Pattaya: Greedy Grab - riders protest that company is not paying them enough

webfact

On 8/6/2020 at 2:33 PM, KhaoNiaw said:

High sales, high visibility, high demand, and still paying for tons of advertising. Yet still always losing money. Hmm. Sounds like some fancy accounting I've heard of before. Look up "Hollywood Accounting".

On paper, many big name blockbusters and movie studios are always in the red. Yet those directors, producers, and actors, still somehow end up with boatloads of cash. Heh. Rather ingenious, whatever it is they and Grab are doing.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2020 at 7:13 PM, essox essox said:

you must include ALL MOTORBIKE RIDERS.....they are all terrible drivers.....get em off the roads....

No

grab drivers (And others delivery mc) are by far the worst

you are right, get them off the roads, the sooner the better

Edited by kingofthemountain

On 8/6/2020 at 1:41 PM, pedro01 said:

400 Baht a day is a pitiful wage. 

1000 Baht a day isnt great either. 

So by what measure are they greedy? 

400 baht a day for some delivery on a motorbike is

far better than the usual 300 baht a day for 8 hours of 

hard work in the ricefields or on building sites

Grab drivers dont earn enough because THERE ARE TOO MANY GRAB DRIVERS. 

Any Grab driver that is not happy with his Grab income, should stop working for Grab.

Result: the remaining Grabdrivers will have MORE DELIVERIES and RE INCOME.

so the problem is not the grab company but the amount of grabdrivers.

if they were making 1000 baht before, and were happy, but 400  baht now, and unahappy, and the terms of employment have not changed surely it's down to demand and supply; either the number of grab riders has increased and therefore less work per rider, or the amount of work has decreased as people order less take away food... neither is grab's problem. in simple terms the solution/s is down to market forces; less riders or an upturn in take away food ordered.

42 minutes ago, samsensam said:

if they were making 1000 baht before, and were happy, but 400  baht now, and unahappy, and the terms of employment have not changed surely it's down to demand and supply; either the number of grab riders has increased and therefore less work per rider, or the amount of work has decreased as people order less take away food... neither is grab's problem. in simple terms the solution/s is down to market forces; less riders or an upturn in take away food ordered.

I agree with everything in your post. 

It's possible that with so much unemployment due to Covid, many have turned to Grab for some work / money.  Perhaps when tourism returns to normal, many of these riders will go back to their other employment, and there will be more work for those remaining with Grab.

It's not Grab's fault that they do not limit staff in a geographical area because these drivers can chose the days and times they want to work, so I understand Grab allowing everyone to sign up, because there's no guarantee anyone will work tomorrow.    

15 hours ago, steven100 said:

probably not the best time to be protesting about your income as I'm sure there are thousands who would love to take your place.

I am just amazed at the sheer number of them on the roads and hanging about waiting to be on the roads... is nobody eating out these days? On a 20 minute ride I might have a dozen whiz past me, then park amidst half a dozen by the mall.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I am just amazed at the sheer number of them on the roads and hanging about waiting to be on the roads... is nobody eating out these days? On a 20 minute ride I might have a dozen whiz past me, then park amidst half a dozen by the mall.

I underestimated... perhaps meal times are even busier! As I waited at the Big-CX lights on Klang today there were 5 Grabs waiting alongside, 3-4 whizzed by in the opposite direction, and 2 or 3 weaved through to avoid red lights and save a second or two. It's a new game to play when driving, like 'yellow car'......

Edited by jacko45k

21 hours ago, samsensam said:

This is Grab's problem to resolve.

Orders have increased a lot in this pandemic environment, but grab riders have multiplied even more.

Grab should not engage more riders than they have work for, because the riders are not paid an hourly wage.

It is same as if a bar would pay their waitresses only a percentage of what they serve, then employ 5 times more waitresses as that they have customers.

2 hours ago, Susco said:

It is same as if a bar would pay their waitresses only a percentage of what they serve, then employ 5 times more waitresses as that they have customers.

That's exactly what most of the bars are doing right now in Pattaya

probably in Thai logic a small income is better than nothing

6 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

That's exactly what most of the bars are doing right now in Pattaya

probably in Thai logic a small income is better than nothing

Bars pay their waitresses a small monthly salary, and on top of that they get the tips.

10 minutes ago, Susco said:

Bars pay their waitresses a small monthly salary, and on top of that they get the tips.

Not anymore

a well know foreign group with a lot of bars in Pattaya soi 6

now doesn't pay a fixed income to the girls (It was 5000 to 7000 before covid)

the girls have only the % on the lady drink wich is now 25 baths (It was 50 before the covid)

their only ''hope'' is to have a customer in short time or longtime, if not basicaly they

work for free.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2020 at 3:30 PM, kingofthemountain said:

Not anymore

a well know foreign group with a lot of bars in Pattaya soi 6

now doesn't pay a fixed income to the girls (It was 5000 to 7000 before covid)

the girls have only the % on the lady drink wich is now 25 baths (It was 50 before the covid)

their only ''hope'' is to have a customer in short time or longtime, if not basicaly they

work for free.

This is a business model that I think will stay for a while after Covid is finished.  The bars were competing with girls working off the apps before Covid.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

This is a business model that I think will stay for a while after Covid is finished.  The bars were competing with girls working off the apps before Covid.   

Most of the girls in the bars were already on the apps

even before covid, You are right basicaly the bars, at least the

ones that survived this. should become a meeting point with no

more barfines. Not sure if it will be enough to pay the ridiculous rents

asked by the greedy Thais landlords, The next months should be intersting.

• Thanks 1