BANGKOK
jaiyenyen

Do you use a slow cooker?

I was wondering if any of you use a slow cooker in Thailand.

I bought one for around 700 baht in Big C about 6 months ago and use it at least once a week. So far, I've had success with Stews, curries, smothered pork chops, Pork ribs, chutney and rice pudding. Dead easy to use. Prep the food, chuck it in the slow cooker and flick the switch and wait.

Loads of recipes on Youtube and facebook.

I gave up on ours a few years back.  I just couldn't make it produce high quality results, despite following several recipes. I guess they are okay if you at work all day and want to come home and eat straight away, but frankly, we just never used it.  Its now gathering dust in the store room.  

• Like 1

If I would ask my cooker (wife) if it´s possible that she could cook slower, I guess she wouldn´t do it.

• Haha 2

Yes, use regular to make batches of "bean soup" & stews :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Known to our American friends as a crock pot

Posted (edited)

Mostly, I used the slow cooker (crock pot) to make stews and soups.  Just cut up a bunch of veggies and chunks of meat, turn it on in the morning and had a great stew or soup by dinner.

I used my pressure cooker to make pulled pork and pulled chicken for BBQ sandwiches.  If you cook the pork or chicken twice, it just falls apart with a fork- perfect for slathering it with BBQ sauce. Also worked well on normally tough Thai beef.

I also made my own BBQ sauce, using ketchup, pineapple vinegar, brown sugar, cinnamon and clove powder.  Made amazing sandwiches.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, CGW said:

Yes, use regular to make batches of "bean soup" & stews :thumbsup:

I found that the flavours were too concentrated and no opportunity to adjust the various ingredients as it cooked. It also seemed to just 'boil' meat, which I found unappetising for all meat cuts and for chicken.    

We use ours often, I mostly use it to slow cook carnitas, which I place into little freezer bags, when I want some tacos my wife reheats it, makes corn tortillas and, home made salsa, instant tacos. I find it great for cooking meat, slow cooking in the great taste by adding all your seasonings and cooking at least 8-10 hours.

Never really knew about, or was interested in slow cookers.

However, few years ago out neighbours gifted up one when they sold their house and went back to UK.

It is great. We use it at least once a week. Make really good stews and the like in it..

Anyone thinking of getting one...I can say...go for it! 😅

I lucked out and found one on the appliance shelf at my local Big C.  It was on sale for a little over 400b.  Interestingly enough, I recently chatted with my neighbour about a slow cooker/crock pot, and wondered if he had ever seen one here.  Nope.

Anyways, I'm familiar with them.  Googled a few recipes, and have made ribs, pork roast (for pulled pork) and a couple western style stews.  Low impact, easy, tasty meals.  Happy I found one, my occasional meal contribution of 15-20 minutes of prep time and 4-6 hours slow cooking, is well received.