400,000 bahts Rules for Non O extension married

Dear Visa experts

If LOS boarders remain closed I think I'll need to follow this route.

Unless  there any other options other than elite/retirement? I've no plans to become a monk, journalist or guardian of Thai kids etc, Non O married seems only simple affordable option within LOS ?

I would be quite happy to pay for an ED visa but cannot actually attend regularly in person due to location and health, I cannot imagine real Ed visas for online ?

After asking Local Office requires 3 months seasoning which I can do now.

I'd prefer to get the visa issued in November when I am always in Thailand, it is also when my present ME non O would expire , if borders re-open I could do a bounce and gain another 90 days but November is fine too.

QUESTIONS

1 Does money need to remain in same account / bank after application is so how long? Once visa in passport am I free to move into our joint account as I seldom leave house and trust my wife to handle all the bills etc.

2 Will renewal date be anniversary of application or date granted ?

3 Is it still necessary to show source of funds as my Bank Statements don't show ?

My embassy no longer does income letter.

4 Is a Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn deposit account acceptable, both these accounts allow instant access (with a loss of minimal interest as a penalty).

I apologise if this has all been asked before but so many different interpretations over the years its hard to keep track.Once funds allow I think elite possibly for me but my wife correctly sees it as poor value while I am still able to conduct my own affairs albeit increasingly slowly.

Thank you in anticipation and stay safe, while we all moan about our hosts from time to time the local response to Covid confirms my choice to stay, Keep safe everyone.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

QUESTIONS

1 Does money need to remain in same account / bank after application is so how long? Once visa in passport am I free to move into our joint account as I seldom leave house and trust my wife to handle all the bills etc.

3 Is it still necessary to show source of funds as my Bank Statements don't show ?

My embassy no longer does income letter.

4 Is a Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn deposit account acceptable, both these accounts allow instant access (with a loss of minimal interest as a penalty).

1/ 2 months before and some offices like it to stay in during the 'under consideration' period

2/ yes, the only way to change would be if your passport is due to expire within a year of application, they will date the extension to the expiry date of the passport

3/ no need

4/ i would think so

Thanks Steve 

for a prompt and helpful reply

As to my question 2 

Can you or anyone with hands on experience please clarify for me?

is renewal date , the date of the extension, a friend was given only 11 months, i.e they dated his renewal 12 months from his date of application which was only 11 months from the date of issuance..

Edited by RubbaJohnny
typo

44 minutes ago, RubbaJohnny said:

As to my question 2 

Can you or anyone with hands on experience please clarify for me?

is renewal date , the date of the extension, a friend was given only 11 months, i.e they dated his renewal 12 months from his date of application which was only 11 months from the date of issuance..

Normally a extension will start from the end of your current permit to stay date which would be the end of your 90 day entry. For the next extension it would start when you current extension ends.

Under the amnesty it hard to predict when they will start one since it may very from office to office. It should start from the day you apply while on the "automatic extension" under the amnesty. 

Was you friend by chance changing the reason for his extension from retirement to marriage or vice versa. When that is done the extension starts from the day you apply. They consider the new application as canceling the current extension.

• Like 1

Thanks as ever Joe yes he married so that explains that.

I guess the only way to find is from the horse's mouth.

Think I'll pop in try get a 60 day at end of August plus offer a 9 day if they want it.

Or should I wait until September and risk a fine for no 90 day but not "waste " my only bite at a 60 day in case they extend teh amnesty yet again?

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Normally a extension will start from the end of your current permit to stay date which would be the end of your 90 day entry. For the next extension it would start when you current extension ends.

Under the amnesty it hard to predict when they will start one since it may very from office to office. It should start from the day you apply while on the "automatic extension" under the amnesty. 

Hi UJ, fully agree with what you wrote.

But if IO lets extensions start from the date of application, most applicants will wait till the end of the Amnesty to apply, resulting in overcrowded IOs.  Hence I was pleasantly surprised with the Infographic Announcement that extensions applied for during the Amnesty would start from 27 September.  That makes sense.

But now it seems that it depends on WHAT kind of extension the applicant applies for whether it will be accepted by his IO and if so, whether it will start from date of application or from Sept 27.

Also when applying for a continuation of your 1-year extension of stay during the Amnesty, it seems that some IOs will back-date the application (which also makes sense).

But once again there seems to be no consistency in how different IOs are handling this.

Hi,

I'm in similar situation. Have multientry Non-O based on marriage. Got 60 days extension earlier which expires next week so going to apply one year extension this week.

Does anyone know if I should apply at Chaengwattana or the new satellite office?

Thanks.

