Building a hot tub / jacuzzi

Jason Green

Hi folks,

I’m looking to build a hot tub/Jacuzzi here in Chiangmai. The ones at global house and home pro are just too expensive for what you get. I want something that I can customize. Thinking cement / tile. No jets needed, just hot water. 

Anyone know best place to get heater & pump and what kind to get? Gas or electric is better? I see a few options on Lazada. 

what about keeping it clean? Do I have to use chlorine or is salt or something natural an option?

what about keeping it hot? Can it stay hot all the time or will that cost too much? If so, how long would it take to heat up before use?

Any other advice or power tips from the experienced folks? 

attached a mock-up photo for reference. 

thank you! 

A11264A6-FE54-4D7F-9DCE-E6C2AE3F6FF0.jpeg

Edited by Jason Green
Forgot one question

There is an unheated fresh water in-ground Jacuzzi in the courtyard of the house I rent.  The volume of water is about 150 ft³ or 4250 liters. The temperature is fine for at least 8 months of the year.  For the cooler months I bought a submersible pump and a shower heater from a local hardware store and thirty minutes of circulating the water through the heater warms the Jacuzzi up enough for even the coolest weather here in Pattaya.

To keep it clean I use chlorine, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate (blue stone), and a sand filter.  The chlorine keeps the water sterile enough, the calcium carbonate is used to regulate the pH so that the water doesn't irritate your skin, the copper sulfate is used to kill any algae that starts to grow on the sides of the Jacuzzi.  The Jacuzzi pump circulates the water from the bottom of the Jacuzzi through a sand filter to take out any debris such as dust, leaves, bugs, and skin that rubs off, then back into the top of the Jacuzzi.  If you have bubblers in the return pipes they will suck air into the water stream you can get bubbles.  There is also an overflow tank so that water that overflows when someone gets into the Jacuzzi can be recirculated back into the Jacuzzi.  There is an automatic filler (think toilet tank) in the overflow tank so that water is replaced as it evaporates.

The water in the Jacuzzi is treated just like the water in a swimming pool.

You nee a good design (internet) with a shell made of reinforced concrete then a tile lining.  The tiles used in a Jacuzzi or a swimming pool can be slippery, creating a fall hazard. Be smart and add hand rails right at the very beginning of the design process.  I had to add one to my Jacuzzi for safety.  If you have young children the think about a fence with a locking gate around your Jacuzzi to keep them from getting into the Jacuzzi without supervision.

Edited by HarrySeaman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jason,

Recommend you have a look at jazzispas.com.  If you see anything you like send them a query and ask for a price delivered to your house, all costs included (jacuzzi, transport to Thailand (Bangkok), subsequent ground transport to Chiang Mai, and customs or related charges, etc.).  I was in the market for one some 5 years ago but didn't want to pay the ridiculous prices as you mentioned.  I found Jazzi on Alibaba and sent them a note asking if they would sell and ship to an individual.  A few back and forth emails and I ordered one, which I've now enjoyed for almost 5 years.  As I recall my total cost was about half of what comparable models were costing locally.  

I just looked at the Jazzi web site and they no longer sell the model I bought, but it was very similar to the SKT338 (about 80 jets, 2 pumps and 1 heater, LED lights, etc.).  I paid about Baht 140k total, delivered to my house (Ban Chang, Rayong Province).  Still working like a charm, and a helluva lot easier to maintain than my swimming pool.  Trick is to just change the water regularly, and perhaps throw in a couple tablespoons of chlorine after a heavy session with lots of folks.  Their jacuzzis have ozonators which are suppose to keep the water fairly clean.  I probably average 90 minutes of use per week, and I change the water every two months and change filters.  Kinda learned this lesson the hard way, as I got lazy once and didn't change it or clean filters for about 7 months.  Starting getting what they call white fungus.  Had to do some heavy cleaning to get things back to normal and since then with the regular water/filter changes I haven't had any issues. I clean the filters by soaking them in water with a bit of dish soap for a day or so and then rinse and let dry.  There are two cartridge filters on my tub and I've been rotating the same pair of pairs for over a year now with no trouble.  Not sure how much longer I'll get away with it but working fine for now.

The covers are/at least where sold separately and are/were around $100.  If you go this route recommend you add a spare ozonator (just in case) and some spare filters.  I didn't think/know to do this with the original purchase and paid about $100 shipping for a spare ozonator and 8 filters (which I couldn't find anywhere around here.  That package was $270 total to give you some idea.  No problems with the ozonator yet so still have a spare.

At the time I purchased Jazzi hadn't worked out an agreement with Alibaba for the payment protection plan.  I was very leery paying a company in China before delivery and inspection but after some research on Jazzi and numerous emails with Jenifer at Jazzi I did just that.  They import all the essential parts (acrylic from USA, Balboa control panels from AU, can't recall now where pumps and heater are from but probably one of the afore mentioned).  

The delivery guys they use from Bangkok didn't have a lift on the truck.  Luckily I had a large work crew at my house and plenty of metal pole scaffolding, so we just rolled it on poles to get it in position.

Good luck with whatever you decide.  I certainly enjoy mine.  

• Thanks 1

We bought a bathroom (bathtub) kit from BIC Camera, Japan and had it installed outside. Simply dropped the whole thing into a concrete mold, hooked up the water and power and we were done. You do need an electrician because the display grid is 100v.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

K.Clark.........Being in the market myself I started looking. HomePro used to have the skirted type on display a few years back but they've swapped them ouy for I-Spa versions and quite pricey as well.

Just sent an inquiry to Jazzispas, so I'll just wait and see what they have to say.

Thanks K.