Tourism ‘may take 7 years to recover’

geovalin

The Ministry of Tourism has predicted that in the worst-case scenario tourism could take up to seven years to return to normal because of Coronavirus. The ministry said that the COVID-19 crisis has had a profound effect on the development of the world in all areas, particularly the tourism sector.

In the context of the pandemic, Cambodia’s tourism sector in 2020 is projected to have three scenarios. In the first it will decline from 50 percent to 60 percent, with an expectation of receiving about 2.5 million international tourists, In the second, it will  decrease by 60 to 70 percent with approximately 2 million visitors. In the third scenario, the sector will decrease from 70 to 90 percent with about 1.5 million international tourists expected.

With the uncertain state of COVID- 19, Cambodia is likely to suffer the third scenario, which will take up to seven years for the sector to return to normal, according to the ministry, with the best situation taking three to five years.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50752225/tourism-may-take-7-years-to-recover/

• Haha 1

Covid has very little to do with it. The main cause of the existing decline in western tourists is because of the way they are treated by the police, immigration, 2-tier pricing, gauging etc that they are subjected to. 40 years ago it was not like this, and if I were asked to guess the start of the decline I would have to say right at the beginning of the shinawatra misreign. Immediately put in place was the "No interest for Farangs in and Thai bank account" !! A very friendly move, thinks I !  Bring back Khun Anand Panyarachun, please ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

36 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

Covid has very little to do with it. The main cause of the existing decline in western tourists is because of the way they are treated by the police, immigration, 2-tier pricing, gauging etc that they are subjected to.

Apart from the Angkor Wat entrance fee, I've always found Cambodia very reasonable.

It was jam packed with western tourists when I was there in March.

Edited by BritManToo

7 years? Really? That's a long long time isn't it? 

Thailand economy recover in 7 years?  by then China would have nuked California or Manhattan wouldn't you think so- considering chinese nuclear capability improving at such fast pace and bad American attitude in diplomatic parlance.

• Like 1
  • Confused 5

and thats if theyre lucky with many large aircraft out of service and scrapped ,flights to los will be a problem for years as int travel dries up .ticket prices will rise hard with jumbos and 380s out of service too

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Covid has very little to do with it. The main cause of the existing decline in western tourists is because of the way they are treated by the police, immigration, 2-tier pricing, gauging etc that they are subjected to. 40 years ago it was not like this, and if I were asked to guess the start of the decline I would have to say right at the beginning of the shinawatra misreign. Immediately put in place was the "No interest for Farangs in and Thai bank account" !! A very friendly move, thinks I !  Bring back Khun Anand Panyarachun, please ????

I think the article as referring to Cambodia.

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Errr- the item is actually about Cambodia rather than Thailand

Good luck with that one; nobody can tell you anything about Xmas this year and the TAT-clowns-in-chief can predict a seven-years-axis? Wondering what kind of crystal ball they are looking at this time. 

The good old days are gone; Thailand's tourism was dying anyway and Corona just sped up the whole process into the very fast lane. 

12 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Good luck with that one; nobody can tell you anything about Xmas this year and the TAT-clowns-in-chief can predict a seven-years-axis? Wondering what kind of crystal ball they are looking at this time. 

The good old days are gone; Thailand's tourism was dying anyway and Corona just sped up the whole process into the very fast lane. 

Yes they were forcing us out. Good starve 

• Like 1