Extension of Stay Based Upon Marriage Done Today Here In Ubon

Did my first one 8 days ago in Cap Choeng. Had the house visit today. 

Only thing they asked for that I didn’t have was 4 pictures of me and the wife literally pointing at our bedroom, living room, kitchen, and mailbox. We were standing there but no, you’ve got to literally point at it. 

House visit wasn’t bad. 40 minutes at the kitchen table. We had 2 witnesses. 

I got an under consideration stamp for what appears to be 6 weeks when I applied. Is that normal?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

I got an under consideration stamp for what appears to be 6 weeks when I applied. Is that normal?

Yes it is normal here in Issan. The start the 30 days from when you current extension or permit to stay ends.

Mine is about 6 weeks from today since I did mine about 13 days early.

No complaints about my photos.

Also no home visit for me since this is my 13th one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This year I'm switching from my O-A Retirement extension of stay to an O-A Marriage extension of stay.  Will do this at CW/Bangkok immigration.   Wanted to do a border run to kill off the O-A and then start the process to switch to a Non-O within Thailand....but hey, COVID blew that plan out of the water.

Anyway, just to reconfirm, on the day you apply for your marriage extension of stay that date will be the start date of your extension upon extension final approval with the end date one year later.   It's not based on the end of the under consideration period.  Correct?

And then next year to renew the marriage extension if I apply say 13 days early for renewal then I lose 13 days off the current extension since it's not like renewing a retirement extension of stay where if you apply for renewal early you don't lose any time.  Correct?

Edited by Pib

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

Anyway, just to reconfirm, on the day you apply for your marriage extension of stay that date will be the start date of your extension upon extension final approval with the end date one year later.   It's not based on the end of the under consideration period.  Correct?

No

It will normally start when the current extension ends. At the end of the under consideration period they will do the one year extension stamp backdated to when your extension ends.

But when you change the reason for your extension from retirement to marriage they will start it on the day you apply. When doing a change they consider your current extension as being canceled when you do it.

6 minutes ago, Pib said:

And then next year to renew the marriage extension if I apply say 13 days early for renewal then I lose 13 days off the current extension since it's not like renewing a retirement extension of stay where if you apply for renewal early you don't lose any time.  Correct?

No

You can still do your extension up to 45 day early and you will lose no days. There is no difference between the 2 types of extension other than the under consideration period. At CW they start the under consideration period on the day you apply.

• Like 2

ubonjoe,

Wow....thanks for the clarification....that good news to my ears.  Somehow over the last dozen years of only doing renewal of my retirement extension of stay I got it in my head for a marriage extension of stay you lose time if you renew early each year.  Example,  apply for renewal 10 days early and your new extension starts from that date after all the under consideration/approval period.  And if doing that year after year your extension date keeps moving backwards.      

One more question if I could...it regards the pictures.  I know I need one showing me and the wife pointing/standing in front of our house number/address.  But what do the remaining pictures need to be?  Us setting on our bed, standing in front of our clothes closet, standing in the kitchen, etc.  Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Pib said:

One more question if I could...it regards the pictures.  I know I need one showing me and the wife pointing/standing in front of our house number/address.  But what do the remaining pictures need to be?  Us setting on our bed, standing in front of our clothes closet, standing in the kitchen, etc. 

Not sure pointing is required in Bangkok. Just both of you and your wife with the house number shown.

I do one photo showing the mail box with the house number on it with my family in it.  And one from the street showing the house.

And one with my wife and I sitting on the bed and another one of us sitting on the sofa together. Both show some the room we are in.

You might want to do a few more in the house since I am not sure exactly what CW want.

• Like 2

I always have 2 pictures in front of my condo (So you can see the room number) and 2 pictures in the living room.
There was never a complain that there have to be a specific picture in bedroom or something!
I do my extensions in CW Bangkok. But I do the pictures on different days, so we were different clothes!

Ohhh, I print all 4 pictures on 1 A4 side. And the last few times it was accepted.

• Like 1

Hope this is not off topic, mod if it is please move to the correct place. I'm in the process of getting divorce and my NON-O base on marriage visa will be cancelled. Have a kid, and went to Imm to understand what has to be done; was told, to switch, to parent of a Thai National, they need, the Divorce Certificate, and the court order to see who has custody, and everything else as the marriage visa extension, with the addition of, child school address, letter & photos.  

I will like to know what are the requirements of the Elite 5 Yrs Visa, and what are the Pros & Cons of this visa, instead of Parent of a Thai National. I prefer this route, if I do not have to go each year to renew this Elite Visa.

1 hour ago, node said:

I will like to know what are the requirements of the Elite 5 Yrs Visa, and what are the Pros & Cons of this visa, instead of Parent of a Thai National. I prefer this route, if I do not have to go each year to renew this Elite Visa.

I am not aware of any cons for the Thai Elite visa other than the cost of it.

The visa is valid for 5 years and allows unlimited one year entries to the country. No need to apply for a extension unless you do not leave and re-enter the country for a year.

