Dead Sea Salt available in Thailand?

jmccarty

I have been looking for dead sea salt from Israel if available in bulk 25kg bags, the Bokek label would be ideal.  Has anyone seen this available, already imported into Thailand and for sale?

Appreciate any assistance, I have googled it to no domestic avail.

bokek salt.jpg

3 hours ago, stouricks said:

What is OPTICALLY CLEAN salt?

Does it mean you can't see the dirt in it.

And being from Israel, is it Kosher?    PML

It is really "koshering salt" (used for brining, cooking, not table) it has larger granules and no iodine.

Lazada has "Kosher salt".

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.1.44acb560Drz0m0&q=kosher salt&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--4373353008048531232__abId--154857__pvid--281f361c-5e71-4a3f-a9fb-44ccaf060563&from=suggest_normal&sugg=kosher salt_0_1

I doubt it comes from the Dead Sea. For that matter I would not place any bets on salt labelled "Dead SZea Salt" necessarily having come from the Dead Sea.

Whether this would suit OP's purposes, I have no idea

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Lazada has "Kosher salt".

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.search.1.44acb560Drz0m0&q=kosher salt&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--4373353008048531232__abId--154857__pvid--281f361c-5e71-4a3f-a9fb-44ccaf060563&from=suggest_normal&sugg=kosher salt_0_1

I doubt it comes from the Dead Sea. For that matter I would not place any bets on salt labelled "Dead SZea Salt" necessarily having come from the Dead Sea.

Whether this would suit OP's purposes, I have no idea

It's to be used for a bathing treatment for skin psoriasis. That's why I'm looking for bulk imported product and it is exported from Israel for this purpose.  It's not for cooking.

3 hours ago, stouricks said:

What is OPTICALLY CLEAN salt?

Does it mean you can't see the dirt in it.

And being from Israel, is it Kosher?    PML

This Bokek brand is cleaned by remote optics and high pressure air to remove rocks, sand and anything else that can be seen by the optic viewer.  Not sure of the exact process and this is not really necessary for what I am looking for but beneficial. 

Edited by jmccarty

3 hours ago, johng said:

I'm sure I'm  missing something  but... why ?   salt is salt is it not ?

There are many types of salt.  This one is for treatment of skin problems in a bath solution.  It's has a lot more minerals and compounds than table salt.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jmccarty said:

It's to be used for a bathing treatment for skin psoriasis. That's why I'm looking for bulk imported product and it is exported from Israel for this purpose.  It's not for cooking.

I hope it cures your problem, like it cures my bacon !   PML 555

14 minutes ago, jmccarty said:

There are many types of salt.  This one is for treatment of skin problems in a bath solution.  It's has a lot more minerals and compounds than table salt.

So it is not really the sodium chloride, it all the other things in it.

27 minutes ago, johng said:

As you are in the Pattaya area  maybe you could try some sea salt form the "Naklue" area  

A.K.A north Pattaya   where there are still salt flats and the salt is "farmed" and sold.

It's missing a lot of compounds the Dead Sea Salt specifically has. Thanks though, I was not aware of those salt flats.  I will have a look one day at low tide to see something new.

Sea salt from the salt fields in Samut Songkhram is good enough for many. 20 Baht for a single kilo bag at the road side stands and not much more in stores around Bangkok (and probably nationwide). Hard work harvesting it yourself though (damn heavy). 

I'm told that this is what is used on the salted barbequed fish. I use it at home as condiment and in cooking. Very clear and clean but obviously not Kosher. Is there a Buddhist equivalent to Kosher?

20200806_193635.jpg

20190313_163819.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Sea salt from the salt fields in Samut Songkhram is good enough for many. 20 Baht for a single kilo bag at the road side stands and not much more in stores around Bangkok (and probably nationwide). Hard work harvesting it yourself though (damn heavy). 

I'm told that this is what is used on the salted barbequed fish. I use it at home as condiment and in cooking. Very clear and clean but obviously not Kosher. Is there a Buddhist equivalent to Kosher?

20200806_193635.jpg

20190313_163819.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. as stouricks mentioned above, not looking for sodium chloride, or conventional sea salt.  I have seen advertising online of some local spas offering Dead Sea Salt treatments.  They could be importing it themselves, or perhaps not really using Dead Sea Salt, perhaps using Epsom Salt or the Samut Songkhram salt.

