Why are people staying in Thailand when then can't meet TI's financial requirements?

Boomer6969

5 hours ago, transam said:

Oh, so now the Brits are the problem and you come from the land of well off blokes.

Chummy, look, we all have lived different lives with different outcomes, which can and does lead to different ways of life, plus perhaps being adventurous, you know, not hanging on to mums apron strings.

For sure things may go wrong, there's a lot of things that can go wrong with anything, even you, unless you are the second coming.

I would suggest you carry on with the way you want to live and let others do the same, live their own life.

PS. You have posted some well out of order stuff on this thread because you think you are better than most. Shame really....????

Unlike you, I try to stay on the subject. The subject is, "why are people staying when they can't meet TI requirements..." No problem where you come from as long as you meet the requirement. Pretty easy for most IMO.

1 hour ago, checkered flag said:

Unlike you, I try to stay on the subject. The subject is, "why are people staying when they can't meet TI requirements..." No problem where you come from as long as you meet the requirement. Pretty easy for most IMO.

Riddle me this - If you knew someone used an agent because they couldn't qualify otherwise, would you turn them in or try to?

1 hour ago, checkered flag said:

Very true, but we're talking about not meeting the requirements. 

You appeared in your post to allude that using agents was synonymous with "not meeting the requirements".

15 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Me off topic, you posted something like....

"you feel sorry for families for the failure of a bloke not having the cash for a visa".....

Is that on topic, you're now a family counsellor eh......????

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Me off topic, you posted something like....

"you feel sorry for families for the failure of a bloke not having the cash for a visa".....

Is that on topic, you're now a family counsellor eh......????

What's with the quote? Why put it in quotes if it's not what I wrote? 

13 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

You appeared in your post to allude that using agents was synonymous with "not meeting the requirements".

No problem using agents if you want to. There are still financial requirements either met by yourself or your agent. The requirements esp for married people are very low. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

What's with the quote? Why put it in quotes if it's not what I wrote? 

You will see I wrote "something like", but just for the readers, here is what you actually wrote, post #397...????

PS. I am still trying to work out who you were....????

Edited by transam

On 8/13/2020 at 2:48 PM, checkered flag said:

In another post you said you had left Thailand, but I guess your heart is still here. Look around to see if things are better at home, so can appreciate Thainess if you return.

No country in the world that I have lived in is "better" than LOS. The shame is that so many farangs complain about the BS and can't see how great it can be.

If nothing else, being hot all the time and being able to see DDG girls in their short shorts and T shirts makes it better. Obviously, many other things as well.

IMO PC is making the western world vanish up where the sun don't shine, and fun is frowned on. I never see happy people any more.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, checkered flag said:

Rubbish. Chiang Mai imm. made up new regulations every year that had no basis in reality ie black pen one year, blue pen next and changed the sort of photo required for no discernable reason. No reasonable person can comply with such stupidity variables without becoming frustrated. I paid an agent just to save my mind.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, checkered flag said:

TI requirement is 25kbht to an agent.

I'd be happy to comply with the real government regulations, if only they would let me.

I actually prefer the Non-Os from another country as their hand isn't out for a bribe every time.

Edited by BritManToo

52 minutes ago, transam said:

You will see I wrote "something like", but just for the readers, here is what you actually wrote, post #397...????

PS. I am still trying to work out who you were....????

However putting it in direct quotes makes it incorrect. I don't know what "bloke" means to you but In American English it can be a derogatory term and I would use it. I simply feel sorry for people who can't meet the financial obligation but I don't look down on them.

Like you, I don't broadcast who I am because some here seem vindictive. However, fear has never been a problem. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Rubbish. Chiang Mai imm. made up new regulations every year that had no basis in reality ie black pen one year, blue pen next and changed the sort of photo required for no discernable reason. No reasonable person can comply with such stupidity variables without becoming frustrated. I paid an agent just to save my mind.

The blue pen was so that its clear its not a photocopy and written in ink by a person (not photocopied) and the change of photo requirements were probably so the photo conforms to photo recognising machines .

I do agree though that Immi prefer you to use agents , easier for everyone  

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

The blue pen was so that its clear its not a photocopy and written in ink by a person (not photocopied) and the change of photo requirements were probably so the photo conforms to photo recognising machines .

Some people can do it because they are organized and know how to do it, others need and agent. Some need an agent because of lack of financials.

I've never found it difficult to do. I can speak to the TI offices in Thai or English. Sometimes they ask about translations if they are unsure. They do prefer to talk with you in Thai, though.

Some people complain about the IO but forget about how things are at a home. I found that immigration in the US impossible to deal with.

28 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

However putting it in direct quotes makes it incorrect. I don't know what "bloke" means to you but In American English it can be a derogatory term and I would use it. I simply feel sorry for people who can't meet the financial obligation but I don't look down on them.

Like you, I don't broadcast who I am because some here seem vindictive. However, fear has never been a problem. 

That is not what you have been implying in your posts, wriggle if you want.....????

I am not American but I know what Guy means. Google will help you, or even your well off friends......????

22 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Some people can do it because they are organized and know how to do it, others need and agent. Some need an agent because of lack of financials.

I've never found it difficult to do. I can speak to the TI offices in Thai or English. Sometimes they ask about translations if they are unsure. They do prefer to talk with you in Thai, though.