Info about them is here. https://www.thailandelite.com/#/

• Like 2

Photo requirements always seem to change at Jomtien. Last year put 4 on one a4 and was told Max 2 per a4. This year gave them 6 each on individual a4 and they gave back the kitchen one and kept a historic one with son and dog. They did like an additional one showing street. Last year wanted proof of source of funds. This year didn't want anything.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pib said:

One more question if I could...it regards the pictures.  I know I need one showing me and the wife pointing/standing in front of our house number/address.  But what do the remaining pictures need to be?  Us setting on our bed, standing in front of our clothes closet, standing in the kitchen, etc.  Thanks.

It can vary slightly from office to office.

One outside the house with a clearly visible number.

Another outside the house clearly showing a full frontal view of the property.

One sat in the lounge.

One sat on the bed, is what I always supply.

Two photo's per A4 sheet.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Slight disagreement with UJ.

I guess you missed this in my post.

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

But when you change the reason for your extension from retirement to marriage they will start it on the day you apply. When doing a change they consider your current extension as being canceled when you do it.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Slight disagreement with UJ.

If your changing the reason of applying for the extension, (retirement to marriage) then your new extension start date will be from the date of application, unless you applied on the last day of your current extension.

That's what UJ said also.  He said when changing the reason for the extension, the new extension start date date will be from the application date

Just now, Pib said:

That's what UJ said also.  He said when changing the reason for the extension, the new extension start date date will be from the application date

Yep, I missed that part and have apologised to UJ.

52 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

It can vary slightly from office to office.

One outside the house with a clearly visible number.

Another outside the house clearly showing a full frontal view of the property.

One sat in the lounge.

One sat on the bed, is what I always supply.

Two photo's per A4 sheet.

Thanks.  "Two" photos per A4 page.  Do the photos need to be that big.  I was thinking of doing 4 pictures per A4 page.   And it seems having a close up photo next to your house number and then a further back shot of the whole residence is a common requirement.  

20 minutes ago, Pib said:

Thanks.  "Two" photos per A4 page.  Do the photos need to be that big.  I was thinking of doing 4 pictures per A4 page.

Two per A4 sheet is pretty standard at almost all IO's.

20 minutes ago, Pib said:

And it seems having a close up photo next to your house number and then a further back shot of the whole residence is a common requirement.  

Yes, I've done that for a number of years.

Don't forget two sets of all documents required including photo's.

Edited by Tanoshi

On 8/6/2020 at 4:24 PM, ubonjoe said:

Got queue number for extension and it was number 7 but board showed serving number 000. Then selected one for a 90 day report and it was called almost immediately.

I had skipped my 90 day report that was due in April and had the receipt for it. No questions asked and was given a receipt to do the next report on November 3rd.

Tried again just yesterday.

Everything in order, everything checked three times, money there, images etc.

Said as my visa expired during corona, then i converted to 60 day two weeks ago, not allowed to get as it shows corona in my visa stamp. 

Couldn't make this <deleted> up, no clue how you managed it.

1 hour ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Tried again just yesterday.

Everything in order, everything checked three times, money there, images etc.

Said as my visa expired during corona, then i converted to 60 day two weeks ago, not allowed to get as it shows corona in my visa stamp. 

Did you get one of those embassy letter extensions before the amnesty or why you have corona written on your stamp? 

11 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

I was already on my 12th extension of stay based upon marriage. I was applying for my 13th one and was not on a new entry to the country.

11 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Actually beginning to think, its phuket immigration, can you do this at another residence? say a home i have in the south?

If you live in Phuket that is where you will have to apply for your extension at unless you move to another province.

21 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

So, they still aren't budging on this. ????

As I understand it, per the wording in their announcement for this "final amnesty", those of us with it have now until September 26th to get our papers in order for proper long stay visas.

Well, looks like we're now doing just that. God. What's it going to take, guys?

Would it be known if Ubon Imm [Specifically } accept 2/3 consecutive monthly foreign transactions if applying for initial 1 year extension based on marriage ?. Currently on multi entry expiring Feb next year.

ubonjoe, I'll be coming back to Thailand on a Non Immigrant O visa based on marriage to a Thai with single entry. They wouldn't let me apply for the multiple entry. The previous 12 years I was on a O-A retirement visa.

So my question is, will I be able to switch over to an extension of stay based on Marriage to a Thai from my single entry? My flight arrives on the 21st of this month, so 90 days will be somewhere around the 19th or 20th of November. At what point should I apply for the extension of stay based on marriage?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

6 hours ago, Bobsuruncle said:

So my question is, will I be able to switch over to an extension of stay based on Marriage to a Thai from my single entry? My flight arrives on the 21st of this month, so 90 days will be somewhere around the 19th or 20th of November. At what point should I apply for the extension of stay based on marriage?

I assume you will be arriving on a repatriation flight and then will going into the 14 day quarantine.

You can apply for the extension up to 30 days early or 45 days at some offices.

Be sure you have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply unless you are using the 40k baht income option.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to ask this macabre question, but what happens to the married visa if one's Thai spouse dies first?  Does it remain valid and extendable?  If not, then the misery of the bereavement will be compounded big-time.

4 minutes ago, auntyedna said:

I'm sorry to ask this macabre question, but what happens to the married visa if one's Thai spouse dies first?  Does it remain valid and extendable?  If not, then the misery of the bereavement will be compounded big-time.

It will remain valid until it expires.

When it expires you have to use a different reason to apply for the extension,

• Thanks 1