the past week, (strong winds and rain), the electricity supply keeps cutting in and out, phase dropping off, or just going off for periods, then coming back on.

Every time it comes back on, my new TV, and several other things, including one air con unit, switch themselves on.

It is annoying at night time, when that one aircon unit, comes on of its own accord, or the tv comes on, but I am more worried about any damage these supply fluctuations might do. I will buy another UPS to try and protect this TV. Don't know if I can do anything about the air con.

The thing is, it never happened with my old TV which was just plugged into the wall, and doesn't happen with my other AC units. Just in one bedroom.

Can anyone explain why this happens? Is there any way to prevent this? I have started turning off the power to the socket for the TV when not in use, until I can get another UPS.

TIA

• Like 1

Is the TV a Sharp by any chance? We have a 45" Sharp in the lounge which turns itself on at seemingly random times, could be supply fluctuations but I really have no idea why. 

Nothing else in the house does it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phetphet said:

Can anyone explain why this happens? Is there any way to prevent this?

There is usually a section in the settings to govern the way they work, you may need an AC tech to change the setup for the AC. 

our AC will only come on if it was on when the power went out.

56 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Is the TV a Sharp by any chance? We have a 45" Sharp in the lounge which turns itself on at seemingly random times, could be supply fluctuations but I really have no idea why. 

No. It's a Samsung. New 2020 model. My old one never did it even though plugged into the same socket as the new one is. woke up the other night wondering what the bright light was in the living room. Got up to check and the TV was on. happened a few times now. I am just switching off at the socket now.

Are you using the remote to "turn off" after a power failure?  If I need to make sure stuff stays off when power resumes, I either off the breaker or, like you, turn off at the socket.  Our Samsung TV's ranging from a 10 year old plazma to a G7 and G9 Smart have never done that.  Cheers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Are you using the remote to "turn off" after a power failure?  If I need to make sure stuff stays off when power resumes, I either off the breaker or, like you, turn off at the socket.  Our Samsung TV's ranging from a 10 year old plazma to a G7 and G9 Smart have never done that.  Cheers.

Yes, I turn off with the remote. I also turn off the AVR and whichever source; Apple TV, NVIDIA Shield or other box. nevewr bothered before with the sockets because I never had this problem. Now switching off at socket when I go to bed or when the power problems start.

Some devices, Shield, router are connected via a strip to a UPS. I will now buy another UPS to protect the TV.

5 minutes ago, GregTN said:

Ours did that too however it is an LG tv.  To stop the problem there was a setting in the menu under power/eco settings that would make the tv start up quicker when it was off.  I turned this setting off and it fixed the problem.

I was just creating a post when you replied.

Many devices these days you put in sleep mode, so they start up right away when you press power button, but it also mean they turn on when power cycles.

Same as with a PC. I usually put my PC in sleep at night, but that means that if I had a power cut during the night, I will wake up to a running PC

So you need to look in the settings to define what the power button does.

Edited by Susco

16 hours ago, phetphet said:

No. It's a Samsung. New 2020 model. My old one never did it even though plugged into the same socket as the new one is. woke up the other night wondering what the bright light was in the living room. Got up to check and the TV was on. happened a few times now. I am just switching off at the socket now.

Go into setting and locate CEC and turn it off. My TV CEC is in the Sound and Display section.My TV is LG and it fixed the issue.

Used to happen that all my aircons would come on after a power outage. I don't know why it happened but I put a wall mounted on/off switch in all my aircon circuits. I assume your aircons are remote controlled, it never used to happen with my manual ones.

10 hours ago, Susco said:

Many devices these days you put in sleep mode, so they start up right away when you press power button, but it also mean they turn on when power cycles

In your Windows Settings Power Options, set it to go to sleep after say 15 minutes. Then if it does turn on after a power cut, it will go back to sleep soon.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

put it on an external on/off switch

I have a dehumidifier that will return to the state it was in after a power cut, one of the requirements for it is that it should not be switched off then back on without around a 3 minute period for the  compressor etc to cycle back to the resting state. We have frequent power cuts here, daily is not unusual, many last a few seconds. As you can understand this could easily trash a quiet expensive (40k) machine, the cure was to add an NVR switch to its power line.

19 hours ago, phetphet said:

Sounds like a scene from "Get Shorty".    Was Karen there?  ????

