Ministry now aims to roll out travel promotions for expats in Thailand

webfact

18 hours ago, webfact said:

The ministry will also discuss with the prime minister the need to reduce ticket prices for expats who visit various attractions and national parks.

So he means reducing the double pricing and scamming? 

• Like 2

The only way to get money in to the country is by opening the borderes and cancel government quarantine. you can apply self quarantine with control devices.

What do you want the local expats to see? closed shops and restaurants? The main attraction areas in Koh Samui, Phuket and Pattaya are shut down with thousands of people unemployed.

I suggest the ministers to drive through Koh Samui Chaweng center. It is will do you good to see what you have achieved.

• Like 2

Personally, I would not use discounted card for accommodation as I can afford and should let peoples that really need it to use and benefit. If somebody abuse it, well, it's with their conscience, at the end you take it for someone who really need it. However, I found it very insulting that, as a tax payer for several decades, I am still treated with segregationist policies in the first place and the current attempt is like pouring salt on the wound. Worst is the dual pricing that has been on for years and which is the ultimate insults. So, to the government, ................!!

And if some resident foreigner chooses a hotel which is already full of quarantine cases, for which the hoteliers receive a huge premium on their standard rates, will those quarantine cases be evicted to make rooms available? More importantly, would anyone wish to occupy those rooms regardless of discounts?

This was still happening in a Roi Et hotel last month where they couldn't honour our booking as they had given an entire floor over to quarantines. Car Park had a new security barrier and front door was locked.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I think that as Dusit D2 down in AoNang will accept my drivers license for their own special promotion, all that would be necessary is for us expats here on “retirement” visas is to present our passport showing said extension and license (really don’t know why that is necessary) to the hotel and then be given whatever discount that is proffered.  

That would be the simple way to entice us to travel.  

Let the hotel and the government sort out the particulars (and stacks of forms) on their own time.  I’m not so desperate that I need to spend hours of my time to save 500, 1000 or even the 3000 baht/day benefit.

A daily QR code?  Lol...please.

7970635F-AC2D-461B-A18F-8FF953973AFD.jpeg

I don't really see what you are trying to say, but driving licences shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Deliberately or otherwise, people seem to be ignoring the accounting aspect, as in any country public expenditure has to be controlled as tightly as possible. It has to be seen that attempts have been made to minimise the corruption.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Airalee said:

My address has already been registered with immigration when I extended my visa.  TM28s completed also.  You know where I live.  Forget the reams of forms and paperwork.  Just send me a card with a brochure showing a list of what hotels are participating and the prices.   If the value is worthwhile, I’ll avail myself of the offers.  If there is any price gouging, I’ll stay home.

Thanks!

They will never never never give us anything the price will go up to justify the offer.as far as national parks where when and how many probably all in bangkok when a cup of coffee and food will be hiked to justify the entrance fee no the thai guv. Will give us nothing.stay local put your money into local shops and services you get better thought of.

48 minutes ago, bander said:

Are this guy for real? I have never in my 30 years in Thailand heard of any kind of discount to foreigners, quite the opposite.

All tourist attractions in Thailand have one price for Thais 50-100 bath and one price for foreigners 500-1000 bath, depends if it is national parks or amusement parks.

"Hello sir. Special price for youoooo. Come come."

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, HTC said:

The Thai national version of this was a complete failure.

My wife attempted to get her discount. Got on the list, but there were about 3 hotels in the country signed up.

No doubt this one will go the same way.

When I looked at the list on the Thai scheme there were hundreds of hotels. The biggest problem was the translation of regions, Krabi appeared as something like "sword".

2 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I don't really see what you are trying to say, but driving licences shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Deliberately or otherwise, people seem to be ignoring the accounting aspect, as in any country public expenditure has to be controlled as tightly as possible. It has to be seen that attempts have been made to minimise the corruption.

The accounting aspect is their problem, not mine.  If a hotel can take a copy of my passport in order to file a tm30, then it should be sufficient to prove that I stayed there.  They can take my picture at the front desk if necessary (with time and date stamp) to prove I stayed there.

My point regarding the drivers license is only because that is what Dusit required to get their own “expatriate” discount.

If you felt that jumping through all the hoops was ok for your ฿2000 contribution to the economy at Bluesotel (bless your heart)...that is your prerogative.  I plan on spending 10-30 times that amount (Depends on how long I want to travel) and for that, I expect...no...I demand a simple and streamlined process.

• Like 2

I don't believe that the 1.9 million cambodian, laotian and burmese expats will be able to  pursue any tourism because of two small issues;

1. They often do not receive vacation time off and,

2 They are paid a pittance and can barely afford to take care of themselves let alone pop off for a holiday. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Obviously you missed this promotion.

Welcome to Expat Explore a partnership between Thaivisa and the Tourism Authority of Thailand to bring exciting new offers and promotions from across the country exclusively for Expats. 

Obviously you missed this:

The Tourism and Sports Ministry aims to introduce travel packages to lure around two million expats in Thailand into travelling around the country to boost domestic tourism, with price promotions for accommodations and attractions equal to those offered to Thai tourists, Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said today (August 5).

I believe there are only three types of people in Thailand: (1) Thais, (2) non-thai farangs with passports and (3) illegal immigrants. Establish a national website where participating establishments can be posted for discount. No need for extra ID. K.I.S.S.

2 hours ago, DPKANKAN said:

I have said to my friends for a long while, why the hell do they not issue us legit expats with a chipped Thai ID card with all our info on!! Would cut down on the tons of identical paperwork we provide them each year for a start!!!????????????????

They do not do so because it would cut down the paperwork. Jobs Money making opportunities for the monkeys boys and girls.

• Like 1

So the brains at TAT don't consider that this B10 billion increase could actually come outside of a pandemic.  I've refused to enter some parks due to the discriminatory price gouging of foreigners.  Perhaps if introduced, they might consider keeping it.

• Like 2

Most of you wouldn't take advantage of anything other than a discount on the price of the cheapest draft beer at your local bar anyways.

Personally, I travel around the country a fair bit to visit various sites or attend functions. I'll wait to see what is actually being offered and what the actual requirements will be (to prove one is an "expat") before making judgement.

It could be that it won't make any difference at all or it could mean trying something, or staying somewhere, that I wouldn't have normally chosen. 

I doubt it will have much effect though, as most places I go to, with the exception of National Parks, don't have dual pricing to begin with, especially outside of Pattaya. 

And I doubt it will affect many of the people on this forum either, as most of you are no where near as rich as you pretend to be every year at Immigration. If you were, the Thai visas, residency and work permits forum would be the least visited of all the forums here.

As such, you probably wouldn't take advantage of any price reductions/promotions anyways, regardless of the criteria (or lack thereof).

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1