Sabai Lodge being demolished

champers

On 9/21/2020 at 11:57 AM, shy coconut said:

How can they be assets if there is the reported over stock of empty condos, hotels and

malls?

Back on topic, I stayed there (Sabai lodge) on my first visit to Pattaya. Nice big pool

and gardens as reported, Central marina up the soi. Getting a bit shabby now and a huge

footprint, so not surprised at its demise, but a little sad/nostalgic.....

In normal times, there was not an '...over stock of empty condos, hotels and malls' in the Sabai Lodge area.  Both of the malls, T21 and Marina, were doing ok.  The hotels were doing so well that Amari decided it needed a big new addition focused on families.  Ozo Hotel also went up nearby, to join Brighton, Palazzo, Grand Centre Point, and other new ones.  Even now, most of these big hotels are doing well on the weekends with domestic tourists. 

There is also not an over stock of empty condos in this area.  Unlike Jomtien and other areas with dozens of new, large condo projects, both high-rise and low-rise,  the northern Pattaya Beach area just has Centric Sea Condo as the only large project that I can think of as a recent addition, to join the older Northshore, Markland, and a few smaller projects.      

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

In normal times, there was not an '...over stock of empty condos, hotels and malls' in the Sabai Lodge area.  Both of the malls, T21 and Marina, were doing ok.  The hotels were doing so well that Amari decided it needed a big new addition focused on families.  Ozo Hotel also went up nearby, to join Brighton, Palazzo, Grand Centre Point, and other new ones.  Even now, most of these big hotels are doing well on the weekends with domestic tourists. 

There is also not an over stock of empty condos in this area.  Unlike Jomtien and other areas with dozens of new, large condo projects, both high-rise and low-rise,  the northern Pattaya Beach area just has Centric Sea Condo as the only large project that I can think of as a recent addition, to join the older Northshore, Markland, and a few smaller projects.      

That area is turning into more of a family oriented Mid to Upper end Hotel area.  Places like Jomtien and Naklua are the big condo areas.

Edited by shdmn
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, shdmn said:

That area is turning into more of a family oriented Mid to Upper end Hotel area.  Places like Jomtien and Naklua are the big condo areas.

Yes.  There's been a tremendous amount of redevelopment in the last few years and that is continuing even now with several projects under construction and others being renovated.  I actually think this area is under-served with highrise condos and could support one or two more.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, shdmn said:

I agree.... last time I attended the Fireworks Festival I was at The North end of town and felt that way.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, newnative said:

Do you know what the new structure going up between sois 2 and 3 will be? I presume hotel, but could be a condo.

On 9/21/2020 at 8:08 AM, champers said:

Today at 5pm. Most demolition has taken place behind the restaurant (pic 1) and this area is fenced off. Peeking through a small gap I saw a lot of rubble still awaiting removal. No workers on site.

Hotel reception is pic 2, 3 is between reception and resto.

20200921_170127.jpg

20200921_170118.jpg

20200921_170112.jpg

so bottom line is so far they have only torn down the old wing that had the cheapest rooms behind

the reception along with the section to the right back behind the restaurant?  It seems they plan to redevelop only that portion but leave the front lobby/reception, restaurant, and other portions?  Is that correct?

41 minutes ago, operator said:

It's looking more and more likely that Sabi Lodge is not going to be demolished.  Some redevelopment of the front

area only.

You might be right, but I had a wander by a couple of times last week and there were no workmen on site nor any plant or equipment. When it was open, it seemed to cater mostly to Western tourists who won't be back any time soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course this is very clever of them, they are doing this rebuilding during the epidemic and have money to spend on this new project.  And hope it will be business as usual in 2021.   I have my doubts about that, more likely 2022-23, if tourists can afford to travel.

4 hours ago, balo said:

Of course this is very clever of them, they are doing this rebuilding during the epidemic and have money to spend on this new project.  And hope it will be business as usual in 2021.   I have my doubts about that, more likely 2022-23, if tourists can afford to travel.

