Driving License Renewal With Thai House Registration

Paul9989

I went to renew my 5 year car driving license at DLT and normally I am able to use my yellow book house registration as evidence of residence address. I have been doing it this way for years without ever a problem.

But this time they told me that I still need to get a letter from the Immigration Department to confirm my residence address in Thailand. The person I spoke with at DLT was someone who checks documents at the information counter in the lobby and who issues queue numbers, but who was not one of the actual officers who you normally submit your renewal application too.

Does anyone know if this information I was given is correct or if I can still use my yellow book for purposes of proof of address in order to renew the driving license with?

Or is there some easier way to proceed knowing that I already have an official proof of residence document issued by the Thai government?

I would rather not have to spend the time and money getting the residence address certificate from the Immigration Department if it isn't actually necessary. 

Thanks.

Edited by Paul9989

Absolutely ridiculous - There is no better proof of Residence than the Yellow book. 

That said, when I renewed my licences (in Jan) the DLT were more interested in getting copies of the Pink ID card than the yellow house book (the pink ID card also has your address on it). 

Advice: Go to you local Amphur Office and get a Pink ID card (its a quick process). 

Then try again at the DLT, or try again at a different DLT office. 

Thank you. That is what I thought, ridiculous. It is the best proof there is. But isn't there an official guideline on this somewhere as to what the law is? They can't just make this up as they go.

Also, I thought you can only renew at the DLT office within your district of residence? 

Edited by Paul9989

On the DLT website it doesn't talk about the yellow book or pink card being acceptable though:

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/

If you scroll down it says the following:

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [BY YOURSELF] FIVE-YEARS DRIVING LICENCE HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1    ORIGINAL FIVE-YEARS THAI DRIVING LICENCE
    2   PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
    3   ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY