BANGKOK
Boomer6969

Why are people staying in Thailand when then can't meet TI's financial requirements?

1 minute ago, transam said:

I am one of your unsuccessful chaps, but I can afford a spell checker...😂

Thanks but keyboarding is not one of my essential skills. My correspondence was usually dictated to my secretary. Thanks for helping out, but balancing my bank account is easy.

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Are you all in a money club or something, or do you vet their finances first...?  🤒

Are you looking for one to join? 

1 minute ago, checkered flag said:

Thanks but keyboarding is not one of my essential skills. My correspondence was usually dictated to my secretary. Thanks for helping out, but balancing my bank account is easy.

I reckon your trolling, nice try but, naaaaaaaaah....😂

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, checkered flag said:

Are you looking for one to join? 

I asked you a question, surely a successful bloke like yourself can do that, I don't mind your errors...😊

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Falconator said:

Which means it's better for retired Europeans with pre-existing conditions to retire in Europe?

If you have health insurance here, but, find out you are not covered for a resurgent precondition, then there is only two solutions that I can see:-

Either cough up the cash, or, fly home.

Unfortunately, sometimes flying home is not an option.

If neither is an option, then you are stuffed, so, yes; better retire in your own country if you are unable to cover your costs.

• Sad 1

Agents will be doing a bang up business, the envelopes will keep flowing to IO's and everyone is happy. Well except for a few farang who thinks we are a burden on Thai citizens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

I think that should  be "you are " or "you're" but never mind. 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I think that should  be "you are " or "you're" but never mind. 😂

A good spell checker should have caught that. 

1 hour ago, transam said:

I always had a secretary or administrative assistant in my work position. In retirement I have to do it myself. I always treated them with respect and consideration. They were very skilled and could type 90-100 words/minute (error free). 

I'm a big guy with large hands that can make keyboarding a challenge. 

There must be dozens of reasons as to why Farangs can no more fulfill the financial requirements. Exchange rates, health issues (etc etc) may have arisen. Basically "act's of God".

But one category of Farangs I do not understand:
- Having gone thru a costly divorce back home. Arriving in Thailand with less funds than before.
But still unable to resist the urge to marry a Thai-Lady. Gladly paying for her kids from a previous marriage and keeping the Thai-Family happy. Possibly even producing new offspring at his advanced age.
And then wondering when the day comes, where they can no more fulfill the financial requirements to stay legally in Thailand. I fail to see the benefits of this form of "life-planning" by elderly Farangs, always assuming that they must have aquired a minimum amount of "life-experience" over the years.
Leaving ones brain at the airport is one thing, but also leaving the rest of Common Sense at the airport as well??

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

What if Thailand is their home?

Thailand is their place of residence, but not their home. Your home is where your passport says your from. If you have a Thai passport or ID you're Thai. If not you're a guest like me. 

11 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Thailand is their place of residence, but not their home. Your home is where your passport says your from. If you have a Thai passport or ID you're Thai. If not you're a guest like me. 

Absolutely the way it is. Just because I paid for 2 homes here in Thailand, have a kid here doesn't mean this is my home. I may have a feeling of it being my home but feelings are made to be broken.

16 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

No, it isn't.

Why are people staying in Thailand when then can't meet TI's financial requirements? is the topic.

So the answer could be that they like the weather or entertainment or that they have a family to support etc

It's just you and a couple of others who have used it as a vehicle to try to boast about what you have.

Sorry to offend, but my response was to those who claim wealth at home but don't want to meet their financial responsibilities here. This includes sufficient cash in a Thai bank or monthly transfer from overseas. Why would Thailand want to take on the potential burden of supporting non Thais. 

I think many who have been doing 30 or 90 border bumps are worried. They report, they don't have cash assets but not enough to meet the requirements. I too have sufficient assets but I also keep sufficient cash for emergencies and/or Thai Immigration. I try my best to meet my responsibilities and stay within the law. I don't feel entitled to more.

The weather in Thailand is mostly better than the UK, parts of Northern Europe or North America.  So I agree with you. I'm not sure what you mean regarding entertainment though. To each his own, I guess. Having a family to support is serious but could also be done from abroad, or that them with you. It can be done because in the 70s my friend took his son and 5 adopted (wife's children) to the US after working ~10 years in Thailand. He struggled at first but crawled out of it. Now retired and the six children are all successful professional. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, transam said:

Folk in prison probably don't like it, but for many it is their home....😋

Only if Thai, foreigners it where they reside. When the get out they are deported home.