Friend used a visa "agent", for a medical visa but no hospital. Trouble? Anybody ever done this?

My friend used a visa agent and is a little concerned about it. It's a well known agency with lots and lots of good reviews on google for visa runs/marriage visas/etc, and people on here have talked about it being legitimate. Still said it was quite sketchy. 

During March before the amnesty he reached out to the agent to see if there's anything they could do while on a tourist visa. They told him yes, they can help him get a medical visa for 90 days. Paid 20K and left his passport. They came back about 3 weeks later and it had a visa stamp... but not from his local immigration office. It was from a further one (think he's in bangkok and it was kalasin immigration). Said no other paperwork came with it, the agency said to tell immigration he used an agency if they asked questions. 

Is he in trouble when he leaves? It seems this is pretty common with foreigners, especially right now. Lots of agencies doing this I've heard of volunteer/medical visas. 

• Haha 1

afaik; there is no law that says any farang cant move anywhere in Thailand, file a new TM 30  and apply for an extension there

There is no way to tell if an agent arranged it or not, although i am sure some officials are not stupid

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

afaik; there is no law that says any farang cant move anywhere in Thailand, file a new TM 30  and apply for an extension there

There is no way to tell if an agent arranged it or not, although i am sure some officials are not stupid

farang can move, but normally IMMIGRATION POLICE shows up to check if you REALLY live there

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/5/2020 at 6:04 PM, tonray said:

Gulp..... 

If the stamp came from an immigration office in Kalasin, then there will be no problem. That's not a fake stamp. If he stays in BKK, just go to CW and submit a TM30 report. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

how much did he pay ?

On 8/5/2020 at 5:48 PM, pavierre said:

They told him yes, they can help him get a medical visa for 90 days. Paid 20K and left his passport.

At the end of the post it say's "when he leaves" ?

So will he leave Thailand near the end of the 90 days, if so I doubt immigration at the airport will give him much trouble.

23 minutes ago, JTXR said:

Whether or not he has a problem about the stamp, isn't it the case that if he arrives now with a "medical visa" he will be required to spend the 14-day quarantine in a hospital?

He received a medical extension (while already in Thailand). That is very different.

Yes, if someone acquires a visa to enter Thailand for medical treatment, there is a requirement to spend 14 days either in Alternative Hospital Quarantine or Alternative State Quarantine.

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

At the end of the post it say's "when he leaves" ?

So will he leave Thailand near the end of the 90 days, if so I doubt immigration at the airport will give him much trouble.

No the 90 days has already expired, and then was on visa amnesty. He was concerned if he leaves then they see the stamp on his way out, and get suspicious

8 hours ago, steven100 said:

if your friend acquired a fake stamp ....  expect a knock on the door soon.

If the friend acquired a fake stamp, immigration wouldn't know about it and thus not knock on the door

If it's a real stamp, then they also won't knock.

So the chance that immigration will knock on the door is close to zero percent.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pavierre said:

No the 90 days has already expired, and then was on visa amnesty. He was concerned if he leaves then they see the stamp on his way out, and get suspicious

I'm presuming that your friend got his visa stamp at the immigration office as normal, just that the paperwork via the "agent' to obtain the visa was lets say iffy?

He then over-stayed the 90 days [a bit dumb] 
So his only option is to go back to the immigration office to sort out an extension & pay a fine or pay a fine at the airport when he leaves, but the longer he stays now as it's expired the higher the fine as it's calculated per day.

Up to I think a maximum 20,000 baht.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I'm presuming that your friend got his visa stamp at the immigration office as normal, just that the paperwork via the "agent' to obtain the visa was lets say iffy?

He then over-stayed the 90 days [a bit dumb] 

There is no overstay now until after September 26th.

He is now on a "automatic extension" under the ministerial notice that has been extended until then.

• Like 2

They offered me a medical visa 90 days for 18k, I talked with a swedish guy who goes there and he told me it's reliable. They told me it needs 10-14 business days, so if I want to start the 90 days close to the 26th of september I would need to go in the first week of september. I want to be here until the 26th of december, so I need some days of overstay, is that a problem? For example if I get the 90 days the 25th of september, the overstay would be only two days, but if the day of the stamp is the 21th of september, it would be 6 days. In that case, which is the best option? To pay the fine in the airport the day of my flight? To go to an inmigration office before that? Could they investigate me? Ask me for medical documentation?

Edited by jonga80
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jonga80 said:

They offered me a medical visa 90 days for 18k, I talked with a swedish guy who goes there and he told me it's reliable. They told me it needs 10-14 business days, so if I want to start the 90 days close to the 26th of september I would need to go in the first week of september. I want to be here until the 26th of december, so I need some days of overstay, is that a problem? For example if I get the 90 days the 25th of september, the overstay would be only two days, but if the day of the stamp is the 21th of september, it would be 6 days. In that case, which is the best option? To pay the fine in the airport the day of my flight? To go to an inmigration office before that? Could they investigate me? Ask me for medical documentation?

It is 99% sure there would be no problem. You would have a choice of applying yourself for a further extension in December (denied) and getting seven days to leave the country; or pay the fine at the airport. In the latter case you would have an overstay on your record which may or may not have consequences in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One way immigration gets you if you use a visa agent linked to another office is when it is 90 day report time ..... my brother-in-law got caught out - when he went to immigration they said go to the immigration office that issued it - or pay a fee - he calculated that the fee was slightly less than the travel cost so paid up. Of course, he could have done a change of address, but surprise, surprise 'cannot do now' ......

2 minutes ago, rickudon said:

One way immigration gets you if you use a visa agent linked to another office is when it is 90 day report time ..... my brother-in-law got caught out - when he went to immigration they said go to the immigration office that issued it - or pay a fee - he calculated that the fee was slightly less than the travel cost so paid up. Of course, he could have done a change of address, but surprise, surprise 'cannot do now' ......

you can chose to not report the whole year... what they gonna do ? home visit ?

one fee of 2000 baht per year for not reporting, right ?

for the dude in a closed post : I asked info from agents, I did not use them as they are crooks, but I asked them "how" THEY could help and how much it would cost, for a paper immigration asked that is not even on their own website, but now wanted from me

4 hours ago, BritTim said:

They offered me a medical visa 90 days for 18k

89 days of overstay, which would start on 27 september -> +- 26 oktober , +- 25 november,  +- 24 december  would be 500 baht cheaper and no need for scammy agency and not supporting active corruption

• Like 1