Why are people staying in Thailand when then can't meet TI's financial requirements?

Boomer6969

1 minute ago, transam said:

I am one of your unsuccessful chaps, but I can afford a spell checker...????

Thanks but keyboarding is not one of my essential skills. My correspondence was usually dictated to my secretary. Thanks for helping out, but balancing my bank account is easy.

1 minute ago, checkered flag said:

Thanks but keyboarding is not one of my essential skills. My correspondence was usually dictated to my secretary. Thanks for helping out, but balancing my bank account is easy.

I reckon your trolling, nice try but, naaaaaaaaah....????

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Falconator said:

Which means it's better for retired Europeans with pre-existing conditions to retire in Europe?

If you have health insurance here, but, find out you are not covered for a resurgent precondition, then there is only two solutions that I can see:-

Either cough up the cash, or, fly home.

Unfortunately, sometimes flying home is not an option.

If neither is an option, then you are stuffed, so, yes; better retire in your own country if you are unable to cover your costs.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

I reckon your trolling, nice try but, naaaaaaaaah....????

I always had a secretary or administrative assistant in my work position. In retirement I have to do it myself. I always treated them with respect and consideration. They were very skilled and could type 90-100 words/minute (error free). 

I'm a big guy with large hands that can make keyboarding a challenge. 

There must be dozens of reasons as to why Farangs can no more fulfill the financial requirements. Exchange rates, health issues (etc etc) may have arisen. Basically "act's of God".

But one category of Farangs I do not understand:
- Having gone thru a costly divorce back home. Arriving in Thailand with less funds than before.
But still unable to resist the urge to marry a Thai-Lady. Gladly paying for her kids from a previous marriage and keeping the Thai-Family happy. Possibly even producing new offspring at his advanced age.
And then wondering when the day comes, where they can no more fulfill the financial requirements to stay legally in Thailand. I fail to see the benefits of this form of "life-planning" by elderly Farangs, always assuming that they must have aquired a minimum amount of "life-experience" over the years.
Leaving ones brain at the airport is one thing, but also leaving the rest of Common Sense at the airport as well??

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Thailand is their place of residence, but not their home. Your home is where your passport says your from. If you have a Thai passport or ID you're Thai. If not you're a guest like me. 

Absolutely the way it is. Just because I paid for 2 homes here in Thailand, have a kid here doesn't mean this is my home. I may have a feeling of it being my home but feelings are made to be broken.

16 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

No, it isn't.

Why are people staying in Thailand when then can't meet TI's financial requirements? is the topic.

So the answer could be that they like the weather or entertainment or that they have a family to support etc

It's just you and a couple of others who have used it as a vehicle to try to boast about what you have.

Sorry to offend, but my response was to those who claim wealth at home but don't want to meet their financial responsibilities here. This includes sufficient cash in a Thai bank or monthly transfer from overseas. Why would Thailand want to take on the potential burden of supporting non Thais. 

I think many who have been doing 30 or 90 border bumps are worried. They report, they don't have cash assets but not enough to meet the requirements. I too have sufficient assets but I also keep sufficient cash for emergencies and/or Thai Immigration. I try my best to meet my responsibilities and stay within the law. I don't feel entitled to more.

The weather in Thailand is mostly better than the UK, parts of Northern Europe or North America.  So I agree with you. I'm not sure what you mean regarding entertainment though. To each his own, I guess. Having a family to support is serious but could also be done from abroad, or that them with you. It can be done because in the 70s my friend took his son and 5 adopted (wife's children) to the US after working ~10 years in Thailand. He struggled at first but crawled out of it. Now retired and the six children are all successful professional. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Sorry to offend, but my response was to those who claim wealth at home but don't want to meet their financial responsibilities here. This includes sufficient cash in a Thai bank or monthly transfer from overseas. Why would Thailand want to take on the potential burden of supporting non Thais. 

I think many who have been doing 30 or 90 border bumps are worried. They report, they don't have cash assets but not enough to meet the requirements. I too have sufficient assets but I also keep sufficient cash for emergencies and/or Thai Immigration. I try my best to meet my responsibilities and stay within the law. I don't feel entitled to more.

The weather in Thailand is mostly better than the UK, parts of Northern Europe or North America.  So I agree with you. I'm not sure what you mean regarding entertainment though. To each his own, I guess. Having a family to support is serious but could also be done from abroad, or that them with you. It can be done because in the 70s my friend took his son and 5 adopted (wife's children) to the US after working ~10 years in Thailand. He struggled at first but crawled out of it. Now retired and the six children are all successful professional. 