22 hours ago, phetphet said:

...I will buy another UPS to try and protect this TV. ...

I've never found a UPS that didn't start beeping when the electricity went off (that was 7-8  yrs ago and since then I quit looking). If you find one that doesn't beep, let me know. I'd love to have one for my fan.

I've learned a bit from all the other replies. Good topic. (BTW, I unplug my TV and computers every night).

15 hours ago, phetphet said:

Yes, I turn off with the remote. I also turn off the AVR and whichever source; Apple TV, NVIDIA Shield or other box. nevewr bothered before with the sockets because I never had this problem. Now switching off at socket when I go to bed or when the power problems start.

Some devices, Shield, router are connected via a strip to a UPS. I will now buy another UPS to protect the TV.

If I turn on my Panasonic TV using a remote, and there's a power cut,it will turn on automatically when the power comes back. That's normal,the TV remembers how it was turned on. Same with my Panasonic aircon units. That's the way I want it to work. Other brands might work differently,though. 

22 hours ago, phetphet said:

Ghost GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

5 hours ago, Snackbar said:

Using a quality extension lead with an off switch has some benefits. Turn everything off when not in use.

Equipment won’t consume power while in standby. 

Offers fluctuations and surge protection.

Your equipment won’t turn itself on unexpectedly.

Increase the life span of loved appliances. 

Very simple.

Of course you are right. But I am now turning off the switch for each device on the strip individually, as my router is plugged into it, and I like to keep the internet on all the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I've never found a UPS that didn't start beeping when the electricity went off (that was 7-8  yrs ago and since then I quit looking). If you find one that doesn't beep, let me know. I'd love to have one for my fan.

I've learned a bit from all the other replies. Good topic. (BTW, I unplug my TV and computers every night).

"BTW, I unplug my TV and computers every night."

That's what old people back home used to do. May I ask how old you are? A desk top computer is not supposed to be turned off every night and especially not for a longer period. That's because the power supply in the computer is backing up the 5V BIOS-battery using a 5V stand by which is always on when the computer is plugged in. If the battery runs too low, the computer while starting up will give you a warning. If you're unlucky the batteri voltage is to low and then the default BIOS-settings will kick in and very likely your computer won't work properly until someone more computer savvy enters BIOS and adjust the settings. I don't know how many times this happened (and still does) to older friends and their friends when they did exactly what you do every night. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/4/2020 at 7:52 AM, Matzzon said:

Your only hope in this world will be a backup diesel generator. Guess what sound that one will make starting at 02.30 when the power goes off.

Only hope?

Haven't they invented the idea of solar panels and a large battery? Sounds like this time next year I could be a billionaire. ????

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

"BTW, I unplug my TV and computers every night."

That's what old people back home used to do. May I ask how old you are? A desk top computer is not supposed to be turned off every night and especially not for a longer period. That's because the power supply in the computer is backing up the 5V BIOS-battery using a 5V stand by which is always on when the computer is plugged in. If the battery runs too low, the computer while starting up will give you a warning. If you're unlucky the batteri voltage is to low and then the default BIOS-settings will kick in and very likely your computer won't work properly until someone more computer savvy enters BIOS and adjust the settings. I don't know how many times this happened (and still does) to older friends and their friends when they did exactly what you do every night. 

no computer is made to be turned off ever.

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2020 at 1:26 PM, Crossy said:

This is just a guess, but it is a possibility. 

If there is a quick power off/on or significant voltage drop suddenly. As soon as the voltage becomes normal your TV does it as setting in the menu. 
If your TV is sharp you need to go to:

1-Menu:

2-Setting

3-Power on status 

and set it to desirable mode (3 different mode For power). 
"Stand By" mode should be the right one for you.

hopefully that would be the case.

Edited by The Theory

On 8/4/2020 at 12:26 PM, phetphet said:

or the tv comes on

If you TV is Sharp

This is just a guess, but it is a possibility.

If there is a quick power off/on. As soon as the voltage becomes normal your TV does it as setting in the menu.

go to:
1-Menu:

2-Setting

3-Power on status 

and set it to desirable mode (3 different mode For power). 
Change it to "stand by".

hopefully that would be the case.

Edited by The Theory

On 8/4/2020 at 1:26 PM, Crossy said:

...and no mention yet of Thai ghosts and needing to build a Sala?

• Haha 1