BTS Pink Line pillar collapses, 5 workers hurt

webfact

BTS Pink Line pillar collapses, 5 workers hurt

By THE NATION

800_386b641b3213f76.jpg?v=1596684358

A BTS Pink Line pillar under construction collapsed today (August 6) on Chaengwattana Road in Nonthaburi’s Pak Kret district, injuring five workers.

Pak Kret police and rescue staff rushed to the scene at 2am on being alerted to the collapse. The five injured workers were sent to hospital.

yMlaiBWrXFg5VkR1_060132.jpg

One of the workers named Narongdak Borirak, 29, said he and three others along with a foreman were cementing the pillar when it suddenly collapsed.

The debris has now been cleared.

According to the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand, an initial inspection showed the pillar collapsed because of the soft soil caused by continuous rain. When the pillar was being cemented, the extra weight made it become more unstable, leading to the collapse.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30392524

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-08-06

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, webfact said:

The debris has now been cleared.

It never happened, I wish those injured a speedy recovery, but next time make sure

your foundations are set in solid ground.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, johng said:

Imagine a fully loaded train had been running on top of the pillars  with soft soil underneath :crazy:

what a silly "excuse"   but if true a there could be very very serious situation with other pillars.

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

My source says nobody killed, which I find incredible.

Did you see the other incredible video this morning of the speeding (F1) rubbish  collectors flipping their truck onto a pickup truck and 15 year old boy driving a motorbike all survived..

but the concrete block sure looked lethal to me.

For reference regarding the contractors for the Pink Line - quote for "Railway Technology Magazine":-

The BSR Joint Venture (BSR) comprising BTS Group Holdings (BTSG), Sino-Thai Engineering and Construction (STEC), and Ratchaburi Electricity Generating Holding (RATCH) won the bid for the construction of the Pink and Yellow lines in December 2016

Note: concrete - Sino Thai - Public Health Minister?????

• Like 2

8 hours ago, webfact said:

According to the Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand, an initial inspection showed the pillar collapsed because of the soft soil caused by continuous rain. When the pillar was being cemented, the extra weight made it become more unstable, leading to the collapse.

Bodes well for the future... Safe trusted Thailand.

6 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

For reference regarding the contractors for the Pink Line - quote for "Railway Technology Magazine":-

The BSR Joint Venture (BSR) comprising BTS Group Holdings (BTSG), Sino-Thai Engineering and Construction (STEC), and Ratchaburi Electricity Generating Holding (RATCH) won the bid for the construction of the Pink and Yellow lines in December 2016

Note: concrete - Sino Thai - Public Health Minister?????

Yep

safety first!

Edited by Redline
  • Like 1

I go by there often, and they filled in a drainage ditch and placed the framing on top.

I told my wife that I didn’t know how they were poring concert in deep mud and heavy rains.

I thought there was some new technology-guess not ????

8 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

Usual cr@p reporting from the Nation.

They say a *BTS Pink Line pillar, but it's the MRT.  At the bottom of the article, they even SAY it's the MRT!  

Definitely BTS, being constructed by STECON, Post #15 has more detail.

But there's a lot of confusion over these projects. Many people classify any elevated railway as "BTS". The Purple Line, Blue Line Extension, Red Line and Airport Link are all elevated, none are BTS.

Not helped by MRTA being involved in both BTS and BEM (formerly BMCL) projects, the MRTA logo is all over.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

Same to me, he must have a really good amulet.

It would seem that the "soft earth" was actually under the supports for the formwork, which failed when the concrete was being poured, the column footings themselves go a long way down.

Thanks very much for that explanation. It makes a lot more sense, since I was thinking about not taking any skytrains again (at least not out toward Nonthaburi in the future).