Extension of Stay Based Upon Marriage Done Today Here In Ubon

7 minutes ago, auntyedna said:

I'm sorry to ask this macabre question, but what happens to the married visa if one's Thai spouse dies first?  Does it remain valid and extendable?  If not, then the misery of the bereavement will be compounded big-time.

It will remain valid until it expires.

When it expires you have to use a different reason to apply for the extension.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume you will be arriving on a repatriation flight and then will going into the 14 day quarantine.

You can apply for the extension up to 30 days early or 45 days at some offices.

Be sure you have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months on the day you apply unless you are using the 40k baht income option.

Thank you ubonjoe, 

Yes I'm coming in on a repatriation flight and going into the 14 day quarantine.

I have the 400k in my Bangkok bank account now so will apply 30 to 45 days early depending on the IO policy in Nakhon Phanom.

Thanks again for your help.

I hope I'm not derailing this thread but I have a related question - by the time my Thai wife and I get out of quarantine it is likely that more than 1 month will have passed on my 90 day non-immigrant O marriage visa.  Getting a Thai bank account will be the first thing I do (second actually, right after I go have a beer) but I won't have money in my Thai bank account for 2 months before the visa runs out.  Is it possible to get a short term extension without having the funds in place for the two month period?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give

32 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

I hope I'm not derailing this thread but I have a related question - by the time my Thai wife and I get out of quarantine it is likely that more than 1 month will have passed on my 90 day non-immigrant O marriage visa.  Getting a Thai bank account will be the first thing I do (second actually, right after I go have a beer) but I won't have money in my Thai bank account for 2 months before the visa runs out.  Is it possible to get a short term extension without having the funds in place for the two month period?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give

You can apply for a one time 60 day extension to your 90 day Non O entry.

However I'd get a bank account opened asap and get that 400K transferred.

You can then apply for a 1 year extension of your permission of stay within the last 30 days of that 60 day extension (120 days after entry) provided your 400K has been seasoned in a Thai bank account for 2 months prior to the date of application.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2

On 8/6/2020 at 4:24 PM, ubonjoe said:

No real problem other than the proof of the source of my income.

How so and what are they requiring from you or everyone to be accepted? Certainly one should be able to show a large bank account from your country and tell them it solemnly comes out of that if your retirement or pensions have not kicked in yet. For me I just keep money in the bank here. 

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

How so and what are they requiring from you or everyone to be accepted? Certainly one should be able to show a large bank account from your country and tell them it solemnly comes out of that if your retirement or pensions have not kicked in yet. For me I just keep money in the bank here. 

Many offices are wanting proof of the source of your income. The office here asked for it last year as well. They said something about the copies of  my income so a I pulled  out the originals from my folder and those satisfied them my copies were valid.

Proof the funds came from a saving account should be accepted. You could call it your savings for retirement. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

What's your IO?  Some IOs are notoriously picky when asking for proof of the SOURCE of the monthly foreign income transfers to your personal bank-account. 

There is no need to prove the foreign origins nor the source of the funds when using the funds-in-bank method for your 1-year extension of stay application.

2 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

What's your IO?  Some IOs are notoriously picky when asking for proof of the SOURCE of the monthly foreign income transfers to your personal bank-account. 

There is no need to prove the foreign origins nor the source of the funds when using the funds-in-bank method for your 1-year extension of stay application.

CM. But I do not do monthly income transfers as just keep the same 400k in the bank ongoing forever. I can say that CM has its share of nit picky officers.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

CM. But I do not do monthly income transfers as just keep the same 400k in the bank ongoing forever. I can say that CM has its share of nit picky officers.

If you are using the 400k baht in the bank option there is no requirement to prove the source of you income or to prove it.

12 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If you are using the 400k baht in the bank option there is no requirement to prove the source of you income or to prove it.

Thank you UBJ. Was just seeing what they were asking you for the monthly requirement. Good to hear you got past first stage on the way to finish line for one more year. 

I just did my marriage extension In Udon last month

The home inspection officers wanted me to be on retirement rather than marriage

This i take it is that they have less work to do and maybe get fatter envelopes

But apart from that it was easy and he was pleasant to me

The reason I mention this as when i did this 6 or so years ago they begged for money 

His partner no idea as did not speak at all for the 30 mins

Edited by noosard
addition

1 minute ago, mancub said:

For what it's worth, I visited Ubon { Ssrindhorn) IO yesterday and was informed that they will only accept the bt400k method not the monthly deposit "option" 

Did you ask them why as this is not the rule.

Just now, Malawi said:

Did you ask them why as this is not the rule.

Yes, I politely mentioned my understanding of the rule and was told something along the lines of "new rule-  can only use this method for retirement option "  I wasn't applying, but checking my options etc. I had printed foreign money transfers (Transferwise) to show and see if it was acceptable...., so I thanked the officer for his time and left it at that. 

On 8/6/2020 at 5:51 PM, ubonjoe said:

Not sure pointing is required in Bangkok. Just both of you and your wife with the house number shown.

I do one photo showing the mail box with the house number on it with my family in it.  And one from the street showing the house.

And one with my wife and I sitting on the bed and another one of us sitting on the sofa together. Both show some the room we are in.

