• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Recently I've been using it to make a spicy tomato chutney. When I made my first batch, It filled about 5 jam jars. I gave some to my wife to try. After about a week she asked me to make some mor

After reading this thread and looking up recipes on that Internet thingy, I bought a slow cooker yesterday from Big C Extra, an Otto SC-207 with a capacity of 3.5 Litres for 499 Baht. It is a clay pot

Yes, use regular to make batches of "bean soup" & stews 

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

"no opportunity to adjust the various ingredients as it cooked."

You're confusing a croak pot and a pressure cooker.    You can lift the lid of a croak pot at any time during the cooking process.

fair point.  I was actually referring to the selling point for slow cookers. that you can throw everything in it,  go to work for 8 hours and come home to as nice cooked meal. as opposed to cooking and  adjusting as you go, to get the right result.  I never found that to be so, but I know that many people swear by them. To me its like taking a sledge hammer to break a nut. No finesse whatsoever, and good cooking is all about finesse.   I didn't make that clear enough.   

On 8/5/2020 at 7:45 PM, jaiyenyen said:

I dont know about the cooker, but the food looks delicious... mmmm

• Like 2

I just got the bug yesterday to buy one of those digital pressure cookers..."Instant Pot" of course the real version can be had for about $100 bucks in the US (Amazon) but here triple at about $300 dollars. So of course looking for a knockoff from China...anyone have any recommendations ?

On 10/28/2020 at 7:59 PM, Andy from Kent said:

"no opportunity to adjust the various ingredients as it cooked."

You're confusing a croak pot and a pressure cooker.    You can lift the lid of a croak pot at any time during the cooking process.

You can lift the lid, but doing so frequently can greatly increase the cooking time:

"Keep the lid on. Do not lift the lid or cover unnecessarily during the cooking cycle. Each time the lid is raised, the internal temperature drops 10 to 15 degrees and the cooking process is slowed by 30 minutes."

On 8/5/2020 at 8:40 PM, jaiyenyen said:

Prep the food, chuck it in the slow cooker

My wife is a fast cooker - can whip up a meal in minutes...

You lost me at 'prep the food' 

• Haha 1
On 10/29/2020 at 10:38 AM, Pilotman said:

good cooking is all about finesse.

Yeah, I try and do ballet while my food cooks but it doesn't help.

Whatever you do, please don’t reheat your meal in a slow cooker; the contents can ‘turn’ and become inedible and possibly poisonous for some reason. Rather tip into a saucepan and reheat on a stove or microwave.

• Like 2