Edited by Mattijok
typos

As I understand your post, it is concerns the poster RubbaJohnny. Are you legally married in Thailand? Did you go through the process of getting married at an Amphur and have both  rr2 and rr3 documents? If so, the marriage extension should be a straightforward process. The IO has a list of required documents. The IO at Jomtien was nice enought to check off the required documents I needed for my extension. Be sure to have 2 copies and sign every page. paste the photos to a sheets of paper and signed those as well. After I submitted the application, the IO came 2 days later for the home visit. They took several pictures with my wife, myself and the witness in front of our condo building and one of us standing in front of our mailbox in the lobby. They never physically looked at the inside of our condo. It took 15 minutes and they left.

• Like 1

I have a ME O marriage visa that expires in November. Just curious why anyone has already taken a 60-day extension while there has been an amnesty in place. Personally, I would have waited until the amnesty has ended, and only then get one if the borders are still closed. And I can't imagine the amnesty ending if the borders are still closed. Therefore, I don't see the need for one at all.

Everyone has their own idea of how they want to tackle the current situation, but using up their only allowed once a year 60-day extension allowance when it isn't necessary seems odd to me.

Also, the OP is asking about a marriage visa, but talking about having money in the bank for an extension. That isn't necessary, unless it is for a yearly and he has given no indication that is what he wants.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Thanks as ever Joe yes he married so that explains that.

I guess the only way to find is from the horse's mouth.

Think I'll pop in try get a 60 day at end of August plus offer a 9 day if they want it.

Or should I wait until September and risk a fine for no 90 day but not "waste " my only bite at a 60 day in case they extend teh amnesty yet again?

If you go for a joint account instead of in your name only, it won't work when you do the next 1 year extension and you have to show 400k again 2 months prior to the application. 

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I have a ME O marriage visa that expires in November. Just curious why anyone has already taken a 60-day extension while there has been an amnesty in place. Personally, I would have waited until the amnesty has ended, and only then get one if the borders are still closed. And I can't imagine the amnesty ending if the borders are still closed. Therefore, I don't see the need for one at all.

Everyone has their own idea of how they want to tackle the current situation, but using up their only allowed once a year 60-day extension allowance when it isn't necessary seems odd to me.

Also, the OP is asking about a marriage visa, but talking about having money in the bank for an extension. That isn't necessary, unless it is for a yearly and he has given no indication that is what he wants.

OP also asked about renewal dates, so I guess he means annual extensions. 

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

There were alot of recommendations on diffrent visa groups that the 60 days wasnt a option if your entry stamp expired and that the first amnesty probally was the last one.  So alot of people went and did their 60 days before their visa expired which in hindsight was the wrong decision/useless unless they followed it up with a 1 extension at that time. 

I did my 60 days last month which i regret now because all it did was waste my time and money.  I'm about to do my 1 year extension in a few weeks and my local immigration office now say that the 60 days isnt necessary and it's fine to do a 1 year extension with a expired non-o entry. 

Edited by Okis
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Okis said:

There were alot of recommendations on diffrent visa groups that the 60 days wasnt a option if your entry stamp expired and that the first amnesty probally was the last one.  So alot of people went and did their 60 days before their visa expired which in hindsight was the wrong decision/useless unless they followed it up with a 1 extension at that time. 

I did my 60 days last month which i regret now because all it did was waste my time and money.  I'm about to do my 1 year extension in a few weeks and my local immigration office now say that the 60 days isnt necessary and it's fine to do a 1 year extension with a expired non-o entry. 

Yep, used my 60 days extension on June as the "news" was that its not possible to extend if you let your stamp to expire and go on amnesty. 

No harm done, been on valid stamp all the time and do my 1 year extension this week before expiry of that 60 days. No need to follow up any amnesty decisions and queu with thousand of others when the amnesty ends some point. 

16 hours ago, Mattijok said:

Have multientry Non-O based on marriage. Got 60 days extension earlier which expires next week so going to apply one year extension this week.

HI,

I am collecting cases of how different IOs handle applications for extensions during the Amnesty (the results vary widely).

Could you be so kind as to answer following questions:

1 - What was the Visa validity expiry date of your ME Non Imm O marriage Visa?

2 - When you entered Thailand last time on that Visa, what was the expiry date of the permission to stay as stamped into your passport?

3 - Did you already apply for another extension of stay before you applied for the 60-day extension you got (e.g. one based on an Embassy letter)? 

4 - What is the exact date you did you apply for the 60-day extension of stay (beginning of June), and when is the expiry date of the 60-day permission to stay you get (somewhere this week)?

5 - Did your IO confirm that you would be able to apply for the 1-year extension of stay at the end of the 60-day permission to stay?

