YAMAHA NIKEN

XB12X

23 minutes ago, Why Me said:

Pucc, you girly man, it's a bike for studs. OP, you want to mosey over to the motorbike forum.

You sure about the stud part ?.

I thought those twin front wheel bikes were for the frail and elderly.... and girls !!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, XB12X said:

moose7117, thanks for the first sensible answer.

Don Mega, is macho your middle name? Yours is the most stupid response.

One sensible answer out of 18 can be considered a result in these fora, full as they are of lonely armchair keyboard warriors with nothing interesting to say and no knowledge to base it upon 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, properjob said:

One sensible answer out of 18 can be considered a result in these fora, full as they are of lonely armchair keyboard warriors with nothing interesting to say and no knowledge to base it upon 

Been on the road since 1968

Always had at least one bike, now down to 6

What knowledge am I lacking ?

Excepting good taste I guess ...

The Piaggo I can see for an inner city commuter, for those who have never ridden a bike before and have a balance issue with putting their left foot down when stopped, but the Yamaha versions, especially this god awful one, are solutions looking for a problem

• Like 1

I don't see it as a solution looking for a problem. It is a bike that can be ridden into corners faster in bad conditions than any two-wheeler. I have done 250,000 miles on conventional bikes - from an MZ to a B-King - and I just fancy one of these. You say it's god awful. Do you mean in appearance?

2 hours ago, properjob said:

wishing for an arnchair

have only stool

• Like 2

3 hours ago, XB12X said:

You say it's god awful. Do you mean in appearance?

FUGLY

Overly complex for very little gain, tire price doubled, can't lane split ...

Why would you want one ?

Want to ride a bike - buy a bike

Want a overpriced, overweight, complex, BUTT UGLY whatever ... fill your boots

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interesting comments above.

I originally saw one in the flesh at the Bangkok motor-show in 2018, i have always been intrigued by the se odd three wheelers, why ?, for what purpose ? is there any advantage ?

these were questions i asked myself about this polarising b "Bike".

I got the chance last year to ride one around perth, there were a few things i noticed one of the things i found was i decided to go up a road median strip at an angle, i was trying to squeeze past a car that was blocking a U-turn bay, just to see what happened, it just rode one wheel up no muss no fuss and then after i crossed the strip the wheel just went back down.

Some of you will say " so what" well there is no way i would have attempted the same manoeuvre on either of my bikes, the front would have just slide along the strip and i probably would have taken a tumble.

The fact that there are two independently moving front wheels would be a bonus where i was working in Melbourne, twice the front traction, very handy in Melbourne's cold wet climate where tram tracks abound and are bloody slippery. i have had a scooter step out a bit when crossing one at an oblique angle, which is bloody hard to avoid in Melbourne.

Anybody who has had the front end either give way or even slide a bit has learnt that heart in the mouth ass puckering feeling, this three wheel monstrosities would reduce the chances of that happening.

Personally i would not own one in Thailand however i can see the attraction to them, if i go bad to Melbourne for an extended time i would certainly look at one as Victoria is exceptionally motorbike friendly and it would increase my confidence level in the crappy winter weather.

But the Niken is wide. maybe it was deceptive but the front end just felt wide and it would be difficult to manoeuvre in the traffic in Bangkok, during peak hour a Wave would be quicker but get on the outskirts or if you want to run upcountry.

my two cents worth.

• Like 1

I have an MT09 which has the same engine and rear end. The engine is a beauty, but other than that I don't really see the point of the Niken. All the drawbacks of a car (can't split lanes etc) without the benefits (air con, weather protection, stereo etc.).

Unless you have some specific reason e.g. a medical condition that prevents you from riding 2 wheelers, I'd just get a normal motorbike. So many to choose from now, especially on the second hand market. 

Do they even sell the Niken here? I've never seen one at Yamaha Rider's Club when I'm in for services.

• Like 1

Yes the Niken is available in Thailand, just bloody expensive, as i said i wouldn't have one in thailand but for the right circumstances they would be very suitable.

https://www.bikeme.tv/index.php/tales-of-the-niken-episode-11-supplemental-turbo-version-part-two/

https://www.bikeme.tv/index.php/tales-of-the-niken-episode-12/

Interesting review from Australian "Journo"

Edited by moose7117
  • Like 1

Interesting how many people talk bad about something without having any clue what they are talking about.

Can't lane split? Every bigger adventure bike is wider than the Niken, for example the Tenere 700, Africa Twin, and so on. If you can't lane split on these bikes I recommend you to get a Honda Click, this might be better suited for you.

I saw a Thai review about the Niken, they said that Yamaha is only bringing ten bikes to Thailand. Before thinking further about it you might want to inquire if you could still buy it or it's already sold out.

• Like 1