Fauci expects tens of millions of coronavirus vaccine doses at start of 2021

webfact

6 minutes ago, Tug said:

I’d also be delighted if we shared it with the world so all could benefit 

We? Are you Russian? I know they are ahead currently in the race. But US pharma is no slouch. And there are candidates in China and India as well.

Added: And the British Oxford too. It's going to be close

Edited by Why Me
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, shdmn said:

The AstraZeneca one is being manufactured all over the world.  So fortunately the US cannot hoard that one.

AstraZeneca is the British Oxford collaboration. It's not US. I read that they have already started manufacture at units in India and elsewhere to save time in anticipation of successful trials. If not, they'll destroy the lots and take a loss.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tug said:

I personally don’t care what their politics or there religion is we are all brothers and sisters under the skin with generally the same life goals safety and security for their family’s and a better life for ther kids it’s time to start working together 

Totally agree with your sentiments. It's just that when you said "we shared" I though you were a Cossack nationalist:-)

• Confused 2

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Vaccines normally given in the upper arm, near shoulder.

Maybe we'll leave the pulling down of pants and jabbing to you?

True, buttocks aren't the most preferred site. But what do you do? You've got your knee across the throat of this screaming loon flailing their arms in an effort to get away. Easiest then for your partner to squat on their legs and jab their bottom.

As they say vaccines should be safe and effective for those receiving. And the vaccination process should be safe and effective for those administering.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Might as well ignore talk of vaccine until it's actually available, it's just announced in hope

They are praying that there will be one, as they don't seem to have a plan B. Just imagine them all having to say "sorry, but...................................".

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Safe?

Effective?

One or two or more, or annual booster, applications?

Cost to patient?

Long term effects?

Enough glass vial, needles, syringes?

Everyone, save for anti-vaxxers, wants a vaccine. OK, a lot of people want a vaccine, incl. Wall St.

Seen some (U.S.) surveys which say that 33% - 50% will NOT get a Covid-19 vaccine.

Bring on the "herders".

I doubt many are saying they will NEVER get a Corona vaccine. Far more likely that, like me, they want to wait and see if it's safe.

I had the flu jab, so no problem with vaccines per se, just rushed ones. There is way too much money involved with this one for me to trust anything they say about it being safe till a lot of people have had it first without side effects.

• Like 2

BTW, given that the supply will not be sufficient for the numbers, I don't expect to be offered it for a long while anyway.

There are way higher priorities than old unproductive men living on a pension.

Ergo, I doubt I'll even have to decline it till it has been tried out of several million other people first as I won't be asked if I want it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Why Me said:

One situation where US-Russian rivalry could actually benefit the world.

Or the Russians just steal vaccine research from the US, Asian and European researchers and be first to distribute a vaccine. Competition becomes unnecessary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scott said:

It is worth noting that to date, there has not been an effective vaccine against any of the 7 various strains of coronavirus.   It doesn't mean this one won't be, but past efforts haven't been successful. 

True in the sense that there has not been 100% effacy in the current '4-strain' flu vaccine (I believe the other three are too rare to economically develop a vaccine).

But the historical 60-75% effacy of the flu vaccine has been enough to prevent community spread if 75%+ of the community takes the vaccine. 

Some problems noted by Dr. Fauci with a new covid-19 vaccine is that it may require more than one shot per year and even with an effacy as high as 75%, if less than about one-third of Americans do not get the vaccine (antivaxers), community immunity will not occur - the disease will continue to survive, infect and kill.

Edited by Srikcir
add 'do not'

4 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

True in the sense that there has not been 100% effacy in the current '4-strain' flu vaccine (I believe the other three are too rare to economically develop a vaccine).

But the historical 60-75% effacy of the flu vaccine has been enough to prevent community spread if 75%+ of the community takes the vaccine. 

Some problems noted by Dr. Fauci with a new covid-19 vaccine is that it may require more than one shot per year and even with an effacy as high as 75%, if less than about one-third of Americans get the vaccine (antivaxers), community immunity will not occur - the disease will continue to survive, infect and kill.

Influenza is not a coronavirus.  There are 7 types of coronavirus.   These include SARS and MERS, neither of which have a vaccine for.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scott said:

It is worth noting that to date, there has not been an effective vaccine against any of the 7 various strains of coronavirus.   It doesn't mean this one won't be, but past efforts haven't been successful. 

Good point, but dont think we have ever had an effort on this magnitude by so many before.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scott said:

True and I think most of the reports coming from the trials is positive.  A big question, however, for how long is the vaccination effective.  

Sars fizzled out by itself so the effort to develop a vaccine fell away as less urgent, Mers is confined to the Middle East and so I guess the priority for that also was diminished. I agree that the current trials in some of the front runner covid vaccines are looking very promising and reasonable expectations are now for some to succeed. They may be similar to the flu vaccine, yearly? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Why Me said:

True, buttocks aren't the most preferred site. But what do you do? You've got your knee across the throat of this screaming loon flailing their arms in an effort to get away. Easiest then for your partner to squat on their legs and jab their bottom.

The eye ball!  ????