BANGKOK

Just a heads up for fellow distance swimmers, if there are any in this forum.

I went swimming off the coast in Ranode District yesterday, and it turned out to be one of the worst in my life.

It was around 5:30pm and the first thing I noticed when I got in were tons of tiny shrimp everywhere...jumping out of the water and onto me. [My initial thought was 'I wish I had a net!']

Then the nose bridge of my goggles broke, so I started to walk back through the sand to get my backup pair.

I was only in a few feet of water when a tentacle hit both my ankles.

For a few hours last night it felt like I had had electric wires pulsing where I got hit, and I still have some residual pain this morning. 

I have been swimming Gulf Coast beaches for the past seven years and this is the worst I have ever had in that period.

I am not sure if this is just a local thing, but just wanted to share because I think conditions up and down the coast tend to be pretty much the same.

It'll probably be a while before I go back in up here....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is exactly why I don’t swim without good visibility. Only clear ocean water. I’m always scanning for jellyfish and sharks. If I’m at pattaya/hua hin. It’s the pool life for me.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 8:56 AM, lust said:

This is exactly why I don’t swim without good visibility. Only clear ocean water. I’m always scanning for jellyfish and sharks. If I’m at pattaya/hua hin. It’s the pool life for me.

To each his own...

I have developed a little network of local people who live/work by the beach, and I am informed that the jellyfish are still there aplenty a month later. This applies only to Ranode District.