Some people complain about the IO but forget about how things are at a home. I found that immigration in the US impossible to deal with.

I am not surprised............????

23 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

I used a photocopy for years so I didn't have to fill out a new form each time. Never bothered them till they decided it did. Since they can accept either photo if they want to ( except when they want to be difficult ) I doubt it matters re machine recognition. Also they don't scan the document- they enter the details on it into the computer, and the digital photo is the one THEY take, not the one on the bit of paper.

23 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I used a photocopy for years so I didn't have to fill out a new form each time. Never bothered them till they decided it did. Since they can accept either photo if they want to ( except when they want to be difficult ) I doubt it matters re machine recognition. Also they don't scan the document- they enter the details on it into the computer, and the digital photo is the one THEY take, not the one on the bit of paper.

YOU were the reason why they made people fill the forms out in blue ink, because YOU didnt fill out the forms in ink, you just kept photo copying the same form and handing that one in .

They wanted an original form, NOT a photo copied form 

It may ne an annoyance to fill out the forms, but it only takes a few minutes , 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

YOU were the reason why they made people fill the forms out in blue ink, because YOU didnt fill out the forms in ink, you just kept photo copying the same form and handing that one in .

They wanted an original form, NOT a photo copied form 

It may ne an annoyance to fill out the forms, but it only takes a few minutes , 

See who said the actions of one person cannot change things ??????

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In America? It's never been derogatory in any English speaking country I've been in, but I've fortunately never been to the USA except in transit.

It's derogatory to guys who distinguish themselves from the man on the Clapham omnibus. They are something special, which I'm sure they are; not part of the common brotherhood and sisterhood of mankind. You get the same problem with "mate". It's really a "tu" and "vous" thing.

On 8/6/2020 at 4:53 AM, bluebluewater said:

As for myself . . . 

I'm unwilling to put 25K USD (approx) and just let it sit there.  I have little faith in Thai banks.  It's probably easy enough to put the money in but to take that out of the county at some point I would not be so sure about and I'm not even going to try to find out.

It does not cost me 65K baht to live here so why in the world would I want to bring that much in every month.  I live quite well for far less than that IMO.

For me it's an easy decision to pay an agent $600 USD and it's done and dusted for the year.

May I ask what is involved, what services are performed for $600 for visa? My wife is Thai and we will move there in the future, so perhaps this may or may not be a necessary way to get and maintain a visa.

3 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Oh dear.....let's hope you get better after your quadruple sense of humour bypass operation, but, I fear it might be too late for you.

Was the humour bypass done along with the charisma bypass?

Edited by RJRS1301

5 hours ago, transam said:

What a load......So now English is really American...........????

If it is, it's because you can't manage to spell English words properly....????

Most spell checkers offer a choice or American English or other. American English is the more common choice.

• Haha 2

On 8/7/2020 at 8:22 AM, Max69xl said:

The requirement for a retiree from the US,UK and Australia is at least 65,000 baht/month if they use the monthly income method. That's a lot of money. Maybe they "only" have 40,000 baht/month. Thats still an ok sum for an expat. 

You might think it is ok until you have an accident or major hospital bill, then what?

On 8/7/2020 at 9:13 AM, Eindhoven said:

Of course you are not sorry. No need to attempt to insult my intelligence. There was absolutely no reason to write about Mercedes and Volvo Turbo, other than conceit.

Of course you make a big deal about giving. You have mentioned it twice on this thread alone.

As to your last sentence. That is just your opinion and it's really none of your business. Why concern yourself with it? 

Since you claim that you are such a giving person, why aren't you helping your fellows instead of condemning them for not having as much as you?

More disgusted than offended truth be known.

What if the fellow has invested millions in a home, but has an income of 60,000 baht per month?

He has to go back to his former home country? Idiocy.

His cars might have been 20+ years old.

People that always brag what they have, usually never have anything.

• Thanks 1

On 8/7/2020 at 10:44 AM, Falconator said:

Two options:

Pay health insurance costs of nearly $10,000 per year in the US

Pay health insurance costs of $2,000 per year in Thailand

You have a job where the company pays your health insurance

You are of age and get medicare

On 8/7/2020 at 8:46 PM, checkered flag said:

The point of this tread wasn't my personal finances, but why people stay here when they can't meet their financial responsibilities. That includes paying their own way and meeting legal immigration requirements. Thailand has enough poor people without adding poor foreigners to that mix. The country, rightfully, is looking for those who make a positive contribution to society, not merely trying to exist. You don't need to be a big spender but need to make a positive contribution to the economy. In other words the Thai economy must be better because you are here. 

Although I'm always respectful to everyone, most of my Thai friends are professional and middle income. I take my clues from them and see them as generous caring people. 

I feel sorry for those who could meet their immigration responsibilities, but can no longer due to  the stronger baht. I can remember when the exchange rate was in the 20-23 range so it could be worse. They we cutting things too close, so money in the bank is the only option. Unfortunately, having assets like cars and houses don't count.

You are dead wrong.

The country is not looking for expats, maybe multi-millionaires and above?

But not you.

You don't even get it. All the expats in Thailand contribute <1% of the GDP.

The Thai economy is not going to be better because your are there with your small financial input.

The Thai government could care less, even to the point they won't let married folks back home to be with their families.

Never think you are contributing anything because in reality, you are not helping Thailand one bit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1