500K for 14 days?! Luxury hotels for well heeled Thais and foreigners announced for "alternative quarantine"

webfact

28 minutes ago, gvrixtel said:

I wonder what the "fee" is these hotels need to pay to end up in this list of government approved quarantine locations.... ????

A pretty hefty % for sure

8 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Most of the people they commented above: "I haven´t read the article and the prices of the hotels but I need to write a comment". 

Yes, if you book a suite in a 5* hotel for one, two or more people you have to pay a lot - also without quarantine. All the prices mentioned above are far below 500k.

You just show that you are the one to not read the comments you criticize yourself. And you don't understand also the article. Sure a 4 or 5 stars hotel cost a lot, between 35 000 to 500 000 THB for 2 weeks, but the problem is the obligation to paid an expensive one at minimum 4 stars hotel. YOU don't understand that.

What ever, do you know many people from Europe who come in Thailand and are rich at this point that most of them will be able to loose 35 000 THB (you can add tax 7%, then food at expensive price, far from Thailand good and cheap food, you can add wifi price and they will find many to add to your bill... do you really know Bangkok business ?) in a 4 stars hotel ? (ok, if some of them happy to loose money for luxury, why not, they are free, but don't make it an obligation, money is not a God).

Do you really know the quality of the Thailand infrastructure (electric lines, internet connection, water distribution, quality about everything technology can be sale there...) ? Definitely not. The price of anything is also (all over the world), in relation with all of these infrastructures. I love Thailand, sure, but is not my only one country to go, and i'm a builder, i know the quality of tools we can find and the quality of materials (steel, cement, stone, plastic quality), quality of infrastructure and knowledge level of worker (do you know how they link electric mono-phased 220V wires there ? look closer at the job quality)... and don't you see the reality around all of this ? It is very close to middle continental Africa (like RCA or Congo) infrastructures quality, same for the workers job done... close to 70 years ago (but 70 years ago in some countries in Europe, quality of work was already there).

Ok, i think you are maybe a tourist who never work with your hands and can not understand what we are talking about and what is a real valued construction or infrastructure to sale or rent is about. The price of things there is definitely not in relation with real quality and real economy of Thailand with a very low tax fees (we have 20%, and 65% all together for enterprises there)... there is definitely something more in the price in some of the Thailand places... but what ? Smile ? yeah, i think so... why not, i like smile, but i'm not stupid.

Everybody understand the 14 quarantine days... and for example, me, i can do it at home with my wife, but not, it is now forbidden (it was not at the start point)... no... i should go and paid this expensive price ? And if i am not this kind of rich people, some special rich people authority love so much, then what ? Am i a bad guy to trash because of that ? The money i win help our family, and specially my Thai family who is very poor and many times, requested an help for life. I can not see any rich people there in these hotels helping poor people in Thailand.

And what about Laos and Myanmar cheap workers ? What about Chinese ?

Well... what do you want to not understand ? Are you one of the guy to be in relation with this business ?

Please Buddha, come back Thailand to show this government what is love and good mind thinking, really help them to be nice again, because many of us are very nice too, but we feel exclude due to big money business at any point now we can not paid for.

Put me 14 days in a Thai cave inside a temple  with the strict minimum for life, i'm very ok and comfortable with that... i can eat one time a day, i wake up early every day already, sleeping early, i'm also a strong recognized worker from all crew i meet, i'm clean (not a "dirty farang" as someone said about European foreigners) and don't speak or think bad, i not drink alcohol (nothing at all), no drug, i'm very discreet, never make big noise and i can help what ever you want to do.

And because of that, my life is not expensive, sure... money serve for us when a big problem is happening or for school for child there (i think it is important for humans to know something in this life, school has been done for that, but it is not free in Thailand).

What i will do in this kind of hotel ? i don't need anything luxury there... for us, it looks like trash the money we need. I'm far from this aspect of Thailand and i love Thailand for something other, and precisely about human respect and Buddhism, i go very far to this only 2% of Thailand places were money is the only one God to trust with and where sometimes, rich people with Ferrari go quick and kill policemen, then don't stop to help but fled and paid with money the right to kill and do anything wrong without care the other around.

So... what's happening really in fact in Thailand now ?

Is there an option to have a quiet life for Buddhists humans married in Thailand there ? I can not see any right now... and looks like COVID-19 situation is not the same depend if you are "farang" or Chinese or Laos or Myanmar... what does it mean ? Can't you see ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geriatrickid said:

The usual whingers and complainers swarmed the thread. What part of  OPTIONAL did people not comprehend?  These are typically all inclusive packages and include room service  meals since guests are not allowed out of their rooms.

The rates are consistent with what the hotels usually charge. Considering the additional costs assumed by the hotels for cleaning and extra service, the  rates are reasonable.  It is quite obvious that some people do not use higher end hotels, otherwise they would see the costs for what they are: Realistic.

