Facebook removes Trump post over coronavirus misinformation

webfact

Facebook already had enough trouble with the ad boycott lately. Zuck had to throw out little red meat. Hopefully they just stop all political ads on both sides as it is spare change to what the core of what they do is. Oddly enough my shares spiked up around 7% today and I have no idea why. 

I can't believe it would be because of this. FB is a company that gets a lot of hate on all sides but has become an essential resource for the small businesses trying to survive the virus.

Hopefully they just put the political ads out to pasture because there isn't enough money there to impact their bottom line. Let other people worry about such nonsense and continue to innovate.

Edited by Cryingdick

15 minutes ago, paddypower said:

Yes, it is called alternative realities. an example would be where Barron Trump, Betsy's teens, Kelly Ann's kids will not go to school, whilst Trump is telling everyone else to send their kids to school. I certainly do not want to be accused of bullying you - but your hero's reaction to 155,000 Americans dead....''it is what it is''.

Do you really want Zuckerberg and Company deciding for us which alternate reality is true on a daily basis? This is not about one single thing being blocked but about freedom of expression.

It's an about-face on Zuck's part as he said recently they are not the arbiters of truth. Some of us are adult enough to wish to have all information available to us whether somebody get's offended by it or not. I also object as a shareholder because FB is inserting themselves in fights they don't need to have. 

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

Just now, paddypower said:

your FB stock went up because it's a cookie monster (Zuck admitted to Congress that they buy up their competitors) and there are no parents at home (read that as no anti-trust oversight any more). same-same with Apple, Google, etc. your'e on a winner!

Tat is no explanation to a melt up like today. In general I agree however if that is your accepted catalyst to a sudden surge stick to index funds. Something weird happened. 

17 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

read you loud and clear, don't agree though

this is a good sub-topic. Maybe I'll start one, because over the next 87 days, you will see a massive info-war by both parties, using social media.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

Tat is no explanation to a melt up like today. In general I agree however if that is your accepted catalyst to a sudden surge stick to index funds. Something weird happened. 

agree, it's weird. I've stayed out of the US equity markets b/c assuming the Dems take the Presidency and, possibly take/retain both houses of Congress, the market will melt down. and it's not just the politics. Reliable reports show that the number of permanent job losses in the US is increasing. That is truly alarming. Additionally, I think the techs are on thin ice (ain't that beautiful head rhyme?). The Dems will bring in stronger anti-trust regs. Bad news for the cookie monsters. I use the term because as they take over the social media world, we are losing all semblance of privacy.

4 minutes ago, paddypower said:

agree, it's weird. I've stayed out of the US equity markets b/c assuming the Dems take the Presidency and, possibly take/retain both houses of Congress, the market will melt down. and it's not just the politics. Reliable reports show that the number of permanent job losses in the US is increasing. That is truly alarming. Additionally, I think the techs are on thin ice (ain't that beautiful head rhyme?). The Dems will bring in stronger anti-trust regs. Bad news for the cookie monsters. I use the term because as they take over the social media world, we are losing all semblance of privacy.

Tech companies being regulated will only work to their favor. Much like banning tobacco ads was good for Phillip Morris. When you have no competition you are in a good spot. Anyway to get back to the point FB should stay away from being the moral compass and stay away from political ads all of which are toxic.

If FB is so worried about the dems gaining control and cutting their balls off why censor Trump? It is interesting that tech companies hate Trump so badly but love his policies. The left wants to break up the handful of successful companies we have left now that most people are unessential.

On 8/6/2020 at 6:59 AM, stevenl said:

And now back to the op: what did Trump say and is that true?

He said children are almost immune, which is not true,hence the post got pulled.

Your post is a nice attempt at deflection.

swedens statistics show trump is correct and you wrong

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Exactly. Some WOULD say it then or right after the flight left ( however there are no non stops NYC to BKK) because they have been waiting to go on the trip for a long time. Another would say it at the halfway point , another when there is 4 hours to touchdown , another one hour before and of course  you and the other poster would say it in the taxi to hotel or on the elevator just before you get to the hotel room. Spare me the details on how to comprehend the word “almost”. You are wrong or purposely think it means 99% for obvious hateful reasons. 

You, together with Trump and his sycophants, obviously have a different definition of the word 'almost' to the rest of the English speaking world!

A reminder: the dictionary definition of 'almost' is nearly but not quite.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scott said:

<snip>

There is a lot we don't know about the virus, especially with children.

Indeed; so to claim that children are 'almost immune' is a dangerous falsehood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Facebook is a private company and has every right to decide what and who to publish.

I remind you of the first amendment of the US constitution and what it says about freedom of the press.

You, like everyone else, have every right not to read it.

Except when those companies become monopolies, which when you see the 3 different types of platforms, video and search content, message content, and social content, Google, Twitter, and Facebook easily fit that definition.

If the shoe were on the other foot and all three were silencing the left's views, you could bet there would already be laws passing to stop it.

I say just wait awhile, the left has only just started eating their own. They'll figure it out eventually; I hope.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, frantick said:

I believe in freedom of all speech, even wrong, hate, lie speech. When you suppress it, you cannot debate it, and then it can become more than it is.

While I don’t think that freedom of speech should cover lies and hatred, no one’s freedom of speech has been suppressed. Because freedom of speech is not the right that everyone needs to let you into their living room to spread your bs. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 1