Why are people staying in Thailand when then can't meet TI's financial requirements?

Boomer6969

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I think you're forgetting quite a lot of western guys never have sex at all (with another person in the room).

I was thinking threesomes and took me a minute to work it out. 555555555555555555555555

I've never understood why w*****s is a term of scorn when all men ( except liars ) do it.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Exactly. The OP has an extremely narrow minded perspective, what are the "financial requirements", other than sufficient to meet expenses.

I have a borderline income according to immigration, I put the funds into a house rather than a bank but that doesn't count for anything.

According to them you probably over invested in real estate. They used to teach in the west that real estate was always your greatest asset. It's not necessarily true in Thailand, and resells are often difficult. My wife's friend just sold her place for 50% of the cost to build (cement house). Teak houses hold there value better because they can be dismantled and sold for the wood (esp old houses). It can take years to sell a house especially if built to western standards and are better than the neighbourhood will bear.

10 hours ago, Falconator said:

I earn foreign currency online from clients outside Thailand. I told that to Thai immigration multiple times and they were perfectly OK with that. They will not have any problem with that as long as you stress that you are not taking any Thai person's job and that none of the money comes from within Thailand.

There is plenty of remote work to be done these days. From spreadsheet work to writing and coding, the possibilities are endless.

When COVID struck and Chiang Mai's burning season began, I hid in my room for months and came up with the money just in time to meet immigration requirements.

US taxes, which we can't escape for life, were definitely worse, so I'm not complaining about Thai requirements.

You mean you worked and got the money. What a unique idea. Others should try instead of complaining. Probably takes less energy than writing on TVF about being treated unfairly.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

And a lot of them having big problems in Thailand, lose all their money to the first hooker that looks at them, etc.

I worked out a long time ago that it's probably the first time a western man has sex with a woman that cares about THEM, even if it's only pretending. It's also probably better sex than they ever had before in their entire lives. Not for nothing have millions of western men traveled all the way to LOS for sex, and says much about the women in their own country. Feminism, IMO has destroyed femininity and reduced western relationships to a wasteland ruled by women. Far as I can see, the only answer is for western men to refuse to play their game, even if it means not having a relationship with western women.

I seem to remember a saying about western men living lives of quiet desperation.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Or in my case, perhaps a rusting out trailer in Florida or Arizona. Fortunately, I can sustain a comfortable life in Thailand on the required 65K baht a month for the foreseeable future.

Life in most areas of Thailand can be very comfortable on 65K baht/mo. As you said, the US would be quite a bit more with less comforts. 

Thai life is very comfortable for me.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2020 at 4:04 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Some are choosing to use the visa money on bar girls instead .

Not a good option but the temptation is strong ????

At least they're keeping the economy going. Those bar girls will spend that money in Thailand and enrich other sectors. 

8 hours ago, ericthai said:

I like when guys that haven't been in Thailand that long talk about corruption and they would never participate.  Just wait until you meet a corrupt cop that puts the pressure on you and you have no choice or an IO having a bad day making you jump through hoops or a govt official wanting a few baht to speed things or get done at all.   

I've been stopped by police for speeding when I was not, they show me a picture of a car when I have a truck, refused to pay, stuck sitting there 30 minutes until my wife finally gave in. They have all day / night to wait you out.

I lived and worked in Thailand for 4 years with no issues with cops, until my girlfriend's sister who was living with us got into a argument with a neighborhood girl which turned into a few slaps being thrown. We get a call from the cops, 5000B and she will be released and all will go away. 

This is Thailand, you might not want to play the game, but sometime you have no choice. 

Certainly have a choice about bailing out a woman that you don't sleep with.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The requirement for a retiree from the US,UK and Australia is at least 65,000 baht/month if they use the monthly income method. That's a lot of money. Maybe they "only" have 40,000 baht/month. Thats still an ok sum for an expat. 

