Why are people staying in Thailand when then can't meet TI's financial requirements?

Boomer6969

28 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

not sure what country your from, but anyone can afford to live in the UK

If they have a pension, then they get top up credits, they get housing allowance, rate rebates, heating allowances, etc, etc

As a pensionerI would be better off financially in the UK than here, but much prefer to live here with my lady in the warmth 

Good, but you still must meet the Thai Immigration rules regarding financials. Most of the comments here are about their difficulties meeting the Thai Immigration rules. No one is entitled to live here and not meet the rules.

I'm sure if I went to the UK there would be no freebees or handouts for me and there are non in Thailand. Some people need to consider going home if Thai rules are too hard for them. 

The cost for a foreigner living in Thailand is reasonable but not free. The rules are meant (IMO) to assure foreigners have adequate resources.

8 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Good, but you still must meet the Thai Immigration rules regarding financials. Most of the comments here are about their difficulties meeting the Thai Immigration rules. No one is entitled to live here and not meet the rules.

I'm sure if I went to the UK there would be no freebees or handouts for me and there are non in Thailand. Some people need to consider going home if Thai rules are too hard for them. 

The cost for a foreigner living in Thailand is reasonable but not free. The rules are meant (IMO) to assure foreigners have adequate resources.

5 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Burden of supporting non Thais ?

I am one of those who have both money in Thai bank, and money in UK bank, but refuse to lock up 800,00 in a thai bank that i cannot access, or transfer out easily

When the money had to be shown for extension, but then spent on living expenses, i had no bother with, but why would anyone tie up around 20,00 uk pounds in a foreign bank that you cannot spend

If i have the need to top up my Thai bank, i simply transfer over, just like i would if i had any type of emergency, but not everyone can do this. If they allowed us to access the money in the Thai bank for living expenses, then i'm sure more people would meet these requirement, but until then, i will gladly pay my 12,000 baht to an agent and keep MY money where i want it.

While many people, like some of my friends, do not have the 800,00 , they still contribute to the country by spending their 30,00 a month pensions in the shops and bars, most have built houses, bought cars and bikes, so kept people employed and contributed to the economy While they may not be rich, or meet the requirements, they are certainly not a burden on society

And as for medical costs, use a Thai hospital, which is certainly not expensive.  Had many x rays, heart checks, blood tests, and then given a large bag of various tablets to take, the cost was a whopping 640 baht !

I don't live on that low of an amount. However living here is quite reasonable esp healthcare.

• Haha 1

Those who covertly boast of having money here are kidding themselves. A few mill wont be worth Duck All by the time their 75. Its income You need, not from Pension but sound investments. i have too many nice old chums here who cant afford much more than a basic lifestyle yet they were stars 20 years ago. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pineapple01 said:

Those who covertly boast of having money here are kidding themselves. A few mill wont be worth Duck All by the time their 75. Its income You need, not from Pension but sound investments. i have too many nice old chums here who cant afford much more than a basic lifestyle yet they were stars 20 years ago. 

Both are important, but I lucky that my basic US SS pension far exceeds the required monthly amount. I also could meet requirements easily with money in my account. Got to have long term plans, but most will probably go to my son and daughter some day. 

this one deserves a comment, first because people do what the he11 they want. Secondly what is your problem OP, if you hate it pick your forks and knives and go hunt them all.

I will not offend you because they will block me again ????

16 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

If you have health insurance here, but, find out you are not covered for a resurgent precondition, then there is only two solutions that I can see:-

Either cough up the cash, or, fly home.

Unfortunately, sometimes flying home is not an option.

If neither is an option, then you are stuffed, so, yes; better retire in your own country if you are unable to cover your costs.

If you can't afford a flight home, most embassies have repatriation loans. They probably keep your passport though until the loan is paid in full. 

10 minutes ago, A512 said:

this one deserves a comment, first because people do what the he11 they want. Secondly what is your problem OP, if you hate it pick your forks and knives and go hunt them all.

I will not offend you because they will block me again ????

No problem. Have you ever hear the comment "no money no honey" . You aren't entitled to any more. Thailand doesn't have foreign entitlements the last I checked. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

If you can't afford a flight home, most embassies have repatriation loans. They probably keep your passport though until the loan is paid in full. 

That is not what I meant. You might not be able to fly home due to a road accident, stroke or heart attack.

If you're obviously sick, the captain of your homeward bound flight has to give his permission. If he deems the risk too high, you can't fly unless you have a doctor's letter saying "fit to fly".

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

That is not what I meant. You might not be able to fly home due to a road accident, stroke or heart attack.

If you're obviously sick, the captain of your homeward bound flight has to give his permission. If he deems the risk too high, you can't fly unless you have a doctor's letter saying "fit to fly".

