Why are people staying in Thailand when then can't meet TI's financial requirements?

Boomer6969

30 minutes ago, JTXR said:
54 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And I'm pretty sure there are many millions back home who wouldn't keep that amount of money in the bank there either. Remember how many who were put out of work by the virus were claiming they could only survive for a month or two? So why Thailand demands it I have no idea.

Thais, whatever their income level, have an absolute right to live in Thailand due to their citizenship.  Foreigners don't.  Thailand doesn't much care at what level foreigners can survive, or what quality of life foreigners can accept, they simply want foreigners to bring in a significant amount of foreign exchange and either park it in a bank or spend it.  Not hard to understand.  Most countries have similar requirements.

Not too hard to understand, and I do. Why do you think I don't? And I understand it is my right and that of others not to have to do it, as has been the case with me for something like 26 years or so. At least they don't force it on us (there are alternatives). Yet. As to 'most countries', I'd question that.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Why are people staying in Thailand when then can't meet TI's financial requirements?

Could it maybe because the the financial requirements are very unfair? If a Thai person is living very comfortably on 15.000 Bt per month, why should a western person need to

have 40.000?

Absolutely agree. I can life very comfortably on 15,000, with just the odd extra expense like car insurance once a year. I have a four-bedroom house bought when the baht was in the toilet, (and yes, it is in my wife of 30 years name, as if that makes a difference), aircon, internet, IPTV, out for dinner once a week, a choice of Thai or western food when we don't dine out. I suppose if I lived in a big city and had to pay rent I might need closer to 40,000, but one size doesn't fit all. Except to the government.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2020 at 9:49 AM, Pilotman said:

Anecdotally, in many instances, the people involved do have the funds in their home country, but due to exchange rate losses, or funds being locked into long term investments, they  do not wish to transfer money to a Thai bank if they can avoid it. Also, if you are very much a temporary resident in Thailand and you don't plan or wish to commit yourself past 12 moths or so, you may go down that route. As I say, anecdotally.  

I would say ,they don't have the funds not even in their own country .

If they Had it they would've used it.

It isn't a fortune that one needs to have for a Extension.

I look at it this way, Make sure that you've got the money for any extension Before Coming to Los .

That's what I did ,Guess what It works for me .:jap:

I find it incredibly narrow-minded to insinuate that expats that live in Thailand are only here for bar girls. I believe most farang are not sexpats, but I will concede there are many that ARE here for that.

Edited by fordguy61mi
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Thailand is a bit of a poophole, if it weren't for cheap women women of lower expectations there's not much reason to come here. And yes I realise the usual sad and confused crowd will be upset, but they all seem to be living with a Thai woman, life in denial must be wonderful. Maybe I should replace 'cheap women' with 'women of lower expectations', but I expect they'd still be sad or confused.

I've never understood why the few odd western women wash up here, when they get to the stage where they're telling me they can't find the right man, I always excuse myself saying I have to meet my 20 year old Thai girlfriend.

Same for the schoolteachers, they could be earning decent money and a pension in their home countries, plenty of demand for schoolteachers in the west.

A lot of assumption in your posts formed by your life experiences. Just like you assume i am a woman.  Not everyone is the same as you and has different reasons for doing things.

Why you feel superior toward others is beyond me.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2020 at 10:04 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Some are choosing to use the visa money on bar girls instead .

Not a good option but the temptation is strong ????

Or just have a Thai woman which they love and need the income for both to live??? I think you are just plain silly putting all Farang in one pool.... Use your head! There are enough good willing Farang who do the right thing and have not the 400K but just a monthly Income which will do... 

They stay here because they can not survive in their own country with the income they have or don't have. And what's funny about it is these people bitch about Thailand,Thai government and Thai people all they long at the social media. They know everything better than the Thai government. These idiots don't turn around and look at their own country. I hope Thai government stops border runs and any other stupid things not to keep these low life people in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Read Kipling's Road to Mandalay; it's kind of dated, but I think it encapsulates the feeling that keeps a lot of people here. Personally, I've found the official requirements about right, on an expenditure basis, over 10+ years. No doubt some guys can live on less - your English teacher on 30,000bt a month springs to mind. God knows what these guys do when they retire. At least your average (UK) retiree has some sort of guaranteed income, even though it may fall below the official requirements.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:25 AM, Boomer6969 said:

if you can't afford a legit visa you can afford bar girls either, so why do you stay here?

Not everybody moves here to hang out in bars with prostitutes every night - that's more a tourist thing. After being here a while its fairly easy to meet someone who's not on the game - presuming you have social skills and are not fat and ugly.

3 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

100 percent correct. Why would go through all the bul#s^it, when I can pay a agent , spend 10 minutes in his office, and pretty much be guaranteed a visa. Like others here, have the money over 10 fold to do it right, but don't want the hassle. Sounds like you need to get a part time job for couple years to even afford a ticket here. 

This sort of post makes one wonder why people throw away 500.000Baht on an Elite Visa.

5 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

Name any other country on earth--including these people's home countries--that would allow people who don't obey immigration laws to live there? Or who don't view the people who break those laws as criminals?

the uk.hopefully this will change once we,re out the eu.

