Electric Bill, hike

rocky123

32 minutes ago, rocky123 said:

Had an independent electrician come over. He climbed up the pole and has insulated my wires at the top of pole. He says this was the problem, we will see. Surely the PEA should take responsibility for Their wiring over the road. Anyway cross fingers. Thanks for all the assistance, especially Reece, who put me onto the sparky.

I have always believed that the the MEA/PEA responsibility ended at the output of the meter.(Maybe Crossy could clarify)

If that is the case then the wires from the meter crossing the road and going to your house are your responsibility.

Any shorts or unauthorised addons after the meter would therefore be up to you to correct. Similarly any electricity consumed by these faults or add ons would be down to you.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 10:12 AM, rocky123 said:

Pic shows 3 "Engineers" on the pole oposite my house, where my meter is.

Why on earth is the meter not located on your property ( yes I know T.I.T) 

unfortunately (as far as I know) you are responsible for the  wires on the output side of the meter,  I would ask them to move the meter to the wall outside your house..they probably won't agree but  worth asking.

Looks like there are at least 6 meters on that pole..I wonder if any of your neighbours  have also received huge bills lately ?

1236298180_6onapole.jpg.fdd90b7a6867b8439f35adf8ef591740.jpg

10 minutes ago, johng said:

Why on earth is the meter not located on your property

So the meter can be read when you are out! Mine is just outside my gate, but those  across the street have their meters on my side where the utility poles are. There are conduits though taking the cables under the road. I suspect it is more common they go back up the pole and over to the houses in the air. Easy for illegal taps and leakage on the house side of the meter.

Edited by jacko45k

On 8/8/2020 at 10:12 AM, rocky123 said:

The problem is up this pole. The very unhelpful people at PEA, just brushed me off. "Your Problem" I have been a costumer 15 years and thought they could at least advise me on how to resolve this. Saw the manager at PEA, eventualy. Gave no advise or help, just said, "You want I pay from my pocket !! Worried now about my future bills. Anyone know where to go for help. Thank you.

Pic shows 3 "Engineers" on the pole oposite my house, where my meter is.

20200806_105623.jpg

Start with cancelling your scheduled payments from your bank account. 

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

So the meter can be read when you are out! Mine is just outside my gate, but those  across the street have their meters on my side where the utility poles are. There are conduits though taking the cables under the road. I suspect it is more common they go back up the pole and over to the houses in the air. Easy for illegal taps and leakage on the house side of the meter.

Indeed. In the village I'm in, they put the meters for 4 houses on one pole (which is between my house and the neighbours) and the lines for the 2 houses across the street go back up the pole and across. Easier for the meter readers I guess. 
Every so often I check my bill against the meter to make sure they read the right one and the numbers match.  I suspect my neighbours would be the first to howl if they got my bill by mistake though !