Proportion of youth with COVID-19 triples in five months: WHO

snoop1130

34 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The fortunate ones will live in the rich west then. The other billions that don't will, I assume, be allowed to gain herd immunity the hard way.

This disease isn't just of the rich west, though it's only become so overwhelming because it is in the rich west, If it were just in Africa ( like Ebola ) I doubt there would be so much money being spent on a vaccine.

Shame you don't keep your promise not to respond to my posts. However, 'herd immunity' is an unproven strategy with a virus which mutates and a concept which is no longer supported.

Ebola vaccine research has had a response from Western countries even though the level of deaths were relatively low compared to other virus'. As of 2015 was a $1.3billion investment, plus of course good response for medical services on site. But you're correct could be improved.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5112007/ 

You may be interested in trump's responses to Ebola, wasn't good...

https://www.vox.com/2020/2/26/21154253/trump-ebola-tweets-coronavirus

Edited by simple1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Nightingale hospitals are being dismantled without ever being used in UK yet the scaremongering continues? IMO this was never more than flu & the world is being played.

Your comment doesn't stack up...

So far this year there has been 159k deaths in the USA and 700k plus worldwide from Covid. Worldwide Covid deaths will increase significantly as infections are accelerating.

Average deaths from flu in USA average 24k - 62k p.a. Worldwide average deaths from flu 290k to 650k p.a.

8 hours ago, torturedsole said:

Infected isn't catastrophic as the youngsters are not keeling over.  Different approach required for lockdown as total lockdown isn't working. 

Please suggest how anyone could handle a pandemic like no other living person has seen the like of before

There is no blueprint for this, people are doing what they feel according to the known science while trying to protect an economy, and as usual the poorest nations with the worst health care are baring the brunt of this

It is fine saying a different approach, but what is that approach, and what guarantee of different outcome is there?

22 hours ago, car720 said:

I would agree if the young cared about anyone but themselves, but they don't.

The "young" are the doctors, nurses ,ward helps, cleaners, ambulance drivers and scientists in labs on the front line, many of whom are also becoming infected and dying. 

23 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

The "young" are the doctors, nurses ,ward helps, cleaners, ambulance drivers and scientists in labs on the front line, many of whom are also becoming infected and dying. 

Agreed but they are far from the majority of the young.  Take Australia's current spread and it appears obvious.

52 minutes ago, car720 said:

Agreed but they are far from the majority of the young.  Take Australia's current spread and it appears obvious.

The current Melb situation was from poorly trained(no training) security persons who were charged with quarantine security. This is a monumental stuff up by government, no cases linked to protests/parties so far, mostly community transmission with households and aged care where staffing situations and poor infection control were responsible.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

Please suggest how anyone could handle a pandemic like no other living person has seen the like of before

There is no blueprint for this, people are doing what they feel according to the known science while trying to protect an economy, and as usual the poorest nations with the worst health care are baring the brunt of this

It is fine saying a different approach, but what is that approach, and what guarantee of different outcome is there?

While it may be hard, but not impossible to find those alive in 1918 ( it's only 102 years ago ) we DO have a blue print- the Spanish flu killed far more people than Corona is likely to. They survived to be able to overpopulate the world in less than a century.

The Swedes had a good approach, IMO.

There are no guarantees in life. Humans have no more "rights" than the dinosaurs did.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Me neither, I cowered at home for a month and when nobody seemed to be dying, thought 'f$#@ it' and carried on living my life as I did before. Mask stuck in my back pocket for those shops that insist.

Good on the kids, go out and have fun while you're young.

I just watched a CNN clip about the coming motorcycle gathering in South Dakota at which the 250,000 bikers will give the middle finger to the Corona diktat of masks and social distancing.

CNN found the nerdiest geek to wobble on about doom and destruction if the gathering goes ahead. With all the psychologists graduating from uni ( beats doing a real job ) one might wonder why they don't appreciate that bikers don't respect a bunch of nerds telling them to wear masks, or else. Bikers don't take kindly to those that try to tell them what to do, and I don't give much chance to any that go and try and tell them to mask up.

Live to ride, ride to live- respect man.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I just watched a CNN clip about the coming motorcycle gathering in South Dakota at which the 250,000 bikers will give the middle finger to the Corona diktat of masks and social distancing.

CNN found the nerdiest geek to wobble on about doom and destruction if the gathering goes ahead. With all the psychologists graduating from uni ( beats doing a real job ) one might wonder why they don't appreciate that bikers don't respect a bunch of nerds telling them to wear masks, or else. Bikers don't take kindly to those that try to tell them what to do, and I don't give much chance to any that go and try and tell them to mask up.

And don't care for the lives of others.

No respect at all.

47 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have no idea what this has to do with youth getting Covid.   The Sturgis Rally is by and large a geriatric gathering if ever there was one.   You might want to spend less time bangin' on about the journalist and a little more on the actual participants.   

