Used Car - Best Place to Buy - How to find?

Thomas J

Live in Pattaya but have no problem driving to Bangkok or similar distance to find a good used car.  Looking at something 2017 - 2020 possibly Honda City or equivalent.  Where is a good place to locate.  I have tried Facebook Marketplace but it is difficult to use.  Is there a good source to look for used cars here in Thailand?  Not wanting obviously to end up with one that has been heavily crashed or flooded. 

I had a decent price on a Nissan Almera (via Facebook). Got it checked out online and at the driving centre. All good. 

Turns out to be a pile of <deleted> with “too much accident” (Nissan garage).

I was conned by Russian criminals but ymmv. 

Edited by John435

11 hours ago, kenk24 said:

my wife would tell you that if something were a quality 2nd hand item, it would go to someone in the family... only when it has a problem and nobody wants it... then it gets sold 2nd hand... 

Thats  just  not true is it, plenty of 19 year  cars  available on various websites.

52 minutes ago, bodga said:

Thats  just  not true is it, plenty of 19 year  cars  available on various websites.

why would the age of the car matter? IN USA there are a ton of garage sales every weekend... in my village over 20 years, not one... because everything goes to the family. And it is not 100% - farang sell cars used - I am sure more so in Bkk than a village... 

There are numerous Facebook groups selling second-hand cars. Try the group "Cars for sale in Pattaya". Of course, some people are simply unrealistic about their asking price, but others are sensible and may even be bargained down a bit. Arrange a test drive, if you don't know much about cars find a friend or hire somebody who does to take a look for you. Ten years ago, there was very little depreciation on most vehicles here and so buying second-hand made little sense. About four or five years ago, a lot of second-hand cars suddenly hit the market when the government's tax-incentive scheme expired, and prices became much more sensible. They've largely stayed that way, and there are plenty of reasonably-priced, good quality, second-hand cars on the market now. As with buying a used car back home, though, there are plenty of scoundrels out there and you need to be careful and know what you're doing. Four years ago, I got a second-hand, top-of-the-range Ford Fiesta Sport with only 12,000 km on the clock for just over half the new price. I've been very happy with it, no problems at all. Just like back home, I'd never buy a new car here now that second-hand prices have become reasonable.

• Like 1

Go to a car auction I bought my car for five years ago at a car auction and other than basic oil changes cars been perfect I think when I bought the car at the auction it was nine months or a year old so I had warranty on it and hasn’t give me any problems I probably saved in reality about 50% or more

7 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

Go to a car auction I bought my car for five years ago at a car auction and other than basic oil changes cars been perfect I think when I bought the car at the auction it was nine months or a year old so I had warranty on it and hasn’t give me any problems I probably saved in reality about 50% or more

Thefishman1

Is there an auction in Pattaya?  I see a couple of auction sites in Bangkok but it did not look like there were many cars going through the auction.  

9 minutes ago, TheFishman1 said:

https://www.appleauction.co.th/Home

8 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Thefishman1

Is there an auction in Pattaya?  I see a couple of auction sites in Bangkok but it did not look like there were many cars going through the auction.  

Problem with auctions is you cant test drive the car.

2 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Thefishman1

There where  (in old normal before WuFlu) auctions held at the Big C south Pattaya branch carpark.

I would suggest contacting a couple of leasing companies.

Unfortunately with Covid many people have been unable to maintain payments and have therefore returned their leased vehicle.

This means that there should be a substantial amount of inventory of these vehicles available.

If able be patient and get the word out your looking .... You have made the first step ????

1 hour ago, Kenchamp said:

I was conned by Russian criminals but ymmv.

Kenchamp

How were you "conned" by Russian criminals.  It seems as though a large number of the ads on Facebook Marketplace for cars are Russian.  Not surprising since I would "think" that they are significant buyers of cars in Thailand.  However I know that many Russians are car/junk dealers and often sell salvaged vehicles that have been in accidents or flood.  How were you conned? 

Auction is a good way to go----I brought for Daughter many years back, the car was only 6 months old, the guy/guy must have stopped paying the moment the drove out the showroom, But it had every extra you could buy on it--so that's where the payments went.

I see a lot cars now on Facebook---take over payment's, they cant afford the payments in these times....

..Buyer beware of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nightfox said:

Problem with auctions is you cant test drive the car.

Can you open the bonnet to check it has an engine ?

Friend used to buy scoots at auction, sometimes they had no motors which was only revealed after the auction was finished !!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

Can you open the bonnet to check it has an engine ?

Friend used to buy scoots at auction, sometimes they had no motors which was only revealed after the auction was finished !!

Do you mean he didn't notice there was no engine under the scooter, when he inspected the auctioned goods before the auction like everyone else, or you are trolling the forum as usual?

Answer on a post card please

3 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I see a lot cars now on Facebook---take over payment's, they cant afford the payments in these times....

sanuk711

I see lots of ads on Facebook but how are you identifying the ones that say to just take over payments?  Facebook Marketplace is awful in terms of trying to find a car. You can not sort by type of car, age, price.  Suppose to be able to but the sort function does not work?  I see lots with either no price or small price but I am thinking those are dealer offering financing. 

Sure those two would be a good starts. Then would check with your bank.

Who do they use for leasing and anyone else?

You will eventually narrow it down to a high volume place that has a good inventory and therefore saving yourself at least ( depending on age) 25- 40% from new????

Strongly suggest you get it professionally inspected and get it on a hoist and do a self inspection underneath.

Best of luck on your hunt.

Wish i were closer to you to offer assistance as for some strange reason i enjoy hunting for vehicles??????

12 minutes ago, Susco said:

Do you mean he didn't notice there was no engine under the scooter, when he inspected the auctioned goods before the auction like everyone else, or you are trolling the forum as usual?

Answer on a post card please

No inspection allowed.

34 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

StewB1  Such as Honda Credit etc or bank leasing company? 

Highly unlikely you are prepared to venture up to Chiang Mai but if you are, I should be able to get the number for the leasing Company my friend purchased his from ?

4 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I see lots of ads on Facebook but how are you identifying the ones that say to just take over payments?  Facebook Marketplace is awful in terms of trying to find a car. You can not sort by type of car, age, price.  Suppose to be able to but the sort function does not work?  I see lots with either no price or small price but I am thinking those are dealer offering financing. 

You (or better your wife) target and message the ones that have a near new car and a price .....of 3,500Baht/5,00Baht/2,900baht  they are usually the amount of the payments some have the number of years----some near new-may also have a price of 40,000---30,000 when you message them its usually what they want & you take over the payment. But the buyer is in a strong position as they usually have property & know that if the car is taken back and resold wherever, they will still owe the shortfall on it.....but be careful

• Like 1