getting a 1 year extension and transferring money from uk.

Hi,my non o ME visa has expired and 60 day extension has been used, phoned my local im office today and they said they if i could get 400k baht in my bank account they may be able to help me, presumably this will come at a price.  If this option was offered, when i transferred the money  would you recommend transferwise, or a swift payment ?.

@ OP > Please note that having already used your 60-days extension of stay application, you won't be able anymore to meet the TWO months seasoning requirement for the +400K funds-in-bank method when applying for your 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage, as that application has to be done before the end of the Amnesty (26 September),

However it is possible that your local IO will provide leniency (but that might come at a - hefty - price).

Alternatively, you could use the +40K monthly-income transfer method.  In order to use that method you would only need to provide evidence that you made TWO monthly-income transfers of +40K in the 2 months preceding your application.  So one +40K transfer done in August, and one in September would still be possible to meet the financial requirement when using that method.  Also, there is no need to 'season' the funds transferred, and you can use them as you please once the transfer arrived on your personal thai bank-account.

But when using that method you would need to prove the foreign origins of the funds transferred (the TransferWise document I PM-ed you, outlines how to do that irrespective whether you use TransferWise or another way to transfer the funds, and irrespective at which thai bank you have a personal thai bank-account).
The only problem might be that your local IO MIGHT also ask you to prove the source of the foreign income transfers (e.g. a pension statement issued by your pension provider, or an Embassy issued foreign income-statement).

> What is your local IO?  Some IOs don't ask for the sourcing of the funds, while others do.

> What is your nationality?  In case you are NOT a UK, US or Australian citizen, and you have foreign income, you could apply at your Embassy for an Embassy issued income-statement (and in that case there is NO need to park or transfer any funds to a thai bank-account).

• Like 2

I have a Bangkok Bank account, im from the uk. The immigration office is in deep issan on border with Laos.  My wife spoke to the immigration officer and she was of the opinion that if the brown envelope was thick enough any seasoning of money wouldnt be important, especially since the im officer gave us a name we should ask for when we got there.  I could be wrong of course.

One more question guys, if i do have to return to the UK, what do you think would happen if my flight was cancelled ?

Thank you all for your replies. i have no idea how this will all pan out.

2 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

Sounds very familiar, yes it will cost you to overlook the seasoning requirement!

But he can still use the monthly-income transfer method and transfer +40K this month and +40K next month, before applying for the 1-year extension of stay.

Best to enquire at your local IO whether they would accept TWO monthly income-transfers as some IOs - incorrectly - still require three of such monthly transfers (which is not possible anymore with Amnesty ending 26 Sept)..

I just used the 400k baht method, and most of the money was withdrawn from local Thai ATMs.

No need to prove that it had come from abroad.

You only need to proof of overseas transfers for the regular income method to show that you are not gaining regular income from within Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fxe1200 said:

To have proof about the source of the money, please make screenshots of your transfer. On you Thai bank slip it might not show, that the money came from abroad.

You do not have to show the money came from abroad where a 12 month ext  based on seasoned bank deposit is being sought.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, fxe1200 said:

To have proof about the source of the money, please make screenshots of your transfer. On you Thai bank slip it might not show, that the money came from abroad.

You are mixing origins and source of funds, which are two different requirements.

When using the monthly-income transfer method you need to provide evidence that the funds transferred to your personal thai bank-account originated from abroad.

But IO might also ask you to prove the source of the foreign monthly income, e.g. by a pension statement issued by your pension provider or an Embassy issued monthly foreign income statement.

For citizens of UK, US and Australia such an Embassy issued income statement is not possible anymore as the respective Embassies do not issue them anymore.  And if not receiving pension (proven by a pension statement), it will be a challenge convincing your IO that the source of those monthly income transfers is a 'steady monthly income stream' (some IOs ONLY accept a pension-statement as proof of source of foreign income).

7 minutes ago, Falconator said:

I just used the 400k baht method, and most of the money was withdrawn from local Thai ATMs.

No need to prove that it had come from abroad.

You only need to proof of overseas transfers for the regular income method to show that you are not gaining regular income from within Thailand.

That's correct, when using the 400K funds-in-bank method there is no need to prove foreign origins nor source of that 400K.

Also note that when you have a Work Permit and meet the other requirements you CAN use the income gained from those activities within Thailand, to prove you meet the financial requirements for your 1-year extension of stay based on your Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage.

Attached an excerpt from the requirements as issued by the SriRatcha IO

9.1 From income in Thailand
1.1 Foreigner must to have income more than 40,000 THB/month
1.2 Salary certificate from company. Specify position, salary and term of employment
1.3 Pay tax’ information P.N.D.1 (3 months previous) and last P.N.D.50 (have improve from revenue department)
1.4 important information about company registration
1.5 Labor permit of foreigner
1.6 Company’s map and company’s picture