When I overnight at the Bangkok Airirport Novotel it costs me 6000 baht+ per night. As an Accor member I get the  breakfast included. 14 nights at the lacklustre hotel are 62,400 baht. Comparable to the quarantine rates.

No one is forcing you to use the hotels. They are for people who are used to staying at nice hotels.

Quite simple, as a farang you're forced to use the ASQ hotels, most at very very VERY inflated prices considering what they offer. 

1 hour ago, chilli42 said:

Why all the complaining?  Nobody twisting your arm to rent these rooms.  These are the alternative room for the well off.

The only ones you're allowed as a foreigner... :hit-the-fan:
ASQ = Alternative State Quarantine
SQ = State Quarantine

SQ = available for Thais returning
ASQ = Mandatory for foreigners returning, also available for well off Thai's returning

Edited by jabis

14 hours ago, Hayduke said:

Odd....it seems the world-renowned Nana Hotel was left off the list. It caters to the most elite and discriminating clientele....and it's just a short 5 minute walk to Bumrungrad Hospital. Must be some sort of oversight...or misunderstanding...or somethng.

They ran out of brown envellopes.

This writer documents his stay here. He was  allowed out of the room at times after the first negative test. And in another one I read the writer could use the pool after the first test. 

https://thaispicy.co/thailand-asq-alternative-state-quarantine/

Lot of people talking about the money like it's a lot of cash, and why would anyone pay it. To answer both points... 

Firstly, 3k a night with 3 meals a day is not a lot. I'm perfectly okay with that. Yes, the situation is <deleted>, but it is what it is. 

Which leads me on to my second point. I've not seen my family since January, so that's 7 months now. International flights are currently banned in my country but I did hear that they may open in October when case numbers come down into the 100s per day, rather than the thousands which they are now. 

I'm hoping that Thailand changes its rules before then, but if it doesn't I've got 6 weeks vacation to take. If I have to do 2 in ASQ to see my family I will. I've got till mid December until I'm forced to take my vacation so I'm hoping for a change by then. No change and I'll happily pay the money and do it. 

Or we all meet in a neighbouring country, which might also be a good option by then. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chilli42 said:

Why all the complaining?  Nobody twisting your arm to rent these rooms.  These are the alternative room for the well off.

Actually foreigners must use them, State Quarantine option is only for Thai citizens.

But foreigners have a choice of which hotel and certainly do nto have to stay at the priciest ones.

• Like 1

So' if Tourist is willing to go trou 72 H test before flight , covid test at arrival , 14 days quarantine in Luxury Hotel   thereafter the Tourist is Covid free right according to Thai law . So' why should there be specific categories allowed to go trou this process to access Thailand and other categories not ? Isn't it discrimination ?

• Thanks 1

If Thailand authorities think they are in that position still tourists will go there no matter what they are forced into, to get jailed for 2 weeks and plus paying for it  huge amount then the authorities  really lost that tiny remaining  business sense as well. It is said to see this fooling around worldwide and some countries are very good partners in this. 

Hotel quarantine failure. Victoria, Australia. Now victoria is in lockdown with an 8-5 curfew. Last I heard over 7000 active cases. Not all is because of hotel quarantine but it has been admitted that there were failures. This virus is known to be aerosol and found in aircontioning vents. 

On 8/5/2020 at 7:39 AM, Mr Meeseeks said:

Everything is.

Remember where you are. 

There are cheaper alternatives some for just over £1000.

Can you imagine the daily mail readers reaction to the government

paying quarantine charges for foreign visitors to the UK?

Edited by shy coconut
Addition
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2020 at 4:38 PM, kotsak said:

I assume they would like the money upfront in case you kick the bucket while in quarantine?

You have to pay the ASQ upfront. 

Pending the issue of the flight date.

Several are declining to refund.

They also get 1000 baht each day per person from the government. 

These are not tourists...

Or return to the family type people. 

Many conditions attached as anyone like me with an unmarried partner have found out.

I'm not on the list, even though I have a partner of 7 years and a retirement visa Non O. 

On 8/5/2020 at 2:26 PM, crazykopite said:

????5* in Thailand you have to be joking Who in there right mind would spend a ridiculous amount of money to be locked in your room. No doubt the news in the coming days is that all these hotels/resorts are now fully booked with millionaires ????????????????????????????

If i was returning with my family and young children and had to quarantine for 14 days, and money was not a concern, i would take 14 nights in a luxury villa with private pool thank you very much.

Thought the Thai Army are wasteful, 137,000 THB per person for the pampered US Soldiers at the Conrad lol Nearly 300,000 USD, those hardened soldiers dont like to slum it. Sure bet a lot of the US tax payers would like the chance to stay in the Conrad.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 1:09 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

How about the Penthouse Hotel in Pattaya?

It seems there is not even one hotel in Pattaya on that list. They have lots of unemployed intensive care nurses over there...

I am also astonished.

The Mercure on Soi 15 is definitely also a quarantine hotel - however, it seems: only for Thai groups. Every few weeks, they transport them to the Mercure in 3 coach busses.