Most Netflix shows are eminently skippable trash – and Netflix just admitted it

snoop1130

My Dad has Netflix back in the US.  Watched Breaking Bad and a handful of movies.  Most of the movies however were so bad that we turned them off before getting halfway through.  They were worse than the ABC after school specials I watched as a kid and most seemed to pander to one or another “special interest group”.   Many had the production quality of being filmed with a cheap video camera and the acting...well...they should keep their day jobs.  

Now, when I check an IMDB rating,  I skip the primary 8-10 star reviews and filter so I can read the one, two and three star reviews.  If those reviews are well written, that is the deciding factor and I give the movie a pass.

I-tunes is 1000x better than Netflix.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I've been scouring netflix's guts for something watchable, all this millenial junk is insufferable garbage. Trotsky was the last interesting find: https://www.netflix.com/th-en/title/81025391 . It's way too hard to search for stuff in there.

i've shared a netflix ID for a couple of months, have seen a few good shows and some old UK stuff; shameless, bottom, but the vast majority is pretty uninspiring, dull, uninteresting... loads of dramas about the drug trade. yawn.

certainly wouldn't pay for it myself, and frankly don't understand why people bang on about how great netflix is...

Netflix should focus on getting old flicks in more. The series content is being rushed. The one about serial killers and those two profiler detectives was great but massive wait for a 9 hour binge is unappealing.that navy street was mdly entertaining but Frank grillo is no leading man and certainly should not try to be Tony soprano.

Kermode has been described as "a feminist, a near vegetarian (he eats fish), a churchgoer In the mid-1980s, Kermode was an "affiliate" of the Revolutionary Communist Group (RCG) ....Kermode describes himself in this period as "a red-flag waving bolshie bore with a subscription to Fight Racism Fight Imperialism and no sense of humour."

In the Shadow of the moon on Netflix.

Could be worse. Don't care what the feminist revolutionary communist says.

What a nonsense, of course there are bad things on Netflix. There are bad things on Hulu, Amazon Prime, BBC, ITV and Channel 4. What a pointless article.

13 hours ago, Logosone said:

What a pointless article.

What about Dexter, Ozark, The Sinner or Better Call Saul? Perfectly good series to watch.

Or The Rum Diary, Zodiac or Dolemite is my name? Movies anyone can watch.

You just have to know what to pick. 

Slim pickings in a mountain of crud.

• Like 2

We loved Still Game, The Crown, (Chewin' the Fat too, although more skit-based).  Just starting Spy, Designated Survivor and Sleepy Hollow.    Murdoch is now only on DVD.. great series. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

Slim pickings in a mountain of crud.

The best is always in a minority. By definition it's an exception.

People say all women in Thailand are beautiful. Not true at all, most are ugly as in the West. Beautiful women are a minority. Same with excellent TV shows or films.

This applies all across the board, to Amazon Prime, HBO Go, BBC, ITV, Channel 4. It is mostly dross everywhere.

In Germany I couldn't even put the TV on between 10 and 12 in the morning for fear my brain would rot away because that time slot is allocated to women's soaps.

There are a lot of stupid people in the world who watch a lot of stupid dross. I mean people watch Red Dwarf when we all know it's terrible. You can't damn the entire BBC because of Red Dwarf, Eastenders and El Dorado. It's stupid.

Edited by Logosone

5 minutes ago, newnative said:

I love Netflix.  As a previous poster said, you just need to know what to watch.  There's lots of great stuff--including some terrific Asian tv shows and movies that I can watch with English subtitles.  And, thank goodness for Netflix and cable channels because the American networks have become a vast wasteland of cheap reality shows and endless CSI derivatives.  About the only network show I still watch is The Blacklist.  

Excellent point, I also love that you can watch a lot of Korean TV and films on Netflix.

There's even more on a free website, but still.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Excellent point, I also love that you can watch a lot of Korean TV and films on Netflix.

There's even more on a free website, but still.

Yes, I've discovered Korean movies and tv shows thanks to Netflix.

7 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yes, I've discovered Korean movies and tv shows thanks to Netflix.

In that case I'd like to big up Svaha The Sixth Finger, a very good Korean film that would grace any platform. Just saw it on Netflix.

Netflix also has very good documentaries The Last Dance, Jeffrey Epstein, Tiger King.

I also thought the You series was not terrible.

• Like 1

That article doesn't make sense to me. I can't read the whole thing due to a paywall but the gist of it seems to be that Netflix has admitted their shows are "trash" because they've just added a fast forward feature. As far as I can tell looking at Netflix on my Android tablet and Smart TV, nothing has changed. The TV version has had a fast forward option for as long as I can remember and the Android app just has a skip forward 10 seconds option which again, it's had for ages.

So I don't understand what they're talking about.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DoctorG said:

I am working my way through the whole 9 seasons of Suits. ????

Looks like Suits seasons 1-9 are available to U.S. Amazon Prime members/subscribers via Prime Video.

That's another series that, once I finish my Showtime promo subscription, I'll be looking to go back and cover. When it was on live, I only had the time/opportunity to watch sporadically....and missed a lot.

15 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That article doesn't make sense to me. I can't read the whole thing due to a paywall but the gist of it seems to be that Netflix has admitted their shows are "trash" because they've just added a fast forward feature. As far as I can tell looking at Netflix on my Android tablet and Smart TV, nothing has changed. The TV version has had a fast forward option for as long as I can remember and the Android app just has a skip forward 10 seconds option which again, it's had for ages.

So I don't understand what they're talking about.

I think they're rolling out an ability to actually play the video at somewhat faster or slower speeds of play... like 1.2 speed or 0.8 speed.... which would still allow you to hear the dialog but it would shorten the actual playtime by varying amounts.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My wife lately has been watching a ton of Korean movies and TV series via a website and I think app called Viu.... which seems to require a Thai IP to access the content...for free... I know their content has Thai subtitles available, but dunno if it also has EN subtitles.

When I went to access the site one time to try to help my wife while using my U.S. IP address, the site instead popped up a bunch of Indian content and almost no Korean content. Twitched back to a Thai IP, and all the Korean content re-appeared on the same site.

Just go to Kissasian.sh everything Korean is there with Eng subtitles.

16 hours ago, Katipo said:

Dark is fantastic. And Norsemen if you want an oddball Viking comedy.

Yeah , I think Norsemen is brilliant .  I like disenchantment But I wish Princess Bean would get those brown tights off.

Not looked at Dark yet. Oh F is for Family and Friends , all good .

• Like 1