Where can I buy a small boat for canals in Bangkok Area?

cliveshep

We live just on the edge of Bangkok/Lamlukka just North of Minburi and have a Suzuki Carry drop-side lorry as 2nd car. All around are canals, some very pretty, so I thought great for boat activity, my wife and I could chuck one of those injection-moulded rubber or plastic boats they use on the canals here in the back of the lorry and launch it into a  canal locally and go paddle/picnic with the dogs. A small 8ft dinghy would be ideal. Stupidly I brought over the tender from our UK motor yacht when we moved here, never used it and sold it. Now we regret that. So - please - where can we buy one of those dirt cheap little boats that Thai Watsadu used to sell but don't now? Or at least not in the Min Buri branch. We only want the small 8 feet boat, one because of the length of the lorry back and two for ease of carrying and launching - 8 feet is more than enough for two and a couple of dogs!

Thanks for that but they are expensive out-board boats, thb39,000  upwards. What we want we used to see for around thb2000 - simple plastic moulded boats in the same material as those mixing tubs for concrete all the Thais use. Seen them along the canals owned by the people who live in the shacks on the canal banks.

That's what we want, dirt cheap and simple to paddle about. No outboards, I've sold our boat engines here and we won't be buying more now.

Thai Watsadu usually have small ones for a few thousand baht. We had one when we lived in Bangkok during the flooding. Useful but very hot to sit in for any length of time. Make sure you have a heavy duty umbrella to go with it with silver on the underside or you will fry !  Also, if you can get a very small engine...much better or you will sweat a lot paddling. Will have greater range too.

I always fancied the old wooden ones they sell noodles from but heavy and don't come cheap.

• Like 1

Are there actually some nice canals around Bangkok? I've only encountered the stinky ones in the city. Anyone have any pics?... I can't imagine it being too nice? Certainly not like Cheshire canals with sleepy local pubs en route.