Jump to content
BANGKOK
carlyai

Pumping Air thru Water Pipe

Recommended Posts

I'm going to pump air thru 20mm PVC 13.5 water pipe to my fish tanks. I'll be using some manual open/shut valves. Will the air leak thru or out of the valves? 

In other words, do the valves leak air?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they leaked air, they'd leak water.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If they leaked air, they'd leak water.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only problem  you might have is in the longer term if you are using the  PVC shut off  valves and opening  closing regularly because the rubber seal around the  neck of the valve handle would normally be "lubricated" by water. Operating them dry might eventually create air leaks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You may need a safety release valve in case of pressure build up. If you accidentally shut off manual valve while air pump is running, you will have compressed air inside the PVC pipe. Water is not compressible and cannot store energy in the same way that air can. When air is compressed inside of PVC piping, the pipe can swell and burst at a high pressure, sending PVC shrapnel outward, potentially injuring anyone within close range.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

The only problem  you might have is in the longer term if you are using the  PVC shut off  valves and opening  closing regularly because the rubber seal around the  neck of the valve handle would normally be "lubricated" by water. Operating them dry might eventually create air leaks.

Yes good thought. I won't be using them, just a precaution. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carlyai said:

I'm going to pump air thru 20mm PVC 13.5 water pipe to my fish tanks. I'll be using some manual open/shut valves. Will the air leak thru or out of the valves? 

In other words, do the valves leak air?

If you use PP-R then the valves are better and it doesn’t get brittle with age allowing a shrapnel like burst.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is the maximum pressure your air pump achieve? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you use PP-R then the valves are better and it doesn’t get brittle with age allowing a shrapnel like burst.

Thanks. Just found this image of how I was going to connect the pump to the air feed. The air pump connects thru a black connector to the top PVP pipe, then fed via 4 switches to 4 20 mm pipes to the fish tanks.

Screenshot_20200806-112825.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Artisi said:

What is the maximum pressure your air pump achieve? 

Hi. I have 2 1000L water tanks and I calculated (long ago) I need 35/45 LPM to each tank (depending on fish stocking density). So I thought 1 air pump around 90 LPM.

 Lazada has Ataman HP-12000 @ 110 LPM and specs say 0.032/0.44 Max. MPa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Hi. I have 2 1000L water tanks and I calculated (long ago) I need 35/45 LPM to each tank (depending on fish stocking density). So I thought 1 air pump around 90 LPM.

 Lazada has Ataman HP-12000 @ 110 LPM and specs say 0.032/0.44 Max. MPa. 

Max pressure is therefore approx. 66 psi, sufficient to cause damage and injury if something was rupture/fail if the pipework / fittings can be at max pressure, you need either a pressure relief valve or arrange the system so as it cannot be completely pressurised, ie, have an open bypass somewhere in the system that cannot be closed off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Max pressure is therefore approx. 66 psi, sufficient to cause damage and injury if something was rupture/fail if the pipework / fittings can be at max pressure, you need either a pressure relief valve or arrange the system so as it cannot be completely pressurised, ie, have an open bypass somewhere in the system that cannot be closed off. 

Thanks. So a safety relief valve would be good. I was only going to use PVC 8.5 pipe because I have some left over, but it would be better to use PVC 13.5 and a safety relief valve. I'll Google the safety relief valve. What value relief valve would you suggest? Above 66 PSI?20200803_134421.thumb.jpg.d4ee140914cc05c646d965be7cca51c0.jpg

The air pumps to 4 separate pipes that feed 2 air tank inlets per fish tank. Probably going to say something stupid here, but does that mean the pressure per pipe is about 16 PSI?

From this pic you can just see the white fiberglass female connector, in the water tank sump, that the air pipe connects to. 2 connections per sump.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Thanks. So a safety relief valve would be good. I was only going to use PVC 8.5 pipe because I have some left over, but it would be better to use PVC 13.5 and a safety relief valve. I'll Google the safety relief valve. What value relief valve would you suggest? Above 66 PSI?20200803_134421.thumb.jpg.d4ee140914cc05c646d965be7cca51c0.jpg

The air pumps to 4 separate pipes that feed 2 air tank inlets per fish tank. Probably going to say something stupid here, but does that mean the pressure per pipe is about 16 PSI?

From this pic you can just see the white fiberglass female connector, in the water tank sump, that the air pipe connects to. 2 connections per sump.

 

The pressure that ever it is will be the same in each pipe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you use PP-R then the valves are better and it doesn’t get brittle with age allowing a shrapnel like burst.

Thanks again @sometimewoodworker

I will revisit this and see if I can switch to these fittings. Seems like using PVC Pipe is the wrong way to go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2020 at 11:58 AM, carlyai said:

Lazada has Ataman HP-12000 @ 110 LPM and specs say 0.032/0.44 Max. MPa. 

I was interested to know why a fish tank air pump would be making 60+ psi.

Maybe my results are incorrect.

 

ap-344.jpg.608b19efacf9a97d7e9604bc30dcb708.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...