Where is the best Masala Dosa in Thailand ?

RubbaJohnny

Having spent long periods in Chenai and Penang amongst my favourite tiffin (snacks is the  Dosa or Thosai.

With borders closed my 4 annual visits to Penang are off so seeking nearer home.

It is basically a riceflour pancake cooked very very fast and thin.

It has been rated highly by world food critics as a healthy savoury and easily found in Sri Lankan Tamil cafes of Tooting UK and anywhere with a sizeable Tamil population.Ipoh, Kula Lumpur etc IMHO the finest are to be had in many places in Georgetown's littel India around Church Street near teh Penang Ferry Terminus.

It may be stuffed with anything, but the classic is the Masala curried potatoes in a spicy gravy usually served on a banana leaf in traaditional places or a metal tray with 3 sauces, samabal, coconut and tomatoe chutney and many other combos to taste.

Many years ago (20-25) there was a place in Soi Rambutri and the  Madras Lodge way down Silom near Indian temple had a fair attempt with Indians who knew how it should be.

I'd be particularly interested if any availabe up North C Mai, C Rai

.Failing that Lat Prao where I'll be visiting.

While happy to attemot DIY its impossible to get all the ingredients here.

For those who have never tried do !

Thosa.jpg

Edited by RubbaJohnny
add pix
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RubbaJohnny said:

While happy to attemot DIY its impossible to get all the ingredients here.

Maybe give the Phahurat area of Bangkok on Chakkraphat Rd which comes off the Phra Pokklao Bridge. Known as Little India, if they don't have it, I'm sure they will direct you. Many of these Indians speak English.

• Like 1

Yes  know that area years back , used to get cotton shirts made up, However mainly Sikhs Muslims and North Indians who prefer roti and chapatti to their southern cousins, though a great place to get teh Haldi, Fenugreek and other spices for teh authentic flavour.

Next time I can get to penang or Chenai I'll get a slillet and enough spices sent home for couple of years. teh coconut, tomatoe and potatoes are easily availble here, its fresh cumin cardomom, asafoetida and vanilla pods hard to source.

Should you be in that area be very graeful for phine number email of a grocer who Im sure would post for a price. there used to be a shop next Sportsman in SUK SOi 11 who had all the Pataks chutneys and few other bits but not all.

Perhaps I'll just have to sit it out and make do with Masaman

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a lover of masala dosa I can understand your need to find them in Thailand.

As for making them at home...good luck 

I tried with no luck . I think it's something you need serious hands-on tuition and the proper cooking surface.

Another place to look for restaurants is in Prague nam area small sois 

Lots of Indians and Sri Lankan eateries.

Can't remember if I ve seen dosa on the menu but they do have string hoppers .

A Sri Lankan favorite for breakfast.

In Silom- Silom Arcade - Silom Soi 19 is just next near to Holiday Inn on Silom Road. There is South Indian Restaurant on 1st Floor. On Ground Floor there is Taste of Mumbai restaurant which does Indian Mumbai Delicacies. Also Dosa King on Sukhamvit Road.

In Pattaya Chennai - Madras Cafe opposite Central Festival on 2nd Road.

On 8/6/2020 at 10:27 AM, ratcatcher said:

Maybe give the Phahurat area of Bangkok on Chakkraphat Rd which comes off the Phra Pokklao Bridge. Known as Little India, if they don't have it, I'm sure they will direct you. Many of these Indians speak English.

43 years ago, we used to have a favorite little place down there to get lunch.  Just literally a hole in the wall in an alley with about 3 booths.  Near the big Indian cloth market. Cheap as chips and even got a write-up in one of the papers. Yaowarat/Pahurat area. On the street, there was a distinguished Sikh (?) gentleman selling some small fried dough balls.  Excellent.  I went back about 15 years later and he was still there!  By that point, he had an assistant, who told me that the guy had visited relatives in the U.S. ????

One visit to Singapore way back, I ate breakfast in an open front restaurant.  Long rows of picnic tables/benches.  They served Vada donuts with a bit of watery Dal and coconut chutney on a banana leaf for 50 cents U.S.  It's hard to eat soup with your right hand off a banana leaf, LOL.

An Indian bakery over town here in the U.S has an all-you-can-eat Masala Dosa day for about 240 Baht.  The gal doing the cooking was Hispanic. :cheesy: 

image.png.b427a54c1cc57ca9f2c6cdfd3c5b28fa.png

• Like 2

• 1 month later...