= = = = =

Once you applied for the 1-year extension of stay, please do report from which date that 1-year extension of stay will start (3 options > backdated from original permission to stay expiry / start from date of application / start from 27 September, i.e. end of Amnesty).

Thanks in advance!

13 minutes ago, Mattijok said:

Yep, used my 60 days extension on June as the "news" was that its not possible to extend if you let your stamp to expire and go on amnesty. 

No harm done, been on valid stamp all the time and do my 1 year extension this week before expiry of that 60 days. No need to follow up any amnesty decisions and queu with thousand of others when the amnesty ends some point. 

At several offices they inform people when applying for the 60 days extension from August 1, the extension will start from September 27. The problem is that other offices says something else. 

34 minutes ago, Okis said:

There were a lot of recommendations on different visa groups that the 60 days wasn't a option if your entry stamp expired and that the first amnesty probably was the last one.  So a lot of people went and did their 60 days before their visa expired which in hindsight was the wrong decision/useless unless they followed it up with a 1 extension at that time. 

I did my 60 days last month which i regret now because all it did was waste my time and money.  I'm about to do my 1 year extension in a few weeks and my local immigration office now say that the 60 days isn't necessary and it's fine to do a 1 year extension with a expired non-o entry. 

Hi Okis > What's your local IO?

Interested in knowing which IOs confirm they will do a 1-year extension application from an ME Non Imm O Visa with already expired permission to stay and being on the Amnesty.

Also what's the Visa validity date of your ME Non Imm O Visa of which the permission to stay already expired.

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

HI,

I am collecting cases of how different IOs handle applications for extensions during the Amnesty (the results vary widely).

Could you be so kind as to answer following questions:

1 - What was the Visa validity expiry date of your ME Non Imm O marriage Visa?

2 - When you entered Thailand last time on that Visa, what was the expiry date of the permission to stay as stamped into your passport?

3 - Did you already apply for another extension of stay before you applied for the 60-day extension you got (e.g. one based on an Embassy letter)? 

4 - What is the exact date you did you apply for the 60-day extension of stay (beginning of June), and when is the expiry date of the 60-day permission to stay you get (somewhere this week)?

5 - Did your IO confirm that you would be able to apply for the 1-year extension of stay at the end of the 60-day permission to stay?

= = = = =

Once you applied for the 1-year extension of stay, please do report from which date that 1-year extension of stay will start (3 options > backdated from original permission to stay expiry / start from date of application / start from 27 September, i.e. end of Amnesty).

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

No worries, although i dont have my passport at hand now you should get good idea on these timelines.

1. Got my Non-O Multientry visa in Saigon December 2019 (just before Xmas), its valid for one year meaning will expire December 2020

2. Entered Thailand 18 March and got usual 90 days of stay at airport

3. No, just before expiry of original 90 day stamp from airport applied 60 days extension in Bangkok/Chaengwattana

4. Current 60 days extension expires on 14 August applied few days before the expiry of original 90 day stamp which was 16 June i think.

5. Yes, asked the IO if possible to get one year in case borders still closed and answer was yes, just keep 400k in bank for 2 months and come back and apply for one year extension. And this was in Chaengwattana main office.

Got my bank letter today so plan is to go Chaengwattana tomorrow and apply that one year extension. I'll try and remember to report back what the stamp says but i'd assume I get the usual 30 days under consideration first and then need to go back to get the extension stamp later.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mattijok said:

Hi,

No worries, although i dont have my passport at hand now you should get good idea on these timelines.

1. Got my Non-O Multientry visa in Saigon December 2019 (just before Xmas), its valid for one year meaning will expire December 2020

2. Entered Thailand 18 March and got usual 90 days of stay at airport

3. No, just before expiry of original 90 day stamp from airport applied 60 days extension in Bangkok/Chaengwattana

4. Current 60 days extension expires on 14 August applied few days before the expiry of original 90 day stamp which was 16 June i think.

5. Yes, asked the IO if possible to get one year in case borders still closed and answer was yes, just keep 400k in bank for 2 months and come back and apply for one year extension. And this was in Chaengwattana main office.

Got my bank letter today so plan is to go Chaengwattana tomorrow and apply that one year extension. I'll try and remember to report back what the stamp says but i'd assume I get the usual 30 days under consideration first and then need to go back to get the extension stamp later.

Hi Mattijok,

Thanks for the expanded report.  From what you wrote it is clear that from moment of entry in Thailand you were all the time on a valid permission to stay.

1-year ME Non Imm O marriage Visa providing 90-day permission to stay > 60-days extension of stay for reason of visiting your thai wife > 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.