From a website, one of many:

The composition is also different. In regular ocean water, 85 percent of the salt is sodium chloride (table salt); however, Dead Sea salt is only 12–18 percent sodium chloride. This means that Dead Sea salt contains a richer mixture of other nutrients, primarily magnesium salts. In Dead Sea salts you will find 21 minerals which include magnesium, calcium, sulfur, bromide, iodine, sodium, zinc and potassium and others.

Edited by jmccarty
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Lazada has soem "Dead Sea Bath Salts" listed but (1) no idea how genuine and (2) size is probably a lot less than you are looking for.

Thanks Sheryl,

Yes, Lazada sells very small packages for a lot.  Primary commercial sources are Israel and Jordan and if I were looking for it from the source, it is US$50-60/ton excluding shipping and customs duty.  That's a lot more volume than I am looking for but there could be someone in Thailand that is supplying the spas that offer it.  I expect those few spas will not send me to their supplier. 

13 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Have you tried Ali Baba? Might find wholesaler there 

Maybe, I see one Jordan seller has 25kg bags. I will write to them.  The Israeli sellers are large volume. 

Cheers!

1 hour ago, how241 said:

Interesting, learned something new today.  All salt is not the same.

The Dead Sea is a major (#1?) source for Bromine, through a process called solution mining.

I was surprised that anyone would eat Dead Sea salt.  It appears that they don't...

There are lots of places around the world where the salt is extremely toxic.  That's why I'm skeptical when I read claims of "Natural Himalayan Salt" and how it HAS to be good for you because it's natural, and our bodies evolved in sea salt.

Have been using Himalayan Pink or Black ( kala namak ) rock salt for some years.

pH is around 6+
I started drinking it whilst in hospital following a stroke, as part of my recovery program.

Can buy as crystals or as a granule.
I buy both from a relative of a friend when I am in Bangkok, who is an importer of rock and crushes and sells his own.   It's price is way below those online.    Online if you search well you can find it for around 150 baht a kg.    The more the container is tarted up the higher the price.

Ideal for making a refreshing drink in the summer, water, lemon juice, salt.
I add to what ever I cook and also include in homemade smoothies ( these are fruits of the season, vegetables, soy milk (( I am vegan )).

The jury is still out as to whether or not Himalayan rock salt is more beneficial than other salts, taste wise for me it is excellent.

Occasionally I drink an early morning coffee near the local govt. hospital, ( the man and wife are there from around midnight ) at a street side place that sells only coffee, eggs and butterflies.   Sit on stools around a folding table on the pavement, free tea refills.   The salt is great for dipping the butterflies in to.

4 hours ago, izod10 said:

The smallest knick,graze whatever on skin hurts like hell bathing in the Dead sea     massage parlour near Jameson's Irish pub Pattaya advertises Dead Sea salt massage

Cheers,  I'm using it as an additive to a bath for easing a skin problem.  No massage needed.

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

Have been using Himalayan Pink or Black ( kala namak ) rock salt for some years.

pH is around 6+
I started drinking it whilst in hospital following a stroke, as part of my recovery program.

Can buy as crystals or as a granule.
I buy both from a relative of a friend when I am in Bangkok, who is an importer of rock and crushes and sells his own.   It's price is way below those online.    Online if you search well you can find it for around 150 baht a kg.    The more the container is tarted up the higher the price.

Ideal for making a refreshing drink in the summer, water, lemon juice, salt.
I add to what ever I cook and also include in homemade smoothies ( these are fruits of the season, vegetables, soy milk (( I am vegan )).

The jury is still out as to whether or not Himalayan rock salt is more beneficial than other salts, taste wise for me it is excellent.

Occasionally I drink an early morning coffee near the local govt. hospital, ( the man and wife are there from around midnight ) at a street side place that sells only coffee, eggs and butterflies.   Sit on stools around a folding table on the pavement, free tea refills.   The salt is great for dipping the butterflies in to.

I did not know himalayan rock salt or any salt could be used for stroke treatment. Ingesting too much sodium chloride will raise your blood pressure but it is therapy for dehydration which is common in Thailand for people that sweat outside a lot.   

9 hours ago, llp said:

This is very interesting.  I will ask them for a full spec on the composition.

Thanks!