Irrelevant. One either has enough to meet the specified requirements or one should not be living in LOS. Farangs have zero right to demand that the Thais conform to what they want.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I was thinking threesomes and took me a minute to work it out. 555555555555555555555555

I've never understood why w*****s is a term of scorn when all men ( except liars ) do it.

I thought that was a reference to him having sex with his children/step children* in the room as well 

* Sometimes they are his Children, other times they are his wifes Children, other times they are his girlfriends children , sometimes one of the children is his and the other isnt , the oldest one has even been referred to as his girlfreind at times, it changes constantly .

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, ericthai said:

I like when guys that haven't been in Thailand that long talk about corruption and they would never participate.  Just wait until you meet a corrupt cop that puts the pressure on you and you have no choice or an IO having a bad day making you jump through hoops or a govt official wanting a few baht to speed things or get done at all.   

I've been stopped by police for speeding when I was not, they show me a picture of a car when I have a truck, refused to pay, stuck sitting there 30 minutes until my wife finally gave in. They have all day / night to wait you out.

I lived and worked in Thailand for 4 years with no issues with cops, until my girlfriend's sister who was living with us got into a argument with a neighborhood girl which turned into a few slaps being thrown. We get a call from the cops, 5000B and she will be released and all will go away. 

This is Thailand, you might not want to play the game, but sometime you have no choice. 

Decent people don't get hit with corruption bribes unless they are in a seedy place, IMO. I have a longer experience in Thailand than most and have never been hit up for a bribe. My wife did send me back into the immigration office with a box of imported chocolates because she was very pleased with their services. This was after everything was done and we were already in the car. BTW we already knew that a new immigration office was opening in our provence and would not be going back. Not a bribe.

In the US hospital where I worked patients would often leave small gifts when they left, but it was never expected.

If you do something wrong (slap) you risk a fine or bribe, I guess.

I wouldn't have a problem living in Calif in one of my paid for homes on my SS and pension of $2600/mo.

The gym back home is cheaper and 100% nicer than Thailand, food is comparable, beer and wine cheaper back home, can buy a nice cigar when I want, can walk into a store and buy a joint when I want, can walk down the street without nasty soi dogs coming at me, no more visa bs, can buy used cars cheaper, can buy a MC much cheaper.

But, have a young daughter here in Thailand, live very close to the sea in a non touristy fishing village, can go to beach anytime with a cold beer (heaven) I don't know why I like it better here, it just feels right for now. 

When it doesn't feel right I'll return to Calif and like will be good in a different way.

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Thailand is a bit of a poophole, if it weren't for cheap women women of lower expectations there's not much reason to come here. And yes I realise the usual sad and confused crowd will be upset, but they all seem to be living with a Thai woman, life in denial must be wonderful. Maybe I should replace 'cheap women' with 'women of lower expectations', but I expect they'd still be sad or confused.

I've never understood why the few odd western women wash up here, when they get to the stage where they're telling me they can't find the right man, I always excuse myself saying I have to meet my 20 year old Thai girlfriend.

Same for the schoolteachers, they could be earning decent money and a pension in their home countries, plenty of demand for schoolteachers in the west.

Agree that LOS is a P******e, but it's an enjoyable P******e compared to the boring over regulated PC places that western countries have become. What's the point of living in a beautiful country when life is p**p?

Their women are always "different" and never cheap.

I was going to say that I never encountered a western woman complaining about her lack of male company in LOS, but then I remembered traveling on a Samui songtheaw to Chaweng in the 90s. I was too kind to rub it in that all the western men preferred Thai women. Back home I'd have crawled over broken glass just to kiss her feet.

School teaching in the west is a no go area for men. Like male nurses, there are always females lurking and ready to accuse one of all sorts of heinous PC crimes. I had to always be on guard and protect myself, but I can't imagine what traps are set for male teachers with girl students.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, checkered flag said:

Although I'm always respectful to everyone, most of my Thai friends are professional and middle income. I take my clues from them and see them as generous caring people. 

They're probably not so generous and caring when you can't see them.

