Do you use a slow cooker?

jaiyenyen

I gave up on ours a few years back.  I just couldn't make it produce high quality results, despite following several recipes. I guess they are okay if you at work all day and want to come home and eat straight away, but frankly, we just never used it.  Its now gathering dust in the store room.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, CGW said:

Yes, use regular to make batches of "bean soup" & stews :thumbsup:

I found that the flavours were too concentrated and no opportunity to adjust the various ingredients as it cooked. It also seemed to just 'boil' meat, which I found unappetising for all meat cuts and for chicken.    

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, Iforbach said:

G8t thing get cheap beef cuts. Sear it 6 hours later add veg etc 4 a hour ..I think they great ..do split pea big pot n freeze for mushy peas ..not far off the mark . I bought air fryer . Brilliant too..happy cooking 

I use a slow cooker. Its great for slow cooked meat and I'm looking at getting an air fryer as my friend uses one and I love the chips he makes (fries for our American cousins ???? ) 

Made a pot of Black Eyed Peas on Sunday. I like beans. I rotate though. BEP (navy),  lentils, Pinto, white beans, make a pot every other week. I make less stews or pot meals because the G is a serious Thai market shopper. We will be off to the morning market in about 10 minutes. 

A note for any bean addicts. You can get heat scorching here in Thailand. Usually that is with Pintos but sadly Pintos are one of my favorites.

• Like 1

I have been searching for what seems an eternity to buy one that is programmable. I find lots on line for sale in America, and U.K. However, all the models I see here are either too small, or, as on Lazada of a poor quality and basic design.....:sad:

had an OTTO for about ten years cooked lamb shanks/ scouse/chicken soups all sorts bought another smaller model (oven) for chicken wings (five spice/lime/ect..ect) but have left it up country.

for around 800 baht you cannot complain. does the job. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 9:10 PM, CGW said:

Yes, use regular to make batches of "bean soup" & stews :thumbsup:

Me2. Italian Passata, tinned butter beans, garlic puree, seasoning, dash chili sauce, mixed frozen veg, chicken or pork, water. Shove it all in - microwave 15 min or low heat on slow cooker.

1 hour ago, Jaggg88 said:

I use a slow cooker. Its great for slow cooked meat and I'm looking at getting an air fryer as my friend uses one and I love the chips he makes (fries for our American cousins ???? ) 

Just acquired a Xiaomi franchised air fryer from Lazada - pinkish colour. Its great for fries and chicken and to make frozen pie crusts crispy (microwave first) in 5-10 min. Cant say is great for roasting other veggies, though, as it caramelises them. Use it all the time now. Also it tends to make sausage skins rather tough.

• Like 2

I make this often for a dinner party - Delicious 

image.png.c24d0b5449523ffb16be4d5aa690e115.png 

Amazing Pork Tenderloin in the Slow Cooker

Prep 15 m

Cook 4 h

"This will melt in your mouth! This pork tenderloin soaks up the yummy juices as it cooks. Make sure to serve up the au jus on the side - its amazing! This recipe is so simple, you will love it!"

Ingredients

·       1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin

·       1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix

·       1 cup water

·       3/4 cup red wine

·       3 tablespoons minced garlic

·       3 tablespoons soy sauce

·       freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions

1.      Place pork tenderloin in a slow cooker with the contents of the soup packet. Pour water, wine, and soy sauce over the top, turning the pork to coat. Carefully spread garlic over the pork, leaving as much on top of the roast during cooking as possible. Sprinkle with pepper, cover, and cook on low setting for 4 hours. Serve with cooking liquid on the side as au jus.

Amazing Pork Tenderloin in the Slow Cooker.docx

• Thanks 1

Nothing like cooking at Home

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings

1 sweet onion, diced
1 cup chopped carrots
2 garlic cloves, minced
2.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or combination with thighs
1 tbsp tarragon
1/2 teaspoon flour
56 (?) ounces low-sodium chicken stock
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup half and half

dumplings
1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup milk (whole, 2% or 1%)

In the bottom of your crockpot, layer onions, carrots and garlic. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper then lay them on top.

Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add butter. Once sizzling, whisk in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes to create a roux, until it's golden in color. Add in 2 cups of chicken stock and mix well, bringing to a boil. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring, then remove from heat and pour over the chicken and vegetables. Add remaining chicken stock, put the lid on and cook on low for 6 hours.

After 6 hours, turn the crockpot heat onto high. Using forks or kitchen tongs, lightly shred the chicken breasts. (This should be easy since they have cooked so long.) Stir half and half into the crockpot, then recover while you make the dumplings. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper. Crumble in butter with your fingers and rub into the flour until evenly dispersed and coarse crumbs form. Add in milk, stirring well just until a sticky dough forms. Use a tablespoon measure and add small scoops of the dough into the crockpot, starting by placing them around the outside first, then the inside. Cover and cook for another 1-1.5 hours, until dumplings are cooked but soft and not longer raw in the middle. Taste and season additionally if desired.

Don’t use here in Bangkok because street food is so cheap it hardly seems worth the effort but back in USA I used mine a lot. I don’t drink beer but always substituted it for water when coooking in it. The alcohol cooks off but it seemed the grains in the beer added to the flavor of whatever I was cooking rather than diluting the flavor as water does.

• Like 2

I bought one, and I have used it for a beef stew, but the wife doesn't like it she prefers to just load up a pot cover it and leave it on the stove top - which as its an electric induction burner, I guess its pretty much the same as plugging in a slow cooker. Now the thing I bought just takes up space in the house as my wife cooks great stews without it.