Fauci expects tens of millions of coronavirus vaccine doses at start of 2021

webfact

2 hours ago, sungod said:

Good point, but dont think we have ever had an effort on this magnitude by so many before.

Yes this is an often overlooked point; however, there are vaccines for coronaviruses that cause disease in livestock. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Why Me said:

One situation where US-Russian rivalry could actually benefit the world.

Are you speaking of the rivalry/competition involved with who creates the first vaccine or am I totally off track? If it is that particular "whose first" competition, I totally agree. It doesn't matter where it comes from as it will be beneficial to everyone.

russians are saying they will beat em to it ,but who knows ,UK has 4 types on order

but in the meantime .....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/27/health/coronavirus-mask-protection.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Masks May Reduce Viral Dose, Some Experts Say

People wearing face coverings will take in fewer coronavirus particles, evidence suggests, making disease less severe.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dap said:

Are you speaking of the rivalry/competition involved with who creates the first vaccine or am I totally off track? If it is that particular "whose first" competition, I totally agree. It doesn't matter where it comes from as it will be beneficial to everyone.

Exactly. Because there's another thread about how the Russians have an Aug. date to release their own vaccine. Which would be a Sputnik moment.

But actually a lot of great inventions came about from the space race and the past years it's become a model of US-Russian-European collaboration. Hope the same thing happens with the vaccine.

Like you say we're all in this together. And we'll all benefit whoever rings the bell first. But, between you and me, I hope it ain't the Chinese.

Edited by Why Me
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Why Me said:

Exactly. Because there's another thread about how the Russians have an Aug. date to release their own vaccine. Which would be a Sputnik moment.

But actually a lot of great inventions came about from the space race and the past years it's become a model of US-Russian-European collaboration. Hope the same thing happens with the vaccine.

Like you say we're all in this together. And we'll all benefit whoever rings the bell first. But, between you and me, I hope it ain't the Chinese.

Difficult to "Like" and "Laugh" at the same time but in fact I do agree with you and your last line did leave me with a laugh. Cheers

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

BTW, given that the supply will not be sufficient for the numbers, I don't expect to be offered it for a long while anyway.

There are way higher priorities than old unproductive men living on a pension.

Ergo, I doubt I'll even have to decline it till it has been tried out of several million other people first as I won't be asked if I want it.

+ 1

Even in a best case scenario I think the vaccine will be a disaster. What are we going to do? Withhold the vaccine from places like Iran? Let innocents die? Use it as a bargaining chip? 

We will see if there ever is an effective vaccine. I would not bet on it, especially during the stated timelines. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 2:56 PM, sungod said:

Good point, but dont think we have ever had an effort on this magnitude by so many before.

IMO only because previous virus attacks were largely confined to "over there" and did not severely affect rich western countries. If Ebola migrated to Europe and America one could be safe to say it would be dealt with a lot more importantly than it is done now, when it mainly affects Africans.

On 8/7/2020 at 3:13 PM, utalkin2me said:

Even in a best case scenario I think the vaccine will be a disaster. What are we going to do? Withhold the vaccine from places like Iran? Let innocents die? Use it as a bargaining chip? 

We will see if there ever is an effective vaccine. I would not bet on it, especially during the stated timelines. 

Be interesting to see how Sweden does.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:47 PM, Dap said:

Where it comes from first is very important as it will affect the cost.

On 8/6/2020 at 6:05 PM, natway09 said:

55% of Americans surveyed will not wear a mask, 46% say they will not take the jab.

What is wrong with these people ? Too many Amendments me thinks.

No jab, no international travel sounds like a good idea

IMO it's because Americans have a healthy distrust of government, and don't believe much that comes out of it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Where it comes from first is very important as it will affect the cost.

Quite true, but not as important as actually creating a viable vaccine in the first place. In the history of medicine, there have only been 7 vaccines created and after how many years are they continuing to search for a vaccine for AIDS? Create one first, worry about whose gonna be able to pay for it then.

On 8/6/2020 at 4:06 AM, webfact said:

by the end of the year, when he expects a vaccine to be available

What exactly means "available"?

Available like maybe a few people will be able to test the vaccine and maybe it will work?

Or available like anybody can see a doctor and get a thoroughly tested product for a reasonable price?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Be interesting to see how Sweden does.

They are doing well now and most there are happy with how they have handled things. Mortality was way down with a high amount of cases and cases are now declining. While many died because of the failure in nursing homes, physicians there also recognized that alot of those fatalities were also going to die in the next few months if not from covid from some other ailment as they already had multiple ailments. With the degree of immunity they already have (both from antibodies 10-20% in Stockholm and t-cells-believe it tests at 30%) Tegnell and others feel good about the country's ability to handle another wave of the ailment. They believe it will mostly be seasonal. here are two interesting interviews, one with Tegnell and one with a Swedish physician and researcher on immunity.

Swedish Doctor: T-cell immunity and the truth about Covid-19 in Sweden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwQpg62Kflg

Swedish Covid-19 chief Anders Tegnell: judge me in a year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xh9wso6bEAc

Situation looks very good now in Sweden for cases and fatalities if one looks at the graph. Their physicians believe it is down to immunity building up, social distancing and the seasonal nature of the ailment.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

Edited by vermin on arrival