46 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pretty much like most of the youths I have the misfortune of meeting. No respect for anything and only care about themselves, IMO.

Which is what older people have been saying about the youth forever History repeating itself.

But I am disappointed you're applauding people (bikers) not caring about others, while at the same time talking negative about other people (youth) not caring about others.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Pretty much like most of the youths I have the misfortune of meeting. No respect for anything and only care about themselves, IMO.

That is so sad, I have an almost daily contact with a cohort of about 40 people all under 35 down to about 17, they are respectful and courteous, and goal oriented . I enjoy the interactions in the setting, and I am only one of about 30 odd over 50 year olds up to 75 yr old , there on a regular basis, who too are treated with respect and courtesy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

While it may be hard, but not impossible to find those alive in 1918 ( it's only 102 years ago ) we DO have a blue print- the Spanish flu killed far more people than Corona is likely to. They survived to be able to overpopulate the world in less than a century.

The Swedes had a good approach, IMO.

There are no guarantees in life. Humans have no more "rights" than the dinosaurs did.

The blueprint for the Spanish flu was also exactly the same as is being done now.

The lockdown measures put in place over a century ago sound familiar today: theatres, schools and borders were all closed. Public spaces, including telephones, were disinfected, historians say and in the United States, people could be fined up to $100 for not wearing a mask. In 1918, it was quickly understood that crowds could cause further transmission.

"Lockdowns were put in place and progress was made in the application of preventive measures that had historically proven effective. 

https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/03/how-did-the-spanish-flu-pandemic-end-and-what-lessons-can-we-learn-from-a-century-ago

Academics agree that the end of the pandemic occurred in 1920, when society ended up developing a collective immunity to the Spanish flu, although the virus never completely disappeared.

500 million people or one-third of the world's population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million

58 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The blueprint for the Spanish flu was also exactly the same as is being done now.

Except, Spanish Flu killed many of the young infected, around 10% total death rate, while COVID kills hardly any of the young infected, around 0.5% total death rate.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 5:43 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Herd immunity happens either by everyone getting infected or a vaccine. Problem with smallpox or polio was that they were so severe that most that got it badly enough died ( my father had it and didn't die ). That doesn't apply with Corona. Most will survive with no long term problems.

When I was young we were deliberately infected with measles to gain herd immunity. No vaccine was available.

hopefully they will come up with something.   If they don't, it's pretty much a non-starter to try to continue with lockdowns. 

Agreed.

Economically, it's an expensive illness. 

Lockdowns are more expensive and also cause death.

It's difficult to visualize what type of world we will live in, but I suspect it will be very different for a long time. 

Happened many, many times before- the black plague, the industrial revolution, WW1, the depression, WW2, the Cold War.

We are not unique, though many apparently think we are.

I live by the saying I learned in the military "life is <deleted> and then we die". No one gets out alive and we are not born with a guarantee of health, wealth and happiness.

Economically, it's going to take a while to see the long term impact.   Allowing an unchecked virus to run through the population was going to be extremely expensive and if anyone thinks it was not going to have an effect on the economy, they are very naive.   The medical costs, as we saw, with a lockdown were enormous, they would have been greater without.   Businesses would simply be unable to continue with large number of sick workers.   Even using the Defense Act, some of the food processing centers were unable to continue to work because such a vast number of workers were sick.   

The Central Valley of California is being hit hard again and the US is experiencing both shortages and rising food costs.   Most shortages are not serious, but the rising costs are, with meat up over 20%.   And that has happened since the lockdowns were lifted.    

We have lived through previous plagues and they had a huge impact on society and the economy.   Take a look at the black plague.   People suddenly had value.  The peasants, the serf were valuable and they took advantage to head for greener pastures.   Staying with your master was no longer the only option, the neighboring Lord was offering a better deal.  So, things changed.  They changed drastically and irrevocably.   

On 8/8/2020 at 1:54 PM, Bkk Brian said:

The lockdown measures put in place over a century ago sound familiar today: theatres, schools and borders were all closed. Public spaces, including telephones, were disinfected, historians say and in the United States, people could be fined up to $100 for not wearing a mask. In 1918, it was quickly understood that crowds could cause further transmission.

"Lockdowns were put in place and progress was made in the application of preventive measures that had historically proven effective. 

https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/03/how-did-the-spanish-flu-pandemic-end-and-what-lessons-can-we-learn-from-a-century-ago

Academics agree that the end of the pandemic occurred in 1920, when society ended up developing a collective immunity to the Spanish flu, although the virus never completely disappeared.

500 million people or one-third of the world's population became infected with this virus. The number of deaths was estimated to be at least 50 million

My post that you quoted was in response to a poster saying there is no blue print for Corona. I hope he read your post.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My post that you quoted was in response to a poster saying there is no blue print for Corona. I hope he read your post.

This is different from Spanish Flu pandemic for major reasons, similarities yes, blueprint no, due to many conflicting political, economic, travel, trade, and health and population matters. So this is unique