Soda water sparkling water in Thailand, Seltzer Water, Club Soda, Tonic water ? any big plastic bottles sold or any easy way to make your own ?

scoupeo

Soda water sparkling water in Thailand, Seltzer Water, Club Soda, Tonic water ? any big plastic bottles sold or any easy way to make your own ?

Cheers, trying to quit all zero sugar drinks, soda water can help, as I also like it.

But do we really have to carry all these small soda water glass bottles ? or can you find somewhere big bottles as Perrier, but at standard price ?

Or maybe there is an easy way to make your own carbonated water at home ? Would it be healthier ?

Please share your experience !

Edited by scoupeo
  • Like 2

I buy Rock soda about 46 baht for 6, not worth messing about with it yourself, these soda waters do have a small amount of salt in them though but can't taste it. Some of the others seem to vary in quality but Rock is consistently good

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 5 months later...
14 minutes ago, SePl said:

so is soda water healthier than soft drinks ?

the problem with soda water is that the cheap ones are only small bottles. boring to carry.

Do you know any cheap big bottles ? thanks.

I just order a few trays at the makro and they deliver. So I dont need to carry them myself.  (makro online)

• Like 2

Just now, robblok said:

I just order a few trays at the makro and they deliver. So I dont need to carry them myself.  (makro online)

no space to stock and don't like to stock anyway, bigger bottles would be a lot easier...

but maybe only foreigners drink sparkling water without whisky...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SePl said:

no space to stock and don't like to stock anyway, bigger bottles would be a lot easier...

but maybe only foreigners drink sparkling water without whisky...

Ok i love to stock things, that is just me. But I havent seen many affordable sparkling waters. The soda stuff is cheapest. I have seen bigger bottles but they are imported stuff in the Villa market or Tops. You pay a lot more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

The soda stuff is cheapest. I have seen bigger bottles but they are imported stuff in the Villa market or Tops. You pay a lot more.

Depending on where a person lives, Central Supermarkets and some Tops outlets, as well as Tops Online, tend to stock some 1.5 ltr and 2 ltr imported sparkling mineral waters. The 2 ltr ones are from the UK and the 1.5 ltr ones are from Spain, among others.

I usually buy the 2 ltr UK ones from Central for around 99 to 119b per, often on discount. They're both recyclable plastic, though the UK ones are easier as they're clear plastic and not green tint.

I've never found/seen any kind of Thai produced sparking waters / soda waters in 1.5 ltr bottles or larger.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

AFAICT, the Thai beverage industry seems to think the only purpose for carbonated / sparkling soda waters is as a bottled mixer for booze.

For me, OTOH, it's an everyday drink in place of boring TH regular bottled or tap water and a healthier substitute to carbonated sugary or chemically sodas.

In the U.S., it's pretty common to find 1.5 liter bottles of such both plan and with various no calorie/no sugar fruit essence flavors added -- black cherry, lemon-lime, pineapple, etc....  But never ever seen any of those here.

I guess the TH beverage industry is wedded to sugary (or sugar substitute) sodas and sugary bottled so-called green tea drinks.

• Like 2

for the homemade types, it's easy to buy the bottle and infusing kits abroad or even locally... But finding the right/quality carbonation cylinders seems to be more problematic...

Especially since AFAIK, you're not able to import-mail those here because they're pressurized.

• Like 2

On 8/4/2020 at 11:21 PM, scoupeo said:

Cheers, trying to quit all zero sugar drinks, soda water can help, as I also like it.

But do we really have to carry all these small soda water glass bottles ? or can you find somewhere big bottles as Perrier, but at standard price ?

Or maybe there is an easy way to make your own carbonated water at home ? Would it be healthier ?

Please share your experience !

I like soda water, drank lots of it on Germany, it is so refreshing.

In the past, I bought these boxes of 24 small bottles at Makro, I think they cost 103 baht at the time, but now they cost over 150 baht.

I'd be more than happy to find a good and cheap alternative.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CandiceBraf said:

Here is my recipe:
- the juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda 
- 6 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1 liter of pure cold water. 
The mixture should be mixed and filled with water. If desired, you can add ice and mint.

Thanks to the lemon juice & baking soda, this will carbonate itself ????

1 hour ago, tgw said:

In the past, I bought these boxes of 24 small bottles at Makro, I think they cost 103 baht at the time, but now they cost over 150 baht.

150 thb is clearly overpriced ????

9 hours ago, tgw said:

So you need a cheaper alternative than 6.25 baht per bottle??

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, scoupeo said:

150 thb is clearly overpriced ????

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

So you need a cheaper alternative than 6.25 baht per bottle??

yes and yes.

6.25 baht per bottle is practically the price for 500ml of beer in my county of birth.

for soda water, I estimate 4.5 baht per LITER to be a fair price.

Edited by tgw
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, adexbe said:

deposit ? for which bottles ?

400 ml Singha Soda water (red/white label). 7 Baht with an empty, 12 baht if no empty returned.

PITA but all the local shops are the same to ensure recyclng I guess.

Edited by Saltire
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 6:05 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

AFAICT, the Thai beverage industry seems to think the only purpose for carbonated / sparkling soda waters is as a bottled mixer for booze.

nah mate, totally untrue. i've seen their ads on channel 3 and if i just drink the soda i'll apparently have the most outrageous night of my life! ????

If just plain simple carbonated water is what you need, 

just look for one of many sodamakers on Amazon.

I used to do this all the time -

put some fresh lemon or mint into the water first and let in infuse for a few hours, before carbonating it.

The sodamaker that I had accepted a standard size coke bottle.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

nah mate, totally untrue. i've seen their ads on channel 3 and if i just drink the soda i'll apparently have the most outrageous night of my life! ????

That's just because they can no longer advertise their booze directly on TV because of Thai law... So they use the water products as a way to keep their names in view...

But if they actually wanted to sell their soda/sparkling waters as products for direct consumption, they'd be offering them in flavors and/or in 1 / 1.5 / 2 ltr recyclable plastic bottles -- none of which they're doing.

The small glass bottles packaging is entirely oriented to the bars / mixers trade.

11 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

They don't have the big 2 liter bottles. I would have found it. Drank the stuff for years. Try adding some orange or fruit juice.

Central Supermarkets in BKK, at least, regularly sell an imported UK brand of 2 ltr sparking water in clear plastic bottles for anywhere from 99b to 129b apiece, depending on any promotion at the time. It's "Essential Waitrose Sparkling Natural Mineral Water."  When in stock, it often can also be available via Tops Online delivery, and sometimes is stocked in some of the regular farang oriented Tops supermarkets. (PS - I make no promises for its availability outside of BKK).

Though for reasons that continue to escape me, the Central supermarket branches I buy it from often simply don't bother to refill the stock on the shelves, and you have to pester them, if you know who to talk to, to get them to take it out of the back rooms or storage and put it out for sale.  You'd think they actually want to sell things that their customers want to buy, but sadly, you'd be wrong about that oftentimes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1