Good samaritan and police captain killed in Bangkok expressway tragedy

webfact

Good samaritan and police captain killed in Bangkok expressway tragedy

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Tragedy struck in the early morning hours in Bangkok this morning when a Likay (Chinese style opera) performer stopped to lend assistance to a stranded motorist after he broke down on an elevated road heading out to Taling Chan. 

Sarawut Pongsawat,34, a well known pantomime villain with the Ekkarachan" group, had stopped his red plate Honda Civic to help the man standing behind a black pick-up. 

It was a police captain called Narong Ninsuwan, aged 47. 

Moments later Sarawut's girlfriend Jutamat who was waiting in the Civic heard a crash and a white pick-up driven by Adisak went into the back of the Civic. 

5pm1.jpg
Picture: Daily News

Adisak said it was dark (it was about 5 am) and he saw the parked vehicles too late to brake in time. He slammed into the back of the black pick-up, spun round and collided with the Civic. 

Dead on the road surface was the police captain. 

Jutamat was the first to see her boyfriend. After the crash she called him on his cellphone and got no answer. She looked down at the road below and saw him lying dead. 

The impact had hurled him below. 

Adisak was taken away for a breath test as police decided what to charge him with, reported Daily News. 

Source: Daily News

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

On the contrary, always,  but always get out of the car and move 80  or so metres up road, so using your car as a barrier to some idiot rear ending you. Carry high Viz in the car and a warning triangle, which you can place 50m or so before your car. You have at least a chance of getting out of the way. Stay in the car and you can be dead meat.   

Yep, spot on that.

3 hours ago, Deli said:

Breakdown = secure the area with a warning light and triangle, at least 100 yard prior to the vehicle...

I'd say start at 1,000 yrds, then 900,800,700, 600 etc etc etc and even then stay away from broken down/parked vehicles !

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

You must be joking get as far away from that car as possible I once broke down on the Aston expressway in Birmingham around midday only 2 lanes no hard shoulder I got out of the car jumped over the barrier it was amazing how it turned out the emergency services saw what happened on the CCTV's a convoy of police cars where on their way all lights blazing and slowed all the traffic down they virtually brought the motorway to a standstill and allowed the AA rescue to get hocked up and towed away the police giving us right of way until we could get off the motorway and gradually letting the traffic behind them pickup speed again, the police said I did the best thing getting out of the car to some safety 

Try jumping over the barrier on a raised highway ????

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ChipButty said:

You must be joking get as far away from that car as possible I once broke down on the Aston expressway in Birmingham around midday only 2 lanes no hard shoulder I got out of the car jumped over the barrier it was amazing how it turned out the emergency services saw what happened on the CCTV's a convoy of police cars where on their way all lights blazing and slowed all the traffic down they virtually brought the motorway to a standstill and allowed the AA rescue to get hocked up and towed away the police giving us right of way until we could get off the motorway and gradually letting the traffic behind them pickup speed again, the police said I did the best thing getting out of the car to some safety 

The problem with "Smart motorways" in the UK now, the hard shoulder has been turned into a fourth lane. No where to go if you have a problem.

With respect to the red triangle positioned before the broken down vehicle, would any Thai driver, unless educated and experienced in driving elsewhere, recognise it for what it is and what it represents?

Standing behind a broken down vehicle's a no no and a Police Captain should have known that. The pick up was black, did it have it's lights on, hazards? 

With respect to the guy who stopped to help, no good deed remains un-punished. Never stop to help the driver of a broken down vehicle. The risks are too great.

3 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

With respect to the red triangle positioned before the broken down vehicle, would any Thai driver, unless educated and experienced in driving elsewhere, recognise it for what it is and what it represents?

Standing behind a broken down vehicle's a no no and a Police Captain should have known that. The pick up was black, did it have it's lights on, hazards? 

With respect to the guy who stopped to help, no good deed remains un-punished. Never stop to help the driver of a broken down vehicle. The risks are too great.

the Triangle has 3 sides - so I'd say they have a Best Out of 3 Chance in guessing it...

Edited by tifino

16 hours ago, Deli said:

Breakdown = secure the area with a warning light and triangle, at least 100 yard prior to the vehicle...

This driver Adisak must have had even more than 100 yards to react. Speed, cigarette, telephone, name it. Not enough time to react in such a short distance, short by Thai standards.

How many deaths of Thai policemen will it take for prevention work to start....

16 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

If you break down on the overhead motorways, never get out of the car...!

i would sooner be out of the car so I can see what's coming and if it's heading straight for your car at least you can get out of the way. 

On 8/5/2020 at 2:35 PM, Deli said:

It's not easy to find a tree branch as is recommended in the drivers manual  when one is on  an elevated expressway.