Mailed IRS Tax Returns by Surface Mail, still in Thailand

I mailed my tax returns to the IRS via Thai Post and due to COVID-19 it had to be surface mail registered. So I went with that route. I sent it in back in May but it looks like it’s still at the airport “Outward EO”. 

has anyone else mailed-surface their tax returns and hasn’t left Thailand?

Edited by ShindenGo

My American friend sent a package   to his brother in 2 months ago  EMS tracking says it got to Swampypoom Airport   never reached USA    the local post office says its due to America not excepting any mail from Thailand due to Covid (zombies)...why would USA not except mail from Thailand  when there have been no Covid (zombies) reported in Thailand for months ?????

Whether surface or air, registered mail can be exceedingly slow because of the way it's handled.

Of course, those online reports of location are never fully accurate.

Anyway, so long as it bears an official foreign postmark before the filing deadline, you're protected.

18 hours ago, ShindenGo said:

I mailed my tax returns to the IRS via Thai Post and due to COVID-19 it had to be surface mail registered.

Do you remember which service you used? Or how much it cost?

Some options now include EMS World (Document) for 880 baht, and CourierPost (ThaiPost partnership with DHL) for 990 baht. (CourierPost seems to get good reviews here.)

I sent a letter, via ThaiPost EMS World (Document) to my (old) States (MA) Dept. of Revenue on July 21, was delivered July 30. Addressed to a P.O. Box, but delivered to the correct address, which was a surprise.

Once the item hits U.S. Customs you can track it at 

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction

where I found real-time details, including alerts (SMS/email) available. The ThaiPost EMS Track & Trace site still shows my letter at Suvarnabhumi.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Do you remember which service you used? Or how much it cost?

Back in May I had to use Registered Surface which was about 500 THB. It’s been stuck at the airport since then. I’ve always used air registered in the past. My tax guy finished my taxes way back Feb-Mar but because of the lockdown he couldn’t go back to his office until May to mail me my documents

Sorry, this is 2020 not sure why anyone would mail tax returns especially from a foreign country.

Theft and resulting fraud are risks.

Electronic filing usually will give you an acceptance within 24 hours and I got my refund electronically sent to my account within 10 days.

Case closed.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

" . . . not sure why anyone would mail tax returns especially from a foreign country. Theft and resulting fraud are risks. Electronic filing usually will give you an acceptance within 24 hours."

Because you can't file directly with the IRS. You have to file through a private third-party service. That introduces the same sort of risks of "theft and resulting fraud" as using the mail. Unless you believe the computers of H&R Block et al. are utterly beyond hacking or other data leakage.

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Sorry, this is 2020 not sure why anyone would mail tax returns especially from a foreign country.

Theft and resulting fraud are risks.

Electronic filing usually will give you an acceptance within 24 hours and I got my refund electronically sent to my account within 10 days.

Case closed.

Wish I could efile but IRS doesn’t let me so paper route it is! Pretty much it’s all about COVID-19. I used to use airmail registered but only surface mail registered was the only one I could use a few months ago. 

9 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I would plug the EMS number into the USPS Tracking tool, see if you get a hit.

Unfortunately no updates. Just says:

“Origin Post is Preparing Shipment 
We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece. 

May 30, 2020, 9:26 am 
Acceptance 
THAILAND”

Well I guess I’m at the mercy of Thai Post for now. If it ever does get there past October I have the original receipt, thai post and usps screenshots of original postage date. 

"I would plug the EMS number into the USPS Tracking tool, see if you get a hit."

He sent it registered, not EMS. And about five years ago, USPS stopped providing online tracking information for registered mail coming from overseas, at least for registered mail coming from certain countries. (The mail is still tracked, USPS just blocks you from seeing the tracking information online. Seriously.)

https://www.singpost.com/services-announcement/usa-–-registered-letter-mail

https://www.hongkongpost.hk/en/sending_mail/international/index.html (note 3)

USPS did this of course to force international senders who want tracking to use one of the more expensive services that offer tracking.

Edited by taxout
6 hours ago, ShindenGo said:

Unfortunately no updates. Just says:

“Origin Post is Preparing Shipment 
We have received notice that the originating post is preparing to dispatch this mail piece. 

May 30, 2020, 9:26 am 
Acceptance 
THAILAND”

Well I guess I’m at the mercy of Thai Post for now. If it ever does get there past October I have the original receipt, thai post and usps screenshots of original postage date. 

OK.

Then I would send it again, state that situation with a brief cover note (maybe with receipts and screenshots), and send it via EMS World (Document) or CourierPost. Should take 10 - 14 days.

• 3 weeks later...

In case anyone is still following this thread, my tax return, which I sent by registered mail from Bangkok on March 19th, has now been processed and my refund was posted to my bank account on August 19th. Both USPS and Thai Post tracking websites still show the return as being in transit and sitting in the Austin, TX mail facility.

Edited by Etaoin Shrdlu
Punctuation.
  • Thanks 1

I use Priority Mail for anything I mail to the U.S.   Of course I don't mail much, but it has always (14 years here) been a bit risky sending things by regular mail.  32 years ago I would send and receive regular "Air Mail" to my soon to be bride, and it always got delivered promptly both ways.......You know how long ago that was......only fifty cents from California to Here!!  They didn't have Priority Mail then either.......I always used FedEx for important mail.