Ministry now aims to roll out travel promotions for expats in Thailand

webfact

Are expats without any income allowed to spend from the 800.000 bath on our savings account or do we need to get money from somewhere else to go on his trip?

Maybe TOT can hand out a loan with low interest rate?

To me this promotion sounds like another scam against expats orchestrated by the government.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Why is it that some people with a driving licence think that it is the answer to everything.

The DL is an official form of identification with your address and passport number. But not perfect as the passport number printed on it will not match your current passport if you've renewed that. Or your current address if you've changed that too.

To get a pink Id card you first need a Yellow Book. That's not perfect either because some provincial offices flatly refuse to issue a Yellow Book to foreigners who qualify for one, despite what the 'law' states on this matter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, UTH001 said:

Yip, doubt very much that the program offer to falang will be anywhere near as good as it is for the Thais under the  TRAVEL TOGETHER promotion. And why issue a card? Can't we register online and get a code, like Thais did/do? Add a function to include a copy of passport, easy. I know, 'easy' does not work here...

People must try and remember they are not Thai citizens and there can never be "equality". One thing is almost certain is that they will want to check entitlement, not going to allow illegals to benefit, so a physical check on permission to stay is almost a foregone conclusion.

The Thai arrangement is quite restricted, you pay through an app and then get a voucher at 5pm each evening that you can only spend through a wallet. I would read it as the card being much more flexible in that it can be used for ad hoc bookings.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JTXR said:

All the Westerners plus Chinese, Japanese, Indians, Arabs, etc., 2 million may be right. 

I imagine they're not including the three big migrant worker countries (Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos).

It would seem that a figure as high as 2 million would have to include migrant laborers from neighboring countries. Estimates of the population of Western/East Asian/South Asian "expats" (retirees, professional workers, people with Thai families, etc) in Thailand are all over the map, but I've never seen a realistic estimate higher than 500,000, and most are considerably lower.

Edited by khunjeff

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Governor Yuthasak Supasorn said TAT would issue special cards to expats to show at accommodations and attractions so they can avail of discounted prices.

Are this guy for real? I have never in my 30 years in Thailand heard of any kind of discount to foreigners, quite the opposite.

All tourist attractions in Thailand have one price for Thais 50-100 bath and one price for foreigners 500-1000 bath, depends if it is national parks or amusement parks.

5 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

The DL is an official form of identification with your address and passport number. But not perfect as the passport number printed on it will not match your current passport if you've renewed that. Or your current address if you've changed that too.

To get a pink Id card you first need a Yellow Book. That's not perfect either because some provincial offices flatly refuse to issue a Yellow Book to foreigners who qualify for one, despite what the 'law' states on this matter.

My yellow book is from March 2010.

Do you think you are telling me something I don't know. Address the point in question or make your own post.

• Confused 2

And if this doesn't work? What will they do next to expats...maybe say that if we don't tour then we'll be hit with a 'compulsory minimum monthly expenditure (with lots more paperwork proof to go with it of course.)'. I am a divorcee and have no intentions to remarry...how many other expats are single?...so if there are requirements to obtaining this card they will have to be general.

In any case, I think expats already have evidence enough about their living in Thailand (immigration year extension stamp, yellow book, driving license etc) that the dual pricing should be automatically null and void. But even the mention of this card is proof that expats are considered nothing more than long term tourist.

I have mentioned elsewhere (a while back) that I had arranged my thoughts about leaving, in stages, and that my waning tolerance was at stage three. Items such as this only makes things worse.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Greenpeiper said:

There are currently thousands of expats who got stranded abroad because of COVID 19 (I have been stuck in the Philippines since 18th Feb my extension of stay in Thailand for retirement expires in Nov). How about letting us come home to our families first!!!!!!!! I will be happy to spend my money just let me f***ing come home!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody is stranded anywhere.  There's only people who ignored what was happening and were intentionally ignorant of the devastating consequences of Covid.

If you didn't know by the very first day this year there was a pandemic spreading that completely shut down Wuhan, China then you're currently experiencing the consequences of your lack of judgement and facts. ????

I read on New Year's Eve about the virus and said to my wife, this could spread to Thailand and many other places too.

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Like 1

If this number of expats 2 million is correct

They must be getting a lot of money already from the visas issued retirement ect

With no foreign tourists coming in they now realise there is more  money to be made with the ones already here

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, thequietman said:

First, you need a yellow book. Then a signed note from you wife with her ID attached, that you are allowed to go.

Then you must go to your local immigration to ask if it's OK to travel out of the province. They will tell you yes - but you mustn't believe them, cause they will want numerous forms on your return.

Contact the Puu Yai in your village and give him/her a urine, poo and sperm sample (if you like, just give a pair of your underpants) and then get a receipt saying that you have informed them.

Whilst doing the above 3 things, wear a mask at all times, even though none of them will have one on.

Once you have done the above, you are free to get your 'Special' ID card, just as soon as you get all the above forms translated into English and back to Thai again. You will also need to get your passport authenticated by your embassy at a cost of 1000 baht.

Deposit 100,000 baht into a bank account in order to prove that you can afford to go on vacation in Thailand, and take out an insurance policy to protect you for the duration. A specific company has been chosen for you to provide 3,000 baht of cover at a cost to you of 40,000 baht.

Have fun. ????

A very enjoyable read, i had a good laugh, thank you.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Why the hostility to my post?

You did not address the point in my post and decided to lecture me on your opinions.

If you want to make a point, do it on your own, do not take my post in a different direction.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And so we have Thailand's problem right there. Previously, price promotions for Thais only. Foreigners, tax-paying expats, can go whistle.

Obviously you missed this promotion.

Welcome to Expat Explore a partnership between Thaivisa and the Tourism Authority of Thailand to bring exciting new offers and promotions from across the country exclusively for Expats. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, sandyf said:

My yellow book is from March 2010.

Do you think you are telling me something I don't know. Address the point in question or make your own post.

I think that as Dusit D2 down in AoNang will accept my drivers license for their own special promotion, all that would be necessary is for us expats here on “retirement” visas is to present our passport showing said extension and license (really don’t know why that is necessary) to the hotel and then be given whatever discount that is proffered.  

That would be the simple way to entice us to travel.  

Let the hotel and the government sort out the particulars (and stacks of forms) on their own time.  I’m not so desperate that I need to spend hours of my time to save 500, 1000 or even the 3000 baht/day benefit.

A daily QR code?  Lol...please.

7970635F-AC2D-461B-A18F-8FF953973AFD.jpeg

• Like 1

The Thai national version of this was a complete failure.

My wife attempted to get her discount. Got on the list, but there were about 3 hotels in the country signed up.

No doubt this one will go the same way.

• Haha 2