United States Notary in Bangkok - NOT US Embassy

I am selling a condo located in Massachusetts, USA remotely. Everything was going fine doing so, I was using Docusign and other tools until it came time to notarize a document related to the sale. I am aware there are online notary services like notarize.com but that may not be accepted in my situation.

Typically I would go to the US embassy in Bangkok to get this done but due to the emergency decree they are only accepting notary on a case-by-case... emergency basis which I am almost certain not to qualify. In fact I don't even see a place to make appointments online on their site like you could before Covid. 

Does anyone know of any lawyers or service providers in Bangkok that can provide notary services that'd be recognized by US banks, lawyers etc? 

The US Embassy Consulate Service is the notary service - Thailand is not a signatory.  I would check to see if you can use online service as believe many states now allow it - if not get a record of that not being allowed then call the Embassy as believe it would then be emergency service.  You might check this website first.

https://www.notarize.com/local/states/massachusetts

There is form you have to complete for a "emergency appointment" near the bottom of this page on embassy website.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/acsappointment/

Note the form Is in Thai and English but they are just additional help for Thais to complete the form.

I think the are fairly flexible about doing them now from what I have heard.

• Like 2

I know a guy that used an "international notary" to collect an inheritance in California.  He paid 1000, but it was a legal office on the perimeter of the CM Consulate.  DocuSign works better for buyers.  I have heard of no wet signatures, but mostly, the sellers signature needs to be witnessed.  I did one the day before coming here once, and got the funds a few days later, after correcting two errors they made.  Look for an immigration attorney type office that helps people with paperwork for the US.  You may even find a us attorney or two here that are public notaries, but they tend to be State specific.  I have seen many deeds that were notarized in California and recorded in Arizona, so there is at least some reciprocity.  Perhaps, give the records office/clerk of the court a call in the jurisdiction where the deed will be recorded and tell them your situation.

Edited by moontang

I just verified that the agency/law firm by USC CM is Star Visa..and it is 1000..now you could possibly have to get that authenticated and still need the USC, but my friend never mentioned that.  Give them a call at Star, and tell them you need it in BKK.

It turns out Massachusetts will only allow virtual notaries if I am physically in the state which seems to negate the point in the first place. So I am still looking for a US notary in Thailand. I have just emailed Star Visa.

46 minutes ago, wasabi said:

It turns out Massachusetts will only allow virtual notaries if I am physically in the state which seems to negate the point in the first place. So I am still looking for a US notary in Thailand. I have just emailed Star Visa.

As said that is the US Consulate.  Thailand is not part of the Hague Convention so local notarization may not be accepted outside of Thailand. 

Edited by lopburi3

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update to this thread. I filled out the form on the US Embassy website requesting an emergency notary appointment, I had to attest to the fact I could not use an online notary which unfortunately I cannot in this case. I explained I am the executor of an estate and legally bound to complete the disbursement of all assets including real estate which could only be notarized in person. There was no calendar like before but I was asked to type in a few different dates I would like so I did.

To my surprise 2 days later my emergency appointment was approved and my earliest date request was approved. I went to the embassy at the appointed time and it was the fastest I have ever been in and out. There was only one person ahead of me and apparently he was missing some paperwork and was summarily dismissed. Much to my relief my documents were in order and I was in and out of there quickly. I did use the suggest blank US Embassy notary affidavit which probably helped.

• Thanks 1