Which silicon to use on aluminium windows

bbabythai

I've had an issue with leaking windows in the past and thus wanted to purchase high quality silicon for the exterior side. 

I ended up purchasing 'crocodile poly U seal'. The proposed aluminium frame will fit in a hole of the concrete wall. On the lable of the silicon is says: 'adhere to conrete, fibre cement, stone, brick, roof tile, ceramic, wood, PVC and etc'

Will this be ok for filling gaps to an aluminium frame/ concrete edge?

For the interior I selected the 3m brand which was half the price of the above one. 

thanksIMG_2924.thumb.jpg.661504ed6d8474a9e73fc6077681c9a4.jpg

IMG_8648.jpg

IMG_2304.jpg

That is not silicon, it's PU. Silicon is typically used for this purpose, but PU may be even better but is a lot more expensive. The sealant to avoid outside is acrylic since it can't take UV rays.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, canopy said:

That is not silicon, it's PU. Silicon is typically used for this purpose, but PU may be even better but is a lot more expensive. The sealant to avoid outside is acrylic since it can't take UV rays.

so are you saying that its a good one to use on the outside area when gapping up the new aluminium windows?

12 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Same theme, different question.

What is the best sealer to use around basins, shower taps, floor tile/wall seam in the shower.

Thank you.  (also the window answers above is very helpful).

Silicone.  Some say they are "special purpose".

57 minutes ago, bbabythai said:

so are you saying that its a good one to use on the outside area when gapping up the new aluminium windows?

So long as there isn't a large gap between the window and the surround you can use any silicone designed for windows or guttering etc.

I used silicone on holes in a roof over 20 years ago and still good.

Don't use anything that doesn't stay flexible.

Good way to smooth the silicone is to put liquid soap on a finger. That way it won't stick to your finger.

Don't cut too much off the nozzle as don't want too much silicone coming out, and protect anything you don't want silicone on as it gets everywhere, and is the devil to get off.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The crocodile is excellent for outdoor use. It is also a good glue for when flip flops start coming apart.

Perhaps you should forward this excellent info on to the numerous VIP,s in authority here whose constant "flip flopping" here has brought us much amusement of late.. :clap2:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Same theme, different question.

What is the best sealer to use around basins, shower taps, floor tile/wall seam in the shower.

Thank you.  (also the window answers above is very helpful).

I'm a bit alarmed that you want to seal around taps. IMO not a good idea. Taps should come with a rubber washer that provide all the sealing required, and if it's the join in the water pipe, definitely not a good idea.

Perhaps there is some specific reason you need to seal around taps, which would be interesting to know about.

Moons ago I questioned some glaziers discussing low and high modulus silicone sealant and got the full lecture.

From the web -

Low modulus sealants are stretchy but not the most hard wearing, they are the best option for sealing glass wall assemblies, perimeter seals, on curtain walling, perimeter sealing of polyester powder coated frames and glazing of windows in swimming pool buildings. These sealants offer better adhesion and accommodate more movement. These sealants are generally very long lasting.

High modulus sealants are less stretchy but more hard wearing, they are recommended for use in sealing Baths, showers, sinks, wash basins, kitchen worktops and many other sanitary and internal applications. They can also be used on Shop fronts, showcases and glass to glass joints.

Example low modulus sealant

croc.jpg.b608015960fcc7f15969638bc57141a6.jpg

4 hours ago, maxpower said:

Moons ago I questioned some glaziers discussing low and high modulus silicone sealant and got the full lecture.

From the web -

Low modulus sealants are stretchy but not the most hard wearing, they are the best option for sealing glass wall assemblies, perimeter seals, on curtain walling, perimeter sealing of polyester powder coated frames and glazing of windows in swimming pool buildings. These sealants offer better adhesion and accommodate more movement. These sealants are generally very long lasting.

High modulus sealants are less stretchy but more hard wearing, they are recommended for use in sealing Baths, showers, sinks, wash basins, kitchen worktops and many other sanitary and internal applications. They can also be used on Shop fronts, showcases and glass to glass joints.

Example low modulus sealant

croc.jpg.b608015960fcc7f15969638bc57141a6.jpg

so is that crocodile brand any good for filling the gap between an aluminium frame and a concrete edge

Definitely don't ask you local builder what sealant to use or most recommendations from home shops. Initially I trusted my local builder to recommend sealants, to him they are all the same I found. If it lasts long enough for the builder to get paid, good enough.  I have found Crocodile products to very reliable if used for the right application.  Good on ya for reaching out for some advice. 

• Like 1