Wild elephants, monkeys to be controlled with Bt435m budget

webfact

Wild elephants, monkeys to be controlled with Bt435m budget

By THE NATION

800_ca0cb9d99666387.jpg?v=1596548391

The Cabinet today approved a budget of Bt435.289 million to reduce impacts of wildlife on people.

More than three-quarters of the budget – Bt360.608 million – will be spent on protecting residents and farmers from wild elephants, said deputy government spokesperson Traisuree Taisaranakul. The money will be used to restore the elephants’ natural food sources and build fences to protect locals. The budget was requested by the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment.

Another Bt24.461 million of the budget will be used to tackle problems caused by monkeys, including via birth control, a data base of monkeys and cages to limit the areas they can roam. The move comes after monkeys in Lopburi ran amok during the Covid-19 lockdown, when they were starved of their main food source – tourism.

The remaining budget of Bt40.222 will be invested to improve the capacity of government agencies to receive and take care of animals, including those seized in criminal cases. New animal clinics will be constructed, while standardised tools will be prepared for officials, the spokeswoman explained.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392435

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-05

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

If the real end users will see 10% of the huge allocated funds, i'm a monkey... 

You leave me no choice uncle:

Does that mean we'll have one group of monkeys (from the jungle) complaining to another group of monkeys (in Bangkok) that some others have forged their signatures and stolen their nuts.

I can hardly wait. I just hope one of the groups wears Hi-Viz jackets, so we can identify easily who's who.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Cabinet today approved a budget of Bt435.289 million to reduce impacts of wildlife on people.

How about using the money to reduce the impact ... of people on wildlife instead. And, 435 million baht? Riiight! Into the trough it goes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blumpie said:

I'll control the monkeys for 1/4 the price.  Just need a gun and a flamethrower.  

Start  with the dogs  then move  onto the cats then the pigeons and finally  the monkeys, no,  sorry ,the govt

• Haha 1