Pattaya: Greedy Grab - riders protest that company is not paying them enough

webfact

7 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Their pay hasnt been cut , they are getting less money because fewer customers now people are eating out more

You may be right there CC.......its written in an ambiguous sort of way......

So I jumped on side of the worker......oh well to late to edit..........or as my lovely Thai wife would say--"Your making a fool of yourself again"

"A spokesman said that some riders were making 1,000 baht before but changes meant they are now lucky to make 400 baht a day."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Airalee said:

Judging from the grief that Americans get here on Thaivisa for bringing our horrible tipping culture here to Thailand...

“They’ll all start expecting tips!  You’re making Thailand more expensive for the rest of us!”

...I doubt most Farangs are tipping either.

Stingy bastards! 

It IS a horrible tipping culture.

Do your job, get your pay.

Do your job extremely well, and go above and beyond. If you are lucky the customer might recognise your devotion and tip you.

This 'expected' tip routine is ridiculous, and is downright unsavoury when the service is substandard.

• Like 1

Consumer boycott of this and other delivery companies would be nice, until they stop terrorising the roads.  Pretty fair bet that the imbecile that passes you at video game speeds will be wearing a grab outfit or similar.  Doubtful there's stats for how many accidents they cause, but no doubt it's many.  They need to learn to care about other people before they expect others to care about them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

they can start their own co-op

If they did, the delivery price would be double the cost of the meal.

It would be like the metered taxis here.

Customer:          "How much to delivery a pizza to my house?"

Delivery Rider:    "How much you can pay." 

???? 

If they had valid drivers licenses and insurance I might feel a bit of sympathy, but having had one idiot cut across in front of my car and then finding that he had neither, and as a result he did a runner as soon as I was on my phone calling plod, I won't complain if the whole Grab Food operation goes broke.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Someone working in a 7/11 is on the minimum wage of 300 baht a day,

Why do they think they deserve more than people working in minimum wage jobs?   

does that 7/11  person have to pay fuel/road tax/maintenance/insurance/monthly payments on the scoot they use to satisfy each transaction they process ?

6 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

does that 7/11  person have to pay fuel/road tax/maintenance/insurance/monthly payments on the scoot they use to satisfy each transaction they process ?

They own the bike, so they have to pay for all the expenses you mention anyway, except for fuel.

Minimum wage is 300 baht in Thailand.  A lot of Thai's are on that, with many on even less.  These guys are on 400 baht, on a bad day, and it's not hard work and is unskilled work with little accountability.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

They own the bike, so they have to pay for all the expenses you mention anyway, except for fuel.

How do you know they own the bike ?

did not realise GRAB pays for the fuel, do you have a link that outlines this as part of the employment terms ?

3 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

How do you know they own the bike ?

did not realise GRAB pays for the fuel, do you have a link that outlines this as part of the employment terms ?

I said, "except for fuel."  Read again.

As for owning the bike, since you raised it, care to give a percentage of Grab riders who financed, leased, or rented a bike, solely for the purpose of riding for Grab? 

We all know they already owned the bike.  

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

We all know they already owned the bike.  

do we ?

you dribbled that, not me.

no surprise you have nothing to back your claims though and pathetically try to deflect it back on me.

16 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

do we ?

you dribbled that, not me.

no surprise you have nothing to back your claims though and pathetically try to deflect it back on me.

So, all the Grab riders went out and bought a bike, or financed a bike, just so they could ride from Grab.  Give me a break.

Got a link to show they don't own their bikes?  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Fair enough. they are not obliged to work for Grab. they can start their own co-op and;

-pay for the IT infrastructure and dispatch services.

- pay for the advertising

- pay into a fund to compensate customers who are ripped off or injured.

What is not mentioned is that clients/users have the option of tipping. In many countries, the drivers make their profit on the gratuity. Perhaps the Thais don't tip.

Or go back to taxi mafa rank

Most of these people are ex taxi mafia apprentices failed. They are simply taking advantage of the situation. Fire these people and employ fresh faces. Arrest them for causing a public disturbance. Giving the country a bad name. Back to mafia rank.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

Or go back to taxi mafa rank

Even the taxi mafia have no customers to rip off these days.

Under corona virus conditions, and beyond, a lot of Thai's are going to struggle with the terms, "market correction" or in other words, "the shoes is on the other foot."  

The easy money has gone.

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Even the taxi mafia have no customers to rip off these days.

Under corona virus conditions, and beyond, a lot of Thai's are going to struggle with the terms, "market correction" or in other words, "the shoes is on the other foot."  

The easy money has gone.

................... I find myself unable to shed a tear where the motocy taxi mafia are concerned.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

................... I find myself unable to shed a tear where the motocy taxi mafia are concerned.

No sympathy from me, either.  Including these guys that are trying to become the Grab food delivery mafia.  

12 hours ago, essox essox said:

you must include ALL MOTORBIKE RIDERS.....they are all terrible drivers.....get em off the roads....

I am a motorbike rider, don't regard myself a terrible driver, nor danger to others. Now the Grab food guys make the WIN guys look positively pedestrian.

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2020 at 2:15 PM, Deli said:

Did anyone here consider that they have to pay for the bike, gas, maintenance. The risk they have going through the traffic, unhappy customers if a bit late, crappy weather sometimes...  It's not a fun job. And Grab definitely is not doing this for charity. Happy to have these delivery guys around and I tip them well.

I am the person who is at risk every time I hop on my motorcycle and have to watch out for these absolute clowns who have no regard for other road users – you’re welcome????????‍♂️????????????????????

Wow.. tough crowd here.  These drivers are hustling on every delivery because their job is the very definition of piece-work compensation, a wage structure always tilted in favour of the employer.

I ordered through Grab Food a couple of days ago. The restaurant was 6.7km from me. Delivery charge was 19 baht.

Also..

These food delivery apps are unprofitable world-wide and are burning through cash. I doubt the business model is sustainable long term. Another disrupt-er disrupted, same as AirBNB. Who is going to want to live and sleep in a property maintained by a private individual given the necessary labour input to maintain a covid-free environment?

Edited by bobbin

On 8/6/2020 at 9:44 AM, geriatrickid said:

Fair enough. they are not obliged to work for Grab. they can start their own co-op and;

-pay for the IT infrastructure and dispatch services.

- pay for the advertising

- pay into a fund to compensate customers who are ripped off or injured.

What is not mentioned is that clients/users have the option of tipping. In many countries, the drivers make their profit on the gratuity. Perhaps the Thais don't tip.

Notwithstanding the truth in what you say, there is undoubtedly the stark reality of worldwide wage inequality.  Whilst productivity has surged ahead over the decades, workers, particularly those in low skilled occupations, have seen paltry rises in salary that have frequently not kept pace with the cost of living.  If a company is so saddled with debt, steered by short-term thinking, unable to meet the most basic wage requirements, one should really be considering whether it is in fact a going concern at all, and that is before we consider the macro-economic picture of a failed economic system.

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

unable to meet the most basic wage requirements,

These guys are earning 400 baht on a bad day. 

Plenty of people on the minimum wage of 300 baht a day here as cleaners etc.  Not to mention the exploitation of Burmese labourers on less.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1