Thanks, I didn't know about that. Does the UK embassy offer any assistance or repationation options?

5 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Thanks, I didn't know about that. Does the UK embassy offer any assistance or repationation options?

As far as I know, no.

The only way is to charter an air ambulance with on board medical staff. The cost would be astronomical.

All these people that think they can just go to India for cheap surgery, never seem to take into account that they may not be able to fly there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

Burden of supporting non Thais ?

And as for medical costs, use a Thai hospital, which is certainly not expensive.  Had many x rays, heart checks, blood tests, and then given a large bag of various tablets to take, the cost was a whopping 640 baht !

Interesting how you answer your own question there. By just paying a token amount for medical services destined to and priced for local you are indeed a burden. Fortunately most government hospitals get their act together these days. Not that I support two tier pricing; there should be a single rate reflecting the true value of services provided, with a refund through the various health covers, one of which you should have. "Self insure" if you reckon that's clever.

1 hour ago, Boomer6969 said:

Interesting how you answer your own question there. By just paying a token amount for medical services destined to and priced for local you are indeed a burden. Fortunately most government hospitals get their act together these days. Not that I support two tier pricing; there should be a single rate reflecting the true value of services provided, with a refund through the various health covers, one of which you should have. "Self insure" if you reckon that's clever.

The locals are priced at ZERObht (sometimes 30bht).

If you pay more than that, as a private patient in a government hospital, you're covering their costs if not making a profit.

2 hours ago, checkered flag said:

No problem. Have you ever hear the comment "no money no honey" . You aren't entitled to any more. Thailand doesn't have foreign entitlements the last I checked. 

But it does have some tools..........????

21 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

What I don't like in your post is that you seem to believe that there is a causal link between the tough situation of some expats and the existence of the corrupt agent system. This situation allows corrupt IOs to get rich illegally on the back of people who are in dire straights.

It would be much more effective and humane to enforce, strictly all requirement for a few probation years and then, very officially show more leniency to those who have made Thailand their home. In fact the core issue could be the fact that Permanent Residency is only available to those who work or invest in Thailand, even though some of those eligible may earn less than the better off retirees.

I wasn't condoning the situation. Simply explaining why some might choose to go down the route of using an agent. 

The conceited and/or bitter seem to want people to go home simply because they may no longer reach the threshold. Perhaps through no fault of their own(exchange rates for instance). Added to that, they may have assets worth millions in the country and be more than able to sustain themselves.

But certain characters want to feel that they are above them. That they are exclusive and proud of it.

With nasty comments mentioning Walmart. Money only exacerbates the true character of some.

Personally, it's nice to be able to live comfortably and to be able to alleviate the suffering of others. So I don't understand why someone in a similar position would be so uncharitable, whilst claiming to be the opposite. Most unsavoury. 

21 hours ago, Falconator said:

Free healthcare in Eindhoven? Sign me up!

Wait, but your taxes pay for that too, so it's not actually free.

Another erroneous assumption on your part. Seems it is your forte, with checkered flag somewhat desperately agreeing with anything you write, however ridiculous.

Do you think that the member; checkered flag, is actually a chequered flag? Sad and funny at the same time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Successful people shouldn't have problem, but those who are unsuccessful do. 

Wow...another who likes to state the obvious.

How is success measured? Only in absolute terms of monetary currency?

Is someone who has a retirement income of 64,000 baht per month and a house wholly owned by himself on leased land unsuccessful?

Is the USA where you were born? Your grasp of English appears to be somewhat erratic.

So perhaps you did well out of the USA. Why did you not stay there? Perhaps because you would be a nothing there whereas here you can pretend to be something?

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2020 at 7:25 PM, Boomer6969 said:

There is a very active thread about a busted agent where some people are trading insults which lead me to reflect on people's motivation to stay in LOS: if you can't afford a legit visa you can afford bar girls either, so why do you stay here?

This suggests the OP can't persuade a bar girl to go with him even though he has the money and wants to thin out what little remaining competition there is.

Edited by trucking
Spelling

24 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Nonsense...

Naivety is cute. Just because one ties up all his money in a country where he pays for a home in someone else name and gets caught up in visa problems, calling this your home will matter not a bit. I have invested alot here myself, both money and emotions, I get it, you feel like this is home. But, it's not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Absolutely the way it is. Just because I paid for 2 homes here in Thailand, have a kid here doesn't mean this is my home. I may have a feeling of it being my home but feelings are made to be broken.

So Serbia is Yingluck's home and her brother Thaksin, Montenegro? Clearly not absolutely or even nearly. Home is where the heart is, remember?

• Confused 1