If I am able to get a legal visa through an agent, why would you care? Everyone is happy, except for a few foreigners. Not being able to leave Thailand and return is forcing some of us to retain the services of an agent.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, checkered flag said:

I always had a secretary or administrative assistant in my work position. In retirement I have to do it myself. I always treated them with respect and consideration. They were very skilled and could type 90-100 words/minute (error free). 

I'm a big guy with large hands that can make keyboarding a challenge. 

a secretary or admin assistant? i used to have 10,000 people under me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Agents will be doing a bang up business, the envelopes will keep flowing to IO's and everyone is happy. Well except for a few farang who thinks we are a burden on Thai citizens.

I assume the cost of doing business will go up and the envelops will be fuller. Just my assumption as I don't use agents.

6 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

If I am able to get a legal visa through an agent, why would you care? Everyone is happy, except for a few foreigners. Not being able to leave Thailand and return is forcing some of us to retain the services of an agent.

It's not a concern of mine, but I bet the cost of service will increase. It's like supply and demand. I do feel it's sad that some must resort to using an agent when it's very easy to meet the requirements.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

It's not a concern of mine, but I bet the cost of service will increase. It's like supply and demand. I do feel it's sad that some must resort to using an agent when it's very easy to meet the requirements.

Why would you feel sad? Folks use agents for a wide variety of reasons, only stands to reason the agents will charge more as the workload increases. Business 101. 

10 hours ago, swissie said:

But still unable to resist the urge to marry a Thai-Lady. Gladly paying for her kids from a previous marriage and keeping the Thai-Family happy. Possibly even producing new offspring at his advanced age.
And then wondering when the day comes, where they can no more fulfill the financial requirements to stay legally in Thailand. I fail to see the benefits of this form of "life-planning" by elderly Farangs, always assuming that they must have aquired a minimum amount of "life-experience" over the years.

Most of us have pensions.

How we spend them doesn't affect the immigration income requirements.

In fact, if we get married/have kids the income requirements are reduced.

On 8/6/2020 at 7:36 PM, BritManToo said:

Nah, he's paying way too much for the wine cooler.

32bht in the nearest shop, 28bht up the road a bit.

I always take a couple of bottles along to the local short-time hotel, as the drinks in the fridge are way too expensive.

Arctic room earlier today ......... 240bht for 2hrs.

IMG_20200806_113207.jpg

Now. imagine taking a blacklight into that room!

What ever you pay for it, it is definitely TOO much. ????

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2020 at 6:13 PM, sencelebi said:

They stay here because they can not survive in their own country with the income they have or don't have. And what's funny about it is these people bitch about Thailand,Thai government and Thai people all they long at the social media. They know everything better than the Thai government. These idiots don't turn around and look at their own country. I hope Thai government stops border runs and any other stupid things not to keep these low life people in Thailand.

not sure what country your from, but anyone can afford to live in the UK

If they have a pension, then they get top up credits, they get housing allowance, rate rebates, heating allowances, etc, etc

As a pensionerI would be better off financially in the UK than here, but much prefer to live here with my lady in the warmth 

2 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

not sure what country your from, but anyone can afford to live in the UK

If they have a pension, then they get top up credits, they get housing allowance, rate rebates, heating allowances, etc, etc

As a pensionerI would be better off financially in the UK than here, but much prefer to live here with my lady in the warmth 

I knew many pensioners back in the UK.

Many of them appeared to be living a hard and desperate life.

Having to choose between eating and heating in the winter.

Maybe It's got better than when I was there in 2009 ...... but I doubt it.

As a homeless male pensioner, you'd be living in a room in a guesthouse filled by Islamic refugees.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Why would you feel sad? Folks use agents for a wide variety of reasons, only stands to reason the agents will charge more as the workload increases. Business 101. 

I guess in some places Thai Immigration is very busy and it becomes difficult to apply in person. However, those that use agents because they can't meet the financial requirements are skating on the thin edge so to speak. That's not a healthy place to be. After all the money in the bank for married people is only B400K for 2 months and can be withdrawn after approval (another month). Even upcountry that's not a huge amount.

9 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

I guess in some places Thai Immigration is very busy and it becomes difficult to apply in person. However, those that use agents because they can't meet the financial requirements are skating on the thin edge so to speak. That's not a healthy place to be. After all the money in the bank for married people is only B400K for 2 months and can be withdrawn after approval (another month). Even upcountry that's not a huge amount.

I only care about myself and mine.