Image is everything in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, pineapple01 said:

God help those who came here without full pension, had some money but blew it on her house, family etc, now in their late sixties n skint. You dont hear about them on TV.  They cant afford a flight home now

Can't afford to stay or go, plus minimal contribution to the Thai economy. If back home they'd need to get a job, like most people. Walmart hires old gents as door greeters.

3 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I wouldn't have a problem living in Calif in one of my paid for homes on my SS and pension of $2600/mo.

The gym back home is cheaper and 100% nicer than Thailand, food is comparable, beer and wine cheaper back home, can buy a nice cigar when I want, can walk into a store and buy a joint when I want, can walk down the street without nasty soi dogs coming at me, no more visa bs, can buy used cars cheaper, can buy a MC much cheaper.

But, have a young daughter here in Thailand, live very close to the sea in a non touristy fishing village, can go to beach anytime with a cold beer (heaven) I don't know why I like it better here, it just feels right for now. 

When it doesn't feel right I'll return to Calif and like will be good in a different way.

I doubt many on here are in the same privileged situation. Many will have lost much to a previous mistake wife.

2 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Can't afford to stay or go, plus minimal contribution to the Thai economy. If back home they'd need to get a job, like most people. Walmart hires old gents as door greeters.

Door greeters have been done away with I believe.

2 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

Don't know about you, but my motive for wanting to live in LOS was never to "contribute" to the Thai economy.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, ChakaKhan said:

LINK????   I was paying 3500 out on canal by mae hia....a/c- cable -wifi..nice wood furniture--quiet studio

maybe I can do english lessons with a Uni cutie and practice my hansum-ness......power to the pooyings!

No link, but there is a phone number.

P_20180820_103052.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, AndrewMciver said:

At least they're keeping the economy going. Those bar girls will spend that money in Thailand and enrich other sectors. 

However, this thread is about meeting the immigration financials to live in Thailand. Not supporting hookers in Pattaya.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And I'm pretty sure there are many millions back home who wouldn't keep that amount of money in the bank there either. Remember how many who were put out of work by the virus were claiming they could only survive for a month or two? So why Thailand demands it I have no idea. As you say, there are plenty who survive here without having that amount in the bank. I am very reluctant to keep that money in Thailand and I'd far rather keep it in Farangland.

IMO they demand it to keep out those that are too poor to be able to pay for exceptional situations like hospital after an accident. Quite right too.

If you don't want to comply with the requirements go live at home, wherever that is.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No link, but there is a phone number.

P_20180820_103052.jpg

Nice...time I get back it will be a dump...also whenever I see these and I finally find someone, I get the solly--no hab no hab line.....I found one for 1000 a month--was told it was only that price for thais and she tried to sell me a 2200 room......maybe you can locate a cutie there that needs a "hansum teacher/ sponsor"

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Taxes in California killed it for me. Gas taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, car taxes. Plus I'd have to pay Calif income taxes. I'm glade to be gone. 

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I doubt many on here are in the same privileged situation. Many will have lost much to a previous mistake wife.

I did as well when I was 30, but worked hard and got back on track. I don't consider myself privileged, never lived beyond my means. Never had a new car, didn't eat out, no Starbucks, worked as a Merchant Seaman for 20 yrs. away from home, no I'm not  privileged but understand my position is better than many. I have a friend back home who at age 63 can't stop working and won't until his health forces him to stop.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jackie66 said:

A lot of assumption in your posts formed by your life experiences. Just like you assume i am a woman.  Not everyone is the same as you and has different reasons for doing things.

Why you feel superior toward others is beyond me.

He doesn't feel superior, IMO. He is just telling it like it is, and not as those that worship women think, IMO.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

The difference is that you can't say that "you" have a house. It's not yours, even if you paid for it.

I have no problem with it as I hate that foreigners bought up the houses in NZ and only rich people can buy one now.

The Thais have the right idea to treat farangs as aliens and forbid them to buy land, IMO.

According to the divorce judge, I didn't have a house in my home country either.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1