BANGKOK
rocky123

Electric Bill, hike

Did you get the engineers names and do you speak Thai?

If not, take a Thai speaker with you to the office and explain the situation.

The prior useage will obviously show their was an issue 10,000 b seems impossible even if 2 or 3 were running 24/7.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, rocky123 said:

I asked whether I would get a refund, and they said no, it was not their fault. I pay by standing order so they took out my bank already.

Well from your explanation it clearly is  their fault  as the "fault" was on "their" side of the meter..getting a refund from them is another matter..but I do remember reading of some people getting refunds after the cases got some  media attention.

• Like 2

"...they said no, it was not their fault."

Unless you have reason to believe that the meter itself is faulty, then from your brief description it seems most likely that there is/was some degree of leakage on your side of the meter. In the wiring that you own. 

It sucks to lose money that way but it could be a lot worse if the exact cause isn't located and repaired. That segment, from the output of the meter to the panel's master breaker, is unprotected. The rest of the wiring in your house is protected from starting a fire by the breakers but the first segment has none.  

16 hours ago, johng said:

Well from your explanation it clearly is  their fault  as the "fault" was on "their" side of the meter..getting a refund from them is another matter..but I do remember reading of some people getting refunds after the cases got some  media attention.

Not sure how a fault on the supply side can cause the meter to spin.... I did not read that in the OP, perhaps he was poking around on the house side of the lines. In my place there is a tap off upstream of the mains incomer at the house, it feeds another small breaker going to the gate motor. Obviously anything downstream of the meter is 'yours'.

Be interesting to hear how cancelling the standing order works out, I once heard that was not straightforward and needed the utility permission.... one reason I pay mine at the 7-11.

29 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not sure how a fault on the supply side can cause the meter to spin....

Yes good point

18 hours ago, rocky123 said:

After I turned off my supply from the mains box, and showed them my meter, outside , on the pole was still spinning,

So it would seem that someone has "tapped"  into the output side of the meter and when they poked about

it got disconnected , they should have investigated where that rogue  connection wire  lead to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You will need to obtain someone who can speak Thai and understand some English to convey your question. You will need to start at the top and obtain the others who came out to your house.

Based on your comments it isn't from the meter since you indicated the poking came from the wires. I would seriously have some one look at the wires above since it can easily go away so fast it can also come back. Someone might have tapped into your line I once had this problem in my apartment unit building when I shut down the power the meter continue to run outside I finally found a guy to check it out one of the former tenants had added some items and wired things incorrectly.

I can imagine how it will yo at the PEA.

Last time I enquired why my electric bill went from about 1500 baht to nearly 5000 baht they said.

Yes Thailand very hot.

I explained that it has never been more than 1500 baht they said very hot this year.

About 2 months later the meter stopped working .

Might be something similar as mine was spinning when everything was off.

• Haha 1

You could try the consumer protection department at City Hall, I've got no experience with them personally, but I have read one or two things over the years that may make it worth a shot.

• Like 1

If you get to the bottom of this I would like to hear about it.

He fiddled with wires on their side of the meter & your meter stopped turning ?

Even if someone tapped into your supply if on the mains side why would your meter turn ?

You sure there is no "loop" connection