You might want to do a few more in the house since I am not sure exactly what CW want.

The last time I did this in Mahasarakham we had a problem as there's nothing showing the house number so my wife wrote it on an old role with a market pen and wrote it to the gate. 

10 hours ago, mancub said:

For what it's worth, I visited Ubon { Ssrindhorn) IO yesterday and was informed that they will only accept the bt400k method not the monthly deposit "option" 

10 hours ago, mancub said:

Yes, I politely mentioned my understanding of the rule and was told something along the lines of "new rule-  can only use this method for retirement option "  I wasn't applying, but checking my options etc. I had printed foreign money transfers (Transferwise) to show and see if it was acceptable...., so I thanked the officer for his time and left it at that. 

There is no "new rule" that stipulates you can only use the funds-in-bank method when applying for your 1-year extension of stay.

If you planned on using the monthly-income transfer method to meet the financial requirements of your 1-year extension of stay application, and Immigration officer suddenly tells you on application that you cannot use that method that would be a disaster.

But he/she is totally WRONG, so in such case you should politely stand your grand and either ask to talk to the officer in charge or - while the officers desk - call the IO Helpline 1178 who will surely correct that officer.

I notice a worrying tendency since the last extension of the Amnesty of Immigration officers interpreting the rules 'as they see fit' and ignoring (deliberately or by misunderstanding) the prevailing IO rules and regulations.

Those not familiar with the actual rules and regulations, taking their local Immigration officers word as Gospel, will be an easy target for such behavior.

11 hours ago, mancub said:

I am sure there was reason for them stating that.

Reading your 2nd post it seems you only had proof of your transferwise transfers. You need a one year statement from a Thai bank to prove your income and it must show it came from abroad,

A I wrote I did my extension at the office here in the city and it was accepted using the 40k baht income option. It was 2nd one using transfers into a Thai bank.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure there was reason for them stating that.

Reading your 2nd post it seems you only had proof of your transferwise transfers. You need a one year statement from a Thai bank to prove your income and it must show it came from abroad,

A I wrote I did my extension at the office here in the city and it was accepted using the 40k baht income option. It was 2nd one using transfers into a Thai bank.

Not a mis-understanding, as I said, I wasn't applying ,but asking which docs would be required, by their specific interpretation. 

5 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

There is no "new rule" that stipulates you can only use the funds-in-bank method when applying for your 1-year extension of stay.

If you planned on using the monthly-income transfer method to meet the financial requirements of your 1-year extension of stay application, and Immigration officer suddenly tells you on application that you cannot use that method that would be a disaster.

But he/she is totally WRONG, so in such case you should politely stand your grand and either ask to talk to the officer in charge or - while the officers desk - call the IO Helpline 1178 who will surely correct that officer.

I notice a worrying tendency since the last extension of the Amnesty of Immigration officers interpreting the rules 'as they see fit' and ignoring (deliberately or by misunderstanding) the prevailing IO rules and regulations.

Those not familiar with the actual rules and regulations, taking their local Immigration officers word as Gospel, will be an easy target for such behavior.

Totally agree with your sentiments. I can satisfy the 400K req but would just prefer to do the monthly method. I don't subscribe to the "tipping" others engage in for an easy experience, but I also don't want to antagonize either, so I'll pay a visit to the central Ubon office first. 

17 minutes ago, mancub said:

Not a mis-understanding, as I said, I wasn't applying ,but asking which docs would be required, by their specific interpretation. 

Maybe you talked to the wrong person that may of said that since they do not want to deal with the extra paperwork.

Perhaps you should check with the office at Rajabhat University here in the city.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mancub said:

Totally agree with your sentiments. I can satisfy the 400K req but would just prefer to do the monthly method. I don't subscribe to the "tipping" others engage in for an easy experience, but I also don't want to antagonize either, so I'll pay a visit to the central Ubon office first. 

Thanks and do keep us informed of the outcome.

Also please note that there are no rules/regulations on how - once started - to switch from the Funds-in-Bank method to the Monthly Income-Transfer method (or vice versa).

It is therefore strongly recommended to enquire at your local IO at how to ensure you are still in compliance when wanting to do such a switch (stopping abruptly mid-way with one method and switch to the other, is bound to bring you in trouble).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Also please note that there are no rules/regulations on how - once started - to switch from the Funds-in-Bank method to the Monthly Income-Transfer method (or vice versa).

For a extension based upon marriage there is no problems with doing it.

Only for retirement is it a problem due the need to keep 800k/400k baht in the bank after the extension is applied for.

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For a extension based upon marriage there is no problems with doing it.

If you used the 400K funds method last year, but want to change to 40K monthly income method the previous year, you'll need 12 x 40K transfers.

If you used the 40K income method last year, but want to change to 400K funds method the previous year, then you only need the 400K in for 2 months prior to the date of application.

I've already been through both these scenarios at Roi Et.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Maybe you talked to the wrong person that may of said that since they do not want to deal with the extra paperwork.

Perhaps you should check with the office at Rajabhat University here in the city.

Yes, that's the conclusion I came to. Didn't want to pursue it as I am fortunate to be able to meet the 4OOK and prefer to keep it amicable if I continue on that path. The officer ( the only one there} was happy, however, to accept the 60 day extension application, if needed.