2 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

Yes, that is the bag that costs 90 baht. I called it Lime, but the real name is Dolomite. Does a great job. 

There are three different limes all predominately calcium carbonate. Lime (pure), Dolomite and Gypsum that have additional elements.

If you have a lot, the little ones not the huge ones,  collect them blanch them in a large pot and sell in the local market. You can make a few baht extra.

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, jvs said:

Snail problem?No problem ,try this it really works.

Fill a deep plate with beer,yes beer and the next morning you will see a lot of dead snails.

And after you have tried this you will be amazed at how many snails are attracted to beer!

If you have a larger garden you can place a few more plates or bowls .

(I am not responsible for any alcoholics climbing over your fence at night and drink it.)

If it does not work i will buy you a new beer.

Now that is a real old fashioned way, remember my Dad doing this in London back in the 40's.
It seemed to work though.
Not sure how a bird would feel chomping on some 'dead' drunk snails, perhaps couldn't get in the air for a while.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:
6 hours ago, jvs said:

Fill a deep plate with beer,yes beer and the next morning you will see a lot of dead snails.

And after you have tried this you will be amazed at how many snails are attracted to beer!

(I am not responsible for any alcoholics climbing over your fence at night and drink it.)

Now that is a real old fashioned way, remember my Dad doing this in London back in the 40's.
It seemed to work though.
Not sure how a bird would feel chomping on some 'dead' drunk snails, perhaps couldn't get in the air for a while.

Now I know why there were about 20 pigeons picking on my lawn when I woke up, and why all snails were climbing the perimeter wall lol.

6 hours ago, jvs said:

Beer traps work well with slugs ,so should work with snails ,

I prefer beer Sing ,best of a bad bunch, not certain if snails will like it.

OP... Why do you want to get rid of the snails if they are not doing any harm?

They do not eat or destroy lawns. 

I would feel happier with a bunch of snails on the wall than spending time in my garden that was covered in toxic snail killer chemicals. 

Please do not use snail / slug killer pellets. Many birds and other wild animals may eat it and die.

We gat the native small brown snails and they do zero damage to any plants in the garden. However, the large African land snails are an invasive species and they do eat some of our plants. These I collect in a bucket and feed to the neighbours flock of ducks. 

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 10:06 AM, Michael Hare said:

Yes, that is the bag that costs 90 baht. I called it Lime, but the real name is Dolomite. Does a great job. 

I have spread 75 kg of dolomite over ~800 sqm of lawn, and it seems not to have made an improvement. In fact, I now also get slugs.

The other night I looked on top of my perimeter wall, and it was full of the slimy things, so I think they actually come from the neighbours farm land.

Any more drastic solution to this?

2 minutes ago, Susco said:

I have spread 75 kg of dolomite over ~800 sqm of lawn, and it seems not to have made an improvement. In fact, I now also get slugs.

The other night I looked on top of my perimeter wall, and it was full of the slimy things, so I think they actually come from the neighbours farm land.

Any more drastic solution to this?

Try the beer,it works!

9 minutes ago, jvs said:

Try the beer,it works!

I believe that it will work for small areas, but how about larger ones?

I reckon they come from 2 sides, so that mean about 70 linear meters of wall I have to cover.

Would I need a full keg for that?

18 minutes ago, Susco said:

I believe that it will work for small areas, but how about larger ones?

I reckon they come from 2 sides, so that mean about 70 linear meters of wall I have to cover.

Would I need a full keg for that?

Just try a few about 5 meters apart,i small bottle should be enough to try?