Please report back the start-date of the 1-year extension of stay CW will provide you, when applying there tomorrow.  Since you are on a 'short-stay' 90-day permission to stay (extended for 60 days), IO might apply the Sept 27 end of Amnesty start-date, but it is equally possible - and more likely - that they would opt for the day of application (tomorrow).

I think I already asked this on another thread, but I can't seem to find it.  ????

What letters/forms/documents do I need from the bank?

My understanding is that I need a letter written by the bank and I also need to update my bank book, is that right?  My account has been relatively dormant for the last year (few deposits/withdrawals), is there another form or letter I should get to verify that I've kept my balance over 400,000?

Thanks!  

40 minutes ago, up-country_sinclair said:

My understanding is that I need a letter written by the bank and I also need to update my bank book, is that right?  My account has been relatively dormant for the last year (few deposits/withdrawals), is there another form or letter I should get to verify that I've kept my balance over 400,000?

If a extension based upon marriage it only needs to be in bank for 2 months on the day you apply. If your bank book does not show the 2 months you may need to get a bank statement to prove it.

You need a letter confirming your account and it will show the balance on the day you apply.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, up-country_sinclair said:

I got my bank letter today. They knew exactly what to do and first send me to ATM to make small withdrawal so that there is transaction in the records at the same day as the letter.

Then they prepared the letter stating the balance today and as my bank does not use bank books they printed two months transaction records and stamped and signed them as well.

If you have bank book it should do together with the letter from bank.

I'm actually using combination of THB and USD accounts where combined balance is over 400k. Both are savings accounts and bank letter states their balance in THB so hoping the IO will accept.

Edited by Mattijok

57 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If a extension based upon marriage it only needs to be in bank for 2 months on the day you apply. If your bank book does not show the 2 months you may need to get a bank statement to prove it.

You need a letter confirming your account and it will show the balance on the day you apply.

If he didn't update the bank book as he said, his transactions will show up as combined in the bank book and immigration will not accept it. He needs a 2 months bank statement stamped and signed which normally cost 200 baht, together with the bank letter and immigration will hopefully be satisfied. 

Applied today in Chaeng Wattana. Couple of issues to note:

1. Bank records need to be updated same date as application. I bank with Citi who don't use bank books so had to drive back to Asoke to get new letter with updated records showing transaction dated today. The senior officer at the back signing everything told me that next time better to use any Thai bank with bank book as they all have branch downstairs. Said just deposit 400k and leave it there for two months and continue banking with Citi as usual.

2. They needed two copies of everything so there is change of difference with 60 extension i applied two months ago with one set of copies.

Got stamped "under consideration" and can pick up the extension on Sept 3.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Mattijok said:

Applied today in Chaeng Wattana. Couple of issues to note:

Got stamped "under consideration" and can pick up the extension on Sept 3.

Thanks for the report and congrats with your successful application.

> Question - What is the start-date of the 1-year permission to stay you were granted (and which is currently 'under consideration')?

11 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Thanks for the report and congrats with your successful application.

> Question - What is the start-date of the 1-year permission to stay you were granted (and which is currently 'under consideration')?

Not sure, there is the usual two stamps. One saying (in thai) that i have applied extension on 6th August and other one in English saying my application is under consideration and I am to report back on 3rd September.

I would assume its today but the eventual extension stamp will confirm.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mattijok said:

Not sure, there is the usual two stamps. One saying (in thai) that i have applied extension on 6th August and other one in English saying my application is under consideration and I am to report back on 3rd September.

I would assume its today but the eventual extension stamp will confirm.

On Sept. 3, the stamp will say Extension of stay permitted up to 6 AUG 2021

Update your bank book on Sept. 3 because they'll look at it again; they started doing it last year on Chaengwattana.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, frequentatore said:

On Sept. 3, the stamp will say Extension of stay permitted up to 6 AUG 2021

Update your bank book on Sept. 3 because they'll look at it again; they started doing it last year on Chaengwattana.

Problem is that i don't have any bank book. Can only print from online banking or get records from Bank.

They did not ask me to provide updated records when getting the stamp next month. Just said it would be better to use different bank next year. Discussed this bank record issue at length with the senior officer at the back and assume she would have told me if I need another set of records from bank next month.

Guess I just print my transaction records online just in case when picking up the extension stamp.

Edited by Mattijok

1 minute ago, Mattijok said:

Problem is that i don't have any bank book. Can only print from online banking or get records from Bank.

But they did not ask me to provide updated records when getting the stamp next month. Just said it would be better to use different bank next year. Discussed this at length with the senior officer at the back and assume she would have told me if I need another set of records from bank next month.

I also went there this morning, same visa, and the officer reminded us about the update. Since last year, they check again if you still have 400,000 (Chaengwattana BKK).

• Thanks 1