Theres zero doubt that it "can" open in March 2021 but as you say I think it will be 2022 at least or later before tourists will be inclined to travel

If restrictions remain quarantines and ludicrous hoops to jump through and no one will come to any hotel anytime soon

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Is there any new news re renovation or demolish of sabaii lodge?  I just booked for october of 2021 but not real clear if it will all still be under construction of some sort..

anybody in pattaya that can take a look and update what is going on?

thanks

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, Chivas said:

I'm hearing that the Sabai Lodge has now been razed to the ground completely, I cant vouch for it personally I might add but sounds like the end has come

The part that had been left standing closest to Second Road has now been demolished.  

24 minutes ago, newnative said:

The part that had been left standing closest to Second Road has now been demolished.  

You mean the outer side on Soi 2 that faced the road itself ??

Edited by Chivas

On 8/7/2020 at 9:09 PM, bkk6060 said:

Well, it is not claims it is the truth.  I guess you think the real estate market is healthy and things are selling big time?  

Phattarachai Taweewong, associate director of research for Colliers, said the impact from the virus on the condo market will be severe in Pattaya, where the market relies heavily on foreign buyers, particularly from China.

According to Colliers research on the Pattaya condo market, unsold supply exceeded 25,000 units at the end of 2019, up from 12,800 units in 2018.

And this was the end of 2019.  Probably 30,000 units by now. 

I have a friend who is an agent and has worked here for several years.  She said this by far is the worst time ever her agency which is rather large sold 2 properties last month. It is all a glut of dead money nothingness with no end in sight.

What agency? I'm always in the market for a super bargain as I'm sure there are many others. She would appreciate the plug 

Edited by madmen

• 2 months later...

The Hotels own website is Live again and a search for November now throws up room prices

Clearly rooms that were available in the past have now gone or have been rebranded

Anyone on the ground care to have a look up the Soi if you're in the area to see if any construction (or destruction) is underway

Thanks

6 hours ago, Chivas said:

The Hotels own website is Live again and a search for November now throws up room prices

Clearly rooms that were available in the past have now gone or have been rebranded

Anyone on the ground care to have a look up the Soi if you're in the area to see if any construction (or destruction) is underway

Thanks

No construction that I could see in the demolished area.  Just some 'farm' plants that had been planted on the now open land.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not entirely convinced by one of the Receptionists posts yesterday showing new photos of Sabai Lodge with the main swimming pool reconstructed aligned with new sunbeds

What it doesn't show is the Soi 2 side by the road where the outer building was apparently demolished

I see no reason for her to fake photos (even if she could) but its open for business from her point of view and openly communicated to me

It was only yesterday so there may well have been hasty reconstruction since last post on the thread 7 weeks ago roughly. Does seem rather quick to say the least I agree !!

Edited by Chivas

On 8/6/2020 at 12:15 PM, newnative said:

It's encouraging that new hotels are still being constructed and some older ones are using this down time to repaint and remodel.  Work continues on a new highrise hotel on Naklua Road and the big Centre Point 2 project in Wongamat is also progressing--I noticed 2 big cranes on site the other day.  Several condos in Jomtien are also still being constructed--Copacabana, Riviera Ocean Drive, Riviera Monaco, and a new showroom on the old Ocean One site for something going in there.  

Didn't this unbridled optimism lead to the crisis in '97?.....Just a thought?

20 minutes ago, Chivas said:

I'm not entirely convinced by one of the Receptionists posts yesterday showing new photos of Sabai Lodge with the main swimming pool reconstructed aligned with new sunbeds

What it doesn't show is the Soi 2 side by the road where the outer building was apparently demolished

I see no reason for her to fake photos (even if she could) but its open for business from her point of view and openly communicated to me

It was only yesterday so there may well have been hasty reconstruction since last post on the thread 7 weeks ago roughly. Does seem rather quick to say the least I agree !!

I haven't been up the soi for a while but I will be in the area tomorrow and will take a look for you. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, champers said:

I haven't been up the soi for a while but I will be in the area tomorrow and will take a look for you. 

Yes have a look thanks.....does seem rather strange I'd be the first to say.......May well be they constructed an outer wall lining Soi 2 and simply sorted out the pool and surrounds

Its clearly not artists impressions because there are photos of upgrades to rest of the complex albeit mainly cosmetic