Help with water storage please

adv008

Hello.

I looking for some advice as to what to do to improve my water storage.  One photo shows my two concete water tanks. I have a bore hole and the water is pumped up into the tank on the right. This has no lid and all sorts of nasty thing growing in there. The water then gravity feeds to the second tank with the tap on the front and then to the pump which feeds the house. The man who used to clean it every year is now not contactable. At first the water was a red colour and he would put some sticky rice in the first tank which would cure the problem.  Now the people next door have this blue cylinder which i believe they fill with a charcoal product. This works well for them and there water is no longer red. I found a shop selling these and when I showed them a picture of my tank they said it will not work with a concrete tank but I could not fully understand why. I only use this water for showers ect not for drinking. Can anyone explain to me why this would not work with a concrete tank and if there is anything else I could do instead.  I will put a particle filter in on the supply from the bore hole. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks 20200728_150841.thumb.jpg.f3d5bed6f9216d241635bd71dd652be1.jpg

20200729_162509.jpg

I don't think there's any real reason for the filter not to work with concrete tanks.

BUT

Since you are going to shell a not insignificant number of $$$ on the filter why not go the whole hog and invest in a couple of decent poly tanks too? Less gunk for the filter to remove if there's no wildlife inhabiting the water.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I don't think there's any real reason for the filter not to work with concrete tanks.

BUT

Since you are going to shell a not insignificant number of $$$ on the filter why not go the whole hog and invest in a couple of decent poly tanks too? Less gunk for the filter to remove if there's no wildlife inhabiting the water.

I just recently had a quote to change the filter media in 2 59" polycarbon filters. One carbon and one zeolite (something like that ). Somewhere between B5000 and B7000. I have a 3000L settlement tank from the bore before the filters and is needed as we have a lot of suspended iron in the water. Suspect you do too if you have that red colour. The concrete tanks could be your settlement tank. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am with you on this one Crossy. a couple of 2000 liter Sandstone's or some type of poly is so much better & not that expensive nowadays. Easier to clean & not much grows on the inside at all. I never had algae or any other <deleted> other than the occasional sludge buildup that Jerks who wash the bottoms of their trucks in the lake. It will leave slight deposit in the height of hot season.Nothing that a little bleach & a scrub a dub won't fix. In fact the only reason why we have a filter is for that reason. Cement is great for a septic system but nothing beats Poly lasts for many moons! our old house we sold tank is 15 years old & still fully intact.