2 hours ago, Kurtf said:

The same reason people the world over do not obey laws. They have no respect for authorities or the laws authorities enact.

Why should anyone obey laws that they don't agree with? That's the way to go as long as no ordinary person is harmed.

48 minutes ago, Jackie66 said:

A lot of assumption in your posts formed by your life experiences. Just like you assume i am a woman.  Not everyone is the same as you and has different reasons for doing things.

Why you feel superior toward others is beyond me.

Can't see anywhere in my post you quoted where I've stated I'm superior to anyone.

On 8/6/2020 at 4:03 AM, dimitriv said:

I know several people who make enough to live, but do not meet the monthly income requirements and do not have enough money to put 400/800k in a bank account. 

So, working illegally then ??

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Do you imagine that you are the only one here who helps others in need? 

Yet you are the only one here sneering at others and attempting to boast about what you have. Why is that?

We are all different. Not all aspiring to the same lifestyle.

Some would be happy seeing out their days in a bamboo shack on the beach, whilst others would be content with nothing less than a 350 sq m house or apartment facing the sea.

So there is really no need to boast and sneer.  I never owned a Mercedes or Volvo, but that is because I have never coveted such things. Yet, I have been able to travel the world unfettered for the past 30 years.

Certainly not something that you were able to do, since you had to work. So I might choose to look down on you as a lowly worker.

But people who feel the need to look down on others in order to feel superior are, IMHO, the most pathetic of all.

We can learn a lot from the man who is self sufficient, without the trappings of wealth.  If I look down on anyone, it's upon the people who boast on here.

If the people without a lump sum of cash to sit idle, can live here without being a burden to others, more power to them. May they live long, happy and fruitful lives.

I look at the character, not at the clothing.

Sorry you're offended. I've never tried to show off what I have, but as having more in Thai society has obligations to help those in need. I never make a big deal of it and usually ask someone else to do the giving.

That being said, foreigners without sufficient means to meet legal requirements have no business living in Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The requirement for a retiree from the US,UK and Australia is at least 65,000 baht/month if they use the monthly income method. That's a lot of money. Maybe they "only" have 40,000 baht/month. Thats still an ok sum for an expat. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

The requirement for a retiree from the US,UK and Australia is at least 65,000 baht/month if they use the monthly income method. That's a lot of money. Maybe they "only" have 40,000 baht/month. Thats still an ok sum for an expat. 

However it's the requirement of the Thai Immigration so it's not an option. Check requirements of other place if you want but most desirable places have high standards.

Actually I feel that the requirements are quite reasonable  here.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Thailand is a bit of a poophole, if it weren't for cheap women women of lower expectations there's not much reason to come here. And yes I realise the usual sad and confused crowd will be upset, but they all seem to be living with a Thai woman, life in denial must be wonderful. Maybe I should replace 'cheap women' with 'women of lower expectations', but I expect they'd still be sad or confused.

I've never understood why the few odd western women wash up here, when they get to the stage where they're telling me they can't find the right man, I always excuse myself saying I have to meet my 20 year old Thai girlfriend.

Same for the schoolteachers, they could be earning decent money and a pension in their home countries, plenty of demand for schoolteachers in the west.

The majority are not schoolteachers, unqualified and inexperienced, increasingly not even NES. Teaching English conversation to kids who are in the main not interested, not expected to learn much and not allowed to fail is not teaching. 

Almost gave it a go 10 years ago but went away to work instead. Toolate now. 

Edited by rott
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Thai society has obligations to help those in need. I never make a big deal of it and usually ask someone else to do the giving.

No intention to offend, but you really do seem to have been making a bit of a big deal of it, simply by pointing out to all your generosity.  The genuinely generous that I know keep to themselves the knowledge of their largesse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2020 at 1:11 PM, 86Tiger said:

I have never understood OP question either.

The requirement is not in reality that cumbersome.  If monthly income is not enough go back home work a year or whatever it takes to save the lump sum, transfer to Thai bank and forget about it.  Seems a lot more simple than trying to figure ways around it every year.

But what do I know?

Say your Social Security covered the amount needed for a retirement visa extension when the baht was 36:$1. Now you don't get enough at 30:$1. Combo would work but U.S. Embassy won't issue income verification.

Say you haven't recovered from the economic collapse of 2008-12, when a lot of current retirees were put out of work, so they don't have $30,000 lying around, which is why they retired to Thailand in the first place.

Edited by Mac98
Add clarification.
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I couldn't afford bar girls after my divorce, but I still wanted to live in LOS till I died. I can't afford women back home either so that doesn't come into it, but my lifestyle in LOS was waaaaaay better than here. I only left because I could not afford 75,000 baht for medical insurance as well as a non O.

?!?!?!?!?!

In the US we pay way, way more than that for medical insurance. Thai health insurance is dirt cheap!

26 minutes ago, Falconator said:

?!?!?!?!?!

In the US we pay way, way more than that for medical insurance. Thai health insurance is dirt cheap!

So what?! He is not earning money in the US$. So what is the correlation?

Some really amazing people on this forum. The mind boggles...