No vaccine against virus of nation hatred, warns Army chief

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

While checking cadets’ uniforms, the general reminded them that the Covid-19 virus was not as scary as the illness of criticising one’s own country and that there was no vaccine against it. 

Apirat told the press later that children should be taught to love their motherland, so they don’t grow up to be nation haters.

Easy to say when you're part of the problem.

27 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

Hatred of the nation. Criticising one's own country.

Context is king here. He is army, he was addressing Army cadets. He is inferring that the civilian populace that is protesting and those who speak out against the institutions of the country hate the nation and the country. The army cadets will take it on-board that they are here to defend the country against criticism.

Neither the nation, nor the country elected you, neither the nation nor the country appointed you, neither the country nor the nation wants you to make political speeches against the nation and country that pays your wages, son....wind your neck in. 

You can only make the speeches you do because of the perceived position you currently hold. Come September, someone else will be in your shoes. We'll see how employable you are then.

I say well said and yes more reporting to keep jobs and positions and misinterpurarated by many I believe.

Attension to details all.

• Like 1

I am glad that the clown-in-chief did not start crying again. He though completely missed the point, that the army is here to serve the country and not the other way round. His promise on the Terminal 21 incident in Korat went into thin air, like everything else. 

I never came across a Thai citizen who did not like or love his or her country. But I likewise hardly met anyone who likes the police or the army as both dont serve but screw the country from early mornings to late evenings. 

Go back to the baracks, slim down this completely oversized balloon of governmental overhead in both army and police to lean conditions and put people in place which do not please fellows like Apirat and the likes but fulfill their duty towards people and fatherland.

What a pathetic little figure; and guess what, this guy stands fair chances to run the country as a PM. He will retire end of next month, sit off the grace period and then become the next best thing since sliced bread. Another aspirant on a job without the slightest qualifications; hence he makes sure that his face and comments are plastered all over the public networks so for the underlings to get used to him. How sad .......... 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, thequietman said:

Believe it or not, but you can be arrested for that here. The Thai flag must always fly above the flag of your country in Thailand. True!

Sensibly, the top flag would always be the flag of the country you are in. Surely that is what most people would do.

A post in which the quoted content had been altered has been removed:

16) You will not make changes to quoted material from other members posts, except for purposes of shortening the quoted post. This cannot be done in such a manner that it alters the context of the original post.

1 hour ago, nikmar said:

you voiced my biggest fear. 

I sincerely hope that I am completely wrong - since they are rewriting the constitution (to the umpteenth time) they might put an age limit to politic at, say 60 years of age? 

If the army and the rest of the folks can retire at 60, then it is high time to retire the whole bunch of clowns out of the circus to take care of grandkids and walks their doggies ......... 

• Like 2

I just started a rereading of Machiavelli's The Prince, and he points out, among a million other things, that it is almost impossible for a people that have never been free to suddenly be on their own and trying to govern themselves. This is a way of understanding the difficulties in the historic push toward western style democracy in countries like Thailand. Remember that before 1932 no one here was "free" in the way we think of it in the west. I've thought for a long time that this country seems ungovernable, in that the people on their own (wherein there are plenty of crooks) never seem able to get it together, leaving the army to step in and restore some semblance of "order", even if it is their own definition. Having said this, I wish I could see a way out, but at this point I don't.

I do think that not accepting the status quo is not the same as not liking one's own country, which seems a better description of what's going on than that of the general. We know the difference, because in the US genuinely and deeply not liking one's country seems almost a requirement in some circles; I know because many of my friends are of that camp.

On 8/5/2020 at 1:02 PM, Surelynot said:

The vaccine is called democracy.......... free of a corrupt Army and corrupt politicians

The only reason common folk are not corrupt is they have no power. And in fact when